• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help Identifying this dana 44!

I bought it and wow the guy had new rotors, calipers, balljoints, pads and mile marker hubs all in the box never installed. Also new tre and bearings. The only question is the diff positioned to far to the pass side? Also the width of the axle from c to c with no hubs knuckles or rotors is only 51" but it looks as if all that installed will make the wheelbase much wider. Just the rotors and knuckles look like it will add 5" per side. I've tackled alot on this jeep so far like rear main seal and locker installs etc. But Im excited to learn about all this!

Here is all the stuff!
IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Those rotors are brand new but have sat for a bit the other side is shiny. Would I just sand it down?

Thanks! Will do. I mocked everything up yesterday knuckles outward. And is it hard to properly grease the hub bearings? Also the new calipers dont have any way to mount them how do they mount there is no holes or anything. Anybody know ?

Nope, for the Ford calipers, there are little pieces of metal that are probably floating around in that box of parts. The pieces of metal are like little wedges that are wedged between the caliper and knuckles.

I'll see if I can find a picture of them.

Edit: Here, you can see the little wedge being driven in, and then that gets bolted down.

big19.jpg

Last edited:
Ill check that out. Im having a hard time figuring out what brackets to go with. I heard the tnt truss shifts the axle toward the pass side is this true? If so I don't want the clearance issues so I looked int to upper mounts by rustys and lower I have rock krawler ones and upper trackbar mount maybe ballistic fab. Then the coil buckets from tnt or re. How do they weld the upper mount on the diff housing???

crystalcleanteam,
I bought a 79 that was retubed to 66-77 bronco specs/intended to be installed in a ranger as well:party: I will be putting it in my TJ, but I look forward to see how yours comes along.

Came as an empty housing, everything will be new when I'm finished. Let me know if you stumble into any problems and ill see if i can help you out.

(im a TJ guy searching google and ran across you, im on pirate as the same user name or [email protected])

Good Luck!

20767_262712316836_691971836_3904127_3860086_n.jpg

20767_270666071836_691971836_3930152_7262600_n.jpg

20767_270666076836_691971836_3930153_5892228_n.jpg

19567_279740576836_691971836_3964417_631990_n.jpg

12406_381516341836_691971836_4291600_101099_n.jpg

Nalin,

Glad to hear someone in my shoes. I got all the brackets but there are a few questions I haven't figured out yet.

1. What do I do about bolt pattern? The new axle is 5.5 and the rear is 4.5 I have really nice wheels that are 5 on 4.5 and don't want to change them?? I found adapters on eBay but some guy at a jeep place locally says it won't work and that they will crack???

2. What to do about shafts? The axle came with a short side and stub, assuming the original one but I have no clue how much was shortened on the long side. How do I measure? I hope they narrowed to a oem width of some sort for easability.

Thanks, Dan

Nalin,

Glad to hear someone in my shoes. I got all the brackets but there are a few questions I haven't figured out yet.

1. What do I do about bolt pattern? The new axle is 5.5 and the rear is 4.5 I have really nice wheels that are 5 on 4.5 and don't want to change them?? I found adapters on eBay but some guy at a jeep place locally says it won't work and that they will crack???

2. What to do about shafts? The axle came with a short side and stub, assuming the original one but I have no clue how much was shortened on the long side. How do I measure? I hope they narrowed to a oem width of some sort for easability.

Thanks, Dan
You physically can't put a 5x4.5 rim on the front 44, as the hub is way too big for the opening in the 5x4.5 rim, not to mention the hub will interfere with that bolt pattern if you could get it on there. Sorry man, you need to get new 5x5.5 rims, and convert the rear to 5x5.5.

is it just me or dose that diff look like its almost in the middle of the axle. i would think that it would need to be a few more inches to the drivers side

meh... i know that this was said 4 weeks ago at this point, but it sure looks to be the case to me. even the early bronco 44s had this problem uncut, IIRC.

Back