• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on Idle issue Maybe IAC problom

Glad I could be a service :) , And I apoligize in advance to all involved for being so long winded

Keep alive memory is basically the PCM's memory of the adaptive settings that it can adjust to suit your vehicles running conditions. Funny enough here I am on a jeep board giving advice on a jeep and I am not tottally 100% sure how to reset it on a jeep ( I have a scan tool that I can do it with but that is ford) you generally disconnect the battery for 5 to 10 minutes, and may have to leave a door open or such. BUT!!! if the root concern that origionally caused this behavior, ie A/C low w/ frequent cycle times is not repaired, you are going to be right back were you started very quickly if not immediatly.
I like the Idea of swapping relays as mentioned earlier. I would also charge the A/C, (come on, its june in AZ do you really need an excuse?) and then Clear KAM.
best of luck.

Ok Update.

1 battery was unplugged and door open for 8 hours. Still have the problem

2 My "relay center" does not house the A/C relay. The Powerdistribution center block under the hood does.

3 There is nothing that says "latch" either under the hodd, in my chilton manual or the owners manul that tells you what fuses and realys are what.

Any other name for this "latch relay"

pulled every fuse, and relay atteched to the A/C and it still does. it. I am running out of options and am almost ready to take it to the dealer. for the 1 hour diagnostics check. 85 bucks to say this part is bad. is almost worht saving on the headache. But i would rather fix it myself.

Last edited:
lawsoncl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet308
Your shot in the dark was a Bullseye!!!!!!!!

The temporary rev coinsides with the AC compressor shutting off.

Funny, I think I asked about the ac running earlier in this thread.

You did asked if it was running and i replied. but got no further reason as to the asking of the question. it revs no matter if the AC is on or off or the fact that u pull every plug, fues andrealy to kill the AC and it still does it.

All advice is being taken in this problem no ones idea is being turned down.

Last edited:
ramjet308 said:
You did asked if it was running and i replied. but got no further reason as to the asking of the question. it revs no matter if the AC is on or off or the fact that u pull every plug, fues andrealy to kill the AC and it still does it.

I asked about the a/c thinking it was probably just the compressor cycling, perhaps just as part of having the vents set on defrost vice actually turning the ac on. When you said it wasn't running, I figured I was off the mark and went back to lurking. I'm just as confused as you that the rpms are still erratic even with the a/c disabled.

Blkxjkrawler said:
this is kind of a shot in the dark here but when the a/c is on do the idle fluctuations coincide with the compressor clutch engagement? I have seen a/c systems with low charge have fast cycle times and the engine management adjust the idle speed accordingly. even stranger was that it carried over to when the a/c was off, recharged system and cleared the KAM (keep alive memory) and idle returned to normal.

Looks like your ECM is still looking at your low charge on your A/C. As BLKxjkrawler points out. Get the system charged and then dump the KAM.

Quote by Runnin on Empty
The latch relay stays energized for a few seconds after engine shutdown, to set things up for the next restart. Including the IAC. This time delay stuff on the rolling idle makes me suspect the relay.....

I called this earlier in the post and was told the IAC doesn'a have a relay.
Thanks for clearing this up.

FIXED!!!

The used car lot I bought it from agreed to let me take it to a jeep dealer. I Took it there and only paying for a 1 hour diagnostics charge they found it 4 hours later to be the Computer itself.

It had seemed to go into a perminent limp mode/"i will run with the last thing i knew" type mode. One of wich was kicking the idle up for the AC.

Either way I pay 70 for the diag. hour and the dealer i got it from picked up the rest of the 470 dollar bill. and a genuine mopar ECU for 70 bucks!!!!

Case closed

Thanks to all for all the help, ideas and info. I now have a fully running 96 XJ Sport.

Back