• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help deciding on a lift for my XJ

what do you want to know about it. ive installed them. my brother is running there 8.5. i tried talking him into the 6.5 but its his jeep and thats what he wanted. it goes really good, i just think its too tall.

Took a look at BDS. Everything under their 4.5" kit is add a leaf. I refuse to do add a leaf lol. I think I've decided on the RE 3.5" superflex kit. Found it on ebay with free shipping :) Now the question is....what type of shocks?

Yea I'm probably going to go with EMU's but how do I got about choosing what size and all business??

Hi dude,
my 2 cent comments.

RE 3.5 super flex with complete rear leafs will give you aprox 4 1/2 of lift, no less that 4. for 98XJ lifted 4 inches you WILL need a SYE to enjoy the ride as a DD. join a club/start searching for somebody parting out their rig.

for my taste I would say go with Bilsteins 5100 valved for a XJ 4" lift, same price range as the OME. OME are the best for comfort up to 3" lifted DDs when used with the OME springs ( RE springs are stiffer) ..I have no experience with rancho.

if you want a low cost reliable xj for your application -DD & moderate offroad- 31s are perfect, it is not required to regear, no need to change the rear axle, no trimming is required (bump stops needed) ... if want/need more off road performance, just drop an aussie/detroit in the front...you will be surprised with the offroad capabilities of a xj in 31s & locked,

lift your xj, find a decent set of used 31s, if dont like the performance and/or the looks, then start saving for the D44, gears, 33s,etc..

wheeling is as addictive as illegal drugs...but more expensive.

enjoy, go wheel your truck regardless the set up..if you break something then the upgrade is required.

Hi dude,
my 2 cent comments.....
Hey man,

Thanks for the input! I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with 33s. Regearing isn't that expensive at all and I don't mind that. I guess if I have to get a SYE kit their only about 400-500ish? Oh, and if I get a SYE is it required I get a custom shaft? Cause the SYE isn't that expensive, it's always the custom shaft, that I'm pretty sure you have to get, that cost so much. I'm liking those Bilstein's btw. Just ordered the kit actually, like 9 minutes ago, off ebay. RE 3.5" super flex with free shipping off ebay, brand new kit btw. Will a transfer case drop and shims on the back not fix the vibes from the angle of the lift? Appreciate the input!!!!!

Also...I don't plan on wheeling it too hard, but it's def gonna see some trails. Prob not any rock climbing right now, as it has the 30/35 axles in it with 33s I'm sure that's just begging for something to grenade in the front or rear. Idk I kinda like the idea of 31s with a locker. Maybe a OX locker?

Last edited:
I bought that exact kit.
here are the issues I ran into:

LCA bushings are worthless: about the 10th time you flex that thing out they will be gone.

get some limit straps and extended front brake lines you will flex enough to hang on the brake lines and bottom out your shocks and destroy them if you don't have straps.

the amount of flex you get from that suspension will soon destroy your upper arm bushings. not that bad to replace but you might think about upgrading all that as well.

other than those minor details :D I am happy with my RE SF kit.

to run 33"s you will need to trim and in order to run a SYE you need a custom shaft with a double cardan and a slip joint.

I bought that exact kit.
here are the issues I ran into:

LCA bushings are worthless: about the 10th time you flex that thing out they will be gone.

get some limit straps and extended front brake lines you will flex enough to hang on the brake lines and bottom out your shocks and destroy them if you don't have straps.

the amount of flex you get from that suspension will soon destroy your upper arm bushings. not that bad to replace but you might think about upgrading all that as well.

other than those minor details :D I am happy with my RE SF kit.

to run 33"s you will need to trim and in order to run a SYE you need a custom shaft with a double cardan and a slip joint.

No matter what you do get a double sheer track bar. Its not worth your rig and possibly your life to run a crappy tre style track bar. Even if the bushings fail in a double sheer bar the bar isn't going any where.

I pretty much suck.

I'm still working on getting the RE 3.5" installed. I have the front done, minus installing the quick disco because I need to go buy a T55.

So far everything is going ok. I sheared off both of the upper control arm bolts, but no big deal cause you replace those anyways. However, last night I did shear off both of the bolts that secure my rear shock to my unibody... so now I have that to deal with. Trying to get my left rear spring out and it's being a @#$^ I have the nut off but I can't seem to get the bolt out. Any tricks?

I'm still working on getting the RE 3.5" installed. I have the front done, minus installing the quick disco because I need to go buy a T55.

So far everything is going ok. I sheared off both of the upper control arm bolts, but no big deal cause you replace those anyways. However, last night I did shear off both of the bolts that secure my rear shock to my unibody... so now I have that to deal with. Trying to get my left rear spring out and it's being a @#$^ I have the nut off but I can't seem to get the bolt out. Any tricks?

heat!.... PB.... more heat!

I actually unbolted the shackles from the unibody and then used a hammer and a punch to drive the bolts out of the shackles.

replacing all the hardware is a good Idea. use either zinc plated or stainless.

Ah nice! I was thinking about undoing the shackles. I've soaked everything in either PB haha. My Ubolt bolts came off soooo easy it was nice. haha. Here's some pics, not much to look at yet...

My best friend:
WP_000008.jpg

Before lift:
WP_000006.jpg

The Kit
WP_000010.jpg

WP_000017.jpg

That @#$% bolt:
WP_000016.jpg

After the front is done, yes I know I have a flat.
WP_000018.jpg

Will probably hit it again tonight after work, if plans don't come up.

Back