• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help replacing internal slave and have questions.

RVAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my slave and I was wondering the skill level you would say it is on a 1 to 10? 1 being adding washer fluid and 10 being rebuilding the engine. Also how much did all the parts necessary cost you? I have just replaced the master so I just need the slave. I also need someone to help me. I have a buddy from school but he doesn't know anthing about dropping the tranny etc so if anyone around Richmond VA would be willing to lend a hand PM me. Oh yeah I have a 91 Laredo with the 4.0L and AX-15 tranny, and the slave IS internal.

Thanx again guys
Nick

Its a PIA, disconect both drive shafts and remove. Unbolt all linkages on the transfer case and remove, unbolt and remove the cross member, unbolt the stick shift from the tranny, remove then remove the tranny. The top bolt is a bad one. Once it's all apart you have two alternatives. First is replace what you have and put it all back together. Second is to find a 96 or 97+ bellhousing and convert it to an external, grab everything from the donor vehicle if doing that.
The job is about 5, mainly because of the removal of all the stuff from underneath. Lift will make life easier and it's not a job for one person unless you have some kind of a tranny jack. It is a ball breaker doing it on jackstands.. If you stay with what you have use a Jeep OEM dealer supplied slave, they last longer than the aftermarket statistically.

I just today dropped the AX5 on my 87 MJ for the very same fix.

You will need a few days for this being that you're not a stellar mechanic, ,but neither am I so.....

- raise BOTH axles as evenly as possible...unless you like cleaning up fluid that leaks from your xfer case when you pull the rear shaft....this may be a good time to drain both trans & xfer case to replace fluids anyway.

- disco the slave line, open the bleeder first and drain the system

- remove shift console from interior and shifter handle from the trans (4 bolts)

- unplug the harness from the engine, remove speedo cable, unbolt the other doohickey on driver's side of the trans (speed sensor maybe)

- you will need a mess of universals and extensions to get at the upper trans bolts but I did it...hopefully they aren't in too tight...use 1/2 inch drive tools, you'll need the strength (5 trans bolts and one nut)

- support trans (jack or chain through shifter hole) and unbolt rubber mounting bracket at back of trans...4 bolts are hidden inside the trans crossmember, then unbolt the crossmember, 3 bolts per side (I broke one of em)

- i didnt need a trans jack to get it out, but it may be helpful. I used a chain, 4x4 block of wood and one large friend.

that's an afternoon's work right there...and where I am right now...I remember most of the bolt sizes, you'll need a full spectrum of american & metric sockets and open ends...post up if you need more help

Alright that's a great start fellas thanx for the replies. Is there anything I should be real careful with when removing the tranny?? Any shafts that could be bent or anything?? Also how hard is actually replacing the slave?? Does it come already put together and it's just a bolt on piece or what??

Thanx for the speedy replies fellas.

Big one, start soaking all the bolts with powerblaster or liquid wrench, specially the ones on the cross member...
The tranny jack is a good idea if you have a paved work area, it will allow you to pull the tranny straight back for removal and allow you to make 'fine' adjustments when reinstalling. Check out a rental center or buy a cheap one from harbor freight. They are about $60 and can be used as a seat later on :D

http://www.harborfreight.com

Just take things slow, remember what went where and don't break bolts. Have plenty of Liquid Wrench available.

Slave is a "bolt in" component, although its not actually a bolt that holds it in...and ditto onthe MOPAR slave....I'm going that way if I don't convert to an external slave set up.
Be prepared to pay about $170 for a MOPAR slave...I went the cheap route and am replacing mine for the 3rd time.

Shafts are pretty strong, just make sure to slide them out straight just to be safe, don't want to damage the splines.

Back