• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Fuel Tank advice - 89 XJ 4l

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Was out camping on some rough back-roads over the last several weeks and occasionally noticed a faint gas smell at the rear hatch. Found the fuel tank 'sweating' fuel - not actually dripping - near the front left corner of the tank seam (of course it's difficult to tell where exactly the leak is coming from) at any fuel level over about 1/2 tank (as measured by the gauge).

Assuming I need a new tank.....

Is there a particular tank brand I should look for? RockAuto lists several options. Seems to me the original tank is about 75 liters ??????

It's the original fuel pump so I should at least consider replacing it or is the one that's in there liable to be better than any aftermarket replacement? Will a replacement fuel pump come with any necessary O-rings, hoses, etc to complete the job?

Is there anything else (I will replace the fuel filter) I should consider replacing while I'm doing the job?

1989 Jeep Cherokee LTD Two Door, 4L, I6, Auto, Selectrack.

Yep, I'd replace the tank.
Don't have a brand recommendation though.

If the pump has over 150K miles on it, I'd replace it
too. I've had good luck with Bosch. Fuel line is cheap,
so buy a section of SAE 10R 3/8" for the upper length
inside the tank, and the soft line running to the fuel
filter. The lines inside the tank tend to crack around
the clamps, so this is critical. Also use fuel injection
clamps instead of the screw type.

My previous XJ was an 89 2dr. Now have a 96 2dr.
I love the 2dr body style.

The fuel filler hose on my 89 was hard as a rock and had thousands of deep cracks in it. Might be something to have a hard look at before you swap a tank out.

Thanks guys.

I've been Googling.... seem there may be a problem fitting the original plastic tank protector to an aftermarket tank..... does that make sense?

I replaced the tank in my ‘91 last year with one I got off Amazon for the same type of leak you described. If you are talking about the plastic tank protector not really fitting as well, mine didn’t. I think you can see on the picture of the new one but it’s being held in by the straps but I think it was also held by straps and clips on both front and back. If I remember correctly, now there are only clips on the front. Hasn’t been an issue.

1733ca8f810c65ea1ef49a0bcf611631.jpg

2ac91bb12c23c8c0c2e497b3f0c52098.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back