• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help bypassing the NSS

KeffersXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I had problems with my NSS earlier this week, cleaned it and it has been working okay for the past few days. I have one ordered but I doubt it will be here tommorow. Tonight I went the gas station and it went out on me again. I tried to adjust it and no luck. So I started in trying to bypass it. I paperclipped the B-C connectors and nothing. Grounded the brown wire and nothing. Tried to jump the starter off and all it did was spark but no turnover. I really would like this thing cranked just so I can move it tonight. Any other ideas?

BASICS--year/engine/etc.?

If a Renix you can simply provide a ground wire from the GRND terminal on the starter relay to any convenient location--that is all the NSS does to prevent cranking, it interrupts the ground of the starter relay. Same for 91+, you need to jumper a ground to the relay's ground terminal but a little more difficult with the PDC.

When you got sparks trying to jump across the starter solenoid it was because you shorted out to something. The NSS cannot stop the starter from cranking when 12 volts is provided to the solenoid when the starter relay is bypassed.

Last edited:
1994 4.0

So if I run a ground wire to the negative on the starter it will start in any gear? Laying under the vehicle I assume that is the closest terminal to me. There is two wires red/black running to the 2 on the left, and then the single one that has a single wire going from the solenoid to the starter?

No. At the PDC determine which relay is the starter relay. Then you need to run a jumper from the negative contact to the fenderwell--you have bypassed the NSS and it will crank in any gear--note: I hope you don't let anybody else drive this until it is permanently repaired. People that have been run over aren't very friendly, and their lawyers are NASTY!

How do I got about determining which relay it is?

Now that could be the flaw in the slaw. Does your PDC still have the cover--used to be a layout diagram in those.

You need to run a ground wire from the start relay socket at pin #85. This will allow you to start in any gear.

Did you go by the posted '91 diagram to find the starter relay? On the '93 the starter relay is the 6th from the left and I am guessing that the '94 is the same or at least different from the '91. My scanner is not working or I would post a diagram.

I had the starter go out when I had a NSS issue. Try tapping the starter with a hammer while someone is turning the key to start.

Running the gearshift through all the gears several times may clean the contacts enough to make a contact in either park or neutral.

Yes it was the 6th relay from the left. The problem ended up being my starter. I had it tested and it was only pulling 5 volts and was very weak. Bought a new one and fired it up the first time. Had to use a wire from the starter to the battery though but I did get it cranked. I believe trying to jump it off last night with a screwdriver I kinda fudged it up.:doh: You live you learn. At least it is home now and my NSS will be here Friday. Thanks Joes Peters and everyone else for all the help, think I'm gonna get a membership here. I'm on JF now, but really do like it here.

While extremely pissed off and lying under my MJ tightening flexplate bolts I did it the dangerous way and used a wrench to short the starter solenoid terminal to the starter power terminal to turn it over so I could get to the next bolt without crawling out from under and goosing the ignition. Yes, I had it in park with the e-brake set...

I'm fairly certain that if you throw it in park, turn the key to run, and do the same trick, it'll start up.

EDIT: nevermind, you fixed it :dunce: welcome!

While extremely pissed off and lying under my MJ tightening flexplate bolts I did it the dangerous way and used a wrench to short the starter solenoid terminal to the starter power terminal to turn it over so I could get to the next bolt without crawling out from under and goosing the ignition. Yes, I had it in park with the e-brake set...

I'm fairly certain that if you throw it in park, turn the key to run, and do the same trick, it'll start up.

EDIT: nevermind, you fixed it :dunce: welcome!

I've done mine with a screwdriver. underneath the jeep is not a time to start questioning whether you put it in neutral or 1st out of habit.

Back