• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on my rear axle ASAP!!

Try double nutting the studs on the wheel side and work them with the biggest breaker bar you have. There should not need to be any silicone on the seal.

Wow, that's an excellent idea and SOOO simple. I will definately try that first thing in the morning before I head out to use or borrow other peoples air tools. I'm shocked that I didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip. I'm soaking them in PB blaster right now just for a little added help in the morning.

Last edited:
I really appreciate your input on the silicone. That answered everything I needed.
In regards to the wheel studs, it seems I have PLENTY of guys offering up their tools. My first choice will be skwerly since he's local and all set up. I can just bring my axle shafts over and remove the studs at his place, option 2 will be Steve (91blackbox) and I will simply borrow his compressor and use John's (John Yarboroug) air tools in my own garage. Last option if the first two don't work out will be Justin (xjjeeper19) when he gets off work. If the hole air tool thing doesn't work out then I will be back to the drawing board to come up with something else. For now it looks like I'm covered in all regards. I really appreciate all the quick responses and help guys. I will post up again tomorrow night to let you all know how things went.

NAXJA to the rescue ;) threads like this are the main reason I stay here. :cheers:

Here's an update. I tried double nutting the stud and then used the biggest breaker bar I have. I felt it start to move and got very excited. So I kept cranking on it. Then I realized I stripped the threads off the stud and it never budged. I tried one more stud and got the same results. It was a great idea but didn't work. Now I'm back on the impact gun approach. I will stop by Skwerly's today after my dentist appointment and hope for the best.

maybe heat the axle a bit with a torch, try to get it to expand? gotta be careful you don't temper the metal though.

hmm.

Final Update: I finally got the studs off using Skwerly's impact gun. There were two studs (one on each shaft) that wouldn't budge. We ended up completely destroying the heads. We tried JeeperJohn's approach with double nuting the stud again, but this time we used both our muscle to get the two nuts locked together. Then Derek used his big ass breaker bar on the nuts while I used some big vice grips on the head of the bolt and we gave it all we had. We were able to get the last two stubborn studs out doing that. Thanks Skwerly. As of right now everything is back together and I just got back from a test drive with no issues. All is good.
I have one last question. I always use the same weight gear oil which is 85 140. I meant to buy that this time and I accidentally bought 80 90. I put it in so I could get the vehicle mobil. Will that weight be okay for a d44 with a detroit?

should be fine, its just a little thinner than the 140. Although I couldn't tell you if the detroit requires a thicker oil to work right, but most vehicles it doesnt matter much.

glad you got it taken care of! :cheers:

Final Update: I finally got the studs off using Skwerly's impact gun. There were two studs (one on each shaft) that wouldn't budge. We ended up completely destroying the heads. We tried JeeperJohn's approach with double nuting the stud again, but this time we used both our muscle to get the two nuts locked together. Then Derek used his big ass breaker bar on the nuts while I used some big vice grips on the head of the bolt and we gave it all we had. We were able to get the last two stubborn studs out doing that. Thanks Skwerly. As of right now everything is back together and I just got back from a test drive with no issues. All is good.
I have one last question. I always use the same weight gear oil which is 85 140. I meant to buy that this time and I accidentally bought 80 90. I put it in so I could get the vehicle mobil. Will that weight be okay for a d44 with a detroit?
The 80/90 is actually better than the 140 weight for that setup.

The 80/90 is actually better than the 140 weight for that setup.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. A little piece of mind can go a long way.

Glad the test drive went well. Those wheel studs were quite an ordeal. That POS impact gun really is a waste of money and material. I'm glad it broke. I ordered an IR one that was literally twenty dollars more than I paid for that useless impact.

We had to resort to white trash tools, but we made rather quick work of it once we got going. Feel free to drop by any time, man! I have the room, and I'm finally starting to get the tools. :D

skwerly to the rescue.... its amazing what a couple of rednecks can due in a drive way huh lol

We had to resort to white trash tools, but we made rather quick work of it once we got going. :D

With the last name Hicks you had to expect we would eventually resort to white trash anticts. It's in my blood.

Back