• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help! AW4 stays in 4th when stopping

Just found my AW4 manual, and yes the two identical solenoids are the shift solenoids and the one that's different is the t/c lockup. So yes, it's part number 5016120AA you need. If you pull the pan, the B solenoid is the one by itself towards the rear pointing forward.

The part number changed in 1995, but the earlier versions may fit. I sold a set of solenoids to a guy with a 98 and he said that they bolted up, but the connectors faced the wrong way. I think he trimmed the connector on one a little and it was a stretch to get the wire plugged in.

I really appreciate the help here…:wave1:

I just brought my Jeep back from the dealer’s ‘diagnosis’ which doesn’t tell me much. They wanted me to authorize another 2-3 hours of labor (at $95 per hour) just to diagnose this. I declined because $120 is already enough.

Here’s what their report states:

“Perform AW4 transmission diagnosis, found “P0705 Range Sensor” & “P1747 Solenoid B” shorted to voltage faults. Test electrical system, found problem is between transmission wiring connector and shift solenoid. Next step is to pull the transmission pan and start test at solenoid then go back through the wiring to TCM.”

Does it still sound like I need to buy a new solenoid and that will fix the issue? I really need to get this hammered out because my father just had surgery and needs to use the Jeep for a little while.

Sounds like they pulled the codes, and then measured the solenoid resistance at the TCU connector (maybe 15-minute worth of work, btw). Based on that, they want to pull the pan and measure directly at the solenoid to rule out a wiring problem.

Personally, before tracking down a replacement solenoid I would do the steps the dealer recommended. Pull the TCU connector and measure the resistance there, then pull the pan and filter to measure the solenoid resistance directly. I'm thinking it's probably bad, but the proof will be if it shows shorted or too high resistance. If you have a meter, it should measure 11-15 ohms I believe.

lawsoncl said:
Sounds like they pulled the codes, and then measured the solenoid resistance at the TCU connector (maybe 15-minute worth of work, btw). Based on that, they want to pull the pan and measure directly at the solenoid to rule out a wiring problem.

Personally, before tracking down a replacement solenoid I would do the steps the dealer recommended. Pull the TCU connector and measure the resistance there, then pull the pan and filter to measure the solenoid resistance directly. I'm thinking it's probably bad, but the proof will be if it shows shorted or too high resistance. If you have a meter, it should measure 11-15 ohms I believe.

Yeah...and the dealer told me they went over the "1 hour" allowed. That's why I just drove off. Also they had told me on the phone that the $105 plus tax was not hourly but a complete diagnostic...that was before I brought it in.

I can do some testing this weekend...couple questions.

1. If I test resistance from the connector at the TCM what should it be (I assume it should be lower due to the length of wiring)?

2. Does anyone have a wiring scematic of that harness for a '98 XJ?

3. I don't need the vehicle running for this correct? Do I ground one probe and stick the other into the correct pin in the wiring harness?

1. Service manual says resistance should be between 11-15 ohms. The wiring shouldn't add any noticeable resistance. Maybe a tenth of an ohm max.

2. Just PM'd you.

3. Measure with the vehicle off, TCU connector pulled off the TCU. Ground one lead and probe the connector with the other. The ground path for the solenoid is through the transmission -> engine block.

I'll go out in a few minutes to poke around. Where is the Transmission Control Assembly?

Ok, I tested at the harness under the dash with the following results:

#11 Trans Solenoid (lock up) = ~10.78 ohms
#12 Trans Solenoid A = ~10.81 ohms
#13 Trans Solenoid B = ~8.01 ohms (once it read 16.78 ohms??)
#26 Ignition (run/start) = ~11.92 volts

Note: The manual states the solenoids should show 11-15 ohms but they show testing the solenoid directly once removed from the transmission.

I assume there is a little resistance loss through the wires, so perhaps the first two solenoids are ok?? I would have to drop the pan and test directly to know for sure. I'm thinking to just buy a replacement solenoid B and 4 quarts of fluid and give it a shot. Does that sound logical or should I let a transmission shop look at it? I really don't want to drop much $$ into this rig if I don't have to. Should I replace all solenoids since I'm in there?

Is part # 5016120AA the one I need for sure? Can someone confirm the B solenoid is the one by itself towards the rear pointing forward?

I think it's almost fixed. :wave:

That's starting to look like the B solenoid wiring or the solenoid is suspect. I'd say the others are fine. Here's the link to the AW4 manual on Pirate 4x4 that indicates which solenoid is B (or "2" depending on the year). You should be able to confirm by looking at the color of the wire which should match the one at the TCU connector. Also here is the parts list where I pulled the partnumber from.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/AW4_manual.PDF
http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_reference.asp?section=2&ID=0

Back