• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help finding motorcycle tires

jeeperjohn said:
I have a universal swingarm stand that I paid about $90 for. I'll sell it for
$50. I had a bitchen '99 Honda F4 untill I had an oopsie at Palomar. I hit a tar snake and lowsided bending the rear frame up about 6". I also broke my big toe. I had put a sh!tload of work into fitting Airtech fiberglass fairings and painting it red and white stripes with a blue nose with stars on it. Damn I miss that bike!
Yeah when you put a ton of work into something like that it hurts when you mess it up

jeeperjohn said:
I have a universal swingarm stand that I paid about $90 for. I'll sell it for
$50. I had a bitchen '99 Honda F4 untill I had an oopsie at Palomar. I hit a tar snake and lowsided bending the rear frame up about 6". I also broke my big toe. I had put a sh!tload of work into fitting Airtech fiberglass fairings and painting it red and white stripes with a blue nose with stars on it. Damn I miss that bike!
Lest anybody think I was just another "squid" who wrecked another bike, I have been licensed for ten+ years and had hundreds of miles just running Palomar with no prior incidents. I simply made a bad decision (passed a guy too close to a turn and got on the wrong line) and it bit me in the a$$.

Most of the "Bike Jacks" you see at Pep-boys & HF won't work on a modern sportbike. They're made for Harleys and bikes that have a frame that runs under the engine. Most newer bikes have the exhaust routed under the engine and using one of those style lifts will crush the pipes and the bike won't sit securely on the stand.

I'd take up JeeperJohn on his offer of a rear stand as it comes in handy for changing tires, chains etc...

You can also buy a front stand or jackstands under the fork legs to hold up the front end.

The older Kanatuna's won't allow a wheel wider than 150 and anything bigger won't fit in the swingarm. (and/or rub the chain)

Hope that helps.

Ride'on,

~C!~

jeeperjohn said:
Lest anybody think I was just another "squid" who wrecked another bike, I have been licensed for ten+ years and had hundreds of miles just running Palomar with no prior incidents. I simply made a bad decision (passed a guy too close to a turn and got on the wrong line) and it bit me in the a$$.
Yeah, I made intimate contact with pavement up there before. Wasn't anything stupid, I was following a slow line of cars through a turn and my back tire picked up a ribbon of oil......it was tricky stopping and starting at intersections with no clutch lever---------Hans

I have been known as "CRASH!" for over ten years thanks in large part to my motorcycle exploits. heh heh Fortunately most of my CRASHes were on the track.

Palomar was fun before the cops started cracking down up there.

Now I've decided to get into Jeeps. In a Jeep you have a cage around you, on a bike YOU ARE THE CAGE! LOL

Ride'on,

~C!~

AppleValleySlim said:
I have been known as "CRASH!" for over ten years thanks in large part to my motorcycle exploits. heh heh Fortunately most of my CRASHes were on the track.

Palomar was fun before the cops started cracking down up there.

Now I've decided to get into Jeeps. In a Jeep you have a cage around you, on a bike YOU ARE THE CAGE! LOL

Ride'on,

~C!~
Yeah, I can relate. The Jeep is what I bought with the insurance money.

OK so now I am legal I got my permit today, just gotta get signed up for the motorcycle safety class that the navy makes us take.

homebrew said:
OK so now I am legal I got my permit today, just gotta get signed up for the motorcycle safety class that the navy makes us take.
That MSF course is a good course, you'll like it. I urge you to spend the money and get leathers. Nothing but leather or ballistic nylon will offer you any significant protection if you go down. If you are commuting, your chances of going down are high. I can tell you from experience if you go down and you had leathers or a good nylon suit, you will appreciate spending that money. Have fun!

jeeperjohn said:
That MSF course is a good course, you'll like it.
I definitely agree. And it's a good investment in your life; according to the HURT study, 92% of accident-involved motorcyclists were self-taught or learned from family or friends.
jeeperjohn said:
I urge you to spend the money and get leathers. Nothing but leather or ballistic nylon will offer you any significant protection...
Seconded again, except for the ballistic nylon part. Even Kevlar has barely a quarter of the durability of full leathers. (See http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/faqs/2809-abrasion-test-cycle-sept-1988-a.html .)

Also, almost half of the fatal accidents have alcohol involved. Please, if you're gonna ride, stick to soda.

</soapbox>
--Hildy

I like soda :}

I'll third the "gear" sentiment. Even if it's hot and you're just going a few miles, motorcycle jacket, gloves and long pants at a minimum.

Helmet : how much is your head worth? All helmets are NOT created equal.
Jacket : whichever fabric you choose but I recommend getting one with armored elbows and some have a built in back protector.
Gloves : Good thick leather can't be beat. Road rash on your palms SUCKS!

I know full leathers may not be feasible in your budget or to wear to work so at the very least wear thick denim jeans and buy some motocross knee/shin guards. They'll fit under your pants, easy to take them off when you get where you're going and will save your knee's BIG TIME in a CRASH! Best of all they're only like $15

Boots : You may not be able to afford good motorcycle boots or wear them on a daily basis but they're worth the investment! At least wear good over the ankle protection and lace them up tight! Can't tell you how many times I've seen shoe's fly off in an accident.

Sorry for the long rant but I've been involved in the motorcycle scene for a dozen years and lost at least that many friends, and had double that number of injuries. I try hard to get new riders headed in the right direction off the bat.

Now go out there and have some fun!

Ride'on,

~C!~

Back