• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Four Corners travel advice...

Bones

NAXJA Forum User
Well I'm back, not that I went anywhere other than work.

My vacation plans have had to change because of work problems and because of Hurricane Dennis (so much for the gulf coast trip this year). It looks as if my family will be heading towards the four corners region the second week of Aug (if all goes well with the other Dr's knee post surgery). I've been running the Damn hosp. for five weeks now, and have been on 24/7 call for nearly six weeks as he's been out post sx. I'm starting to understand why some employees go on shooting rampages at work :wierd: .

The knee surgery hasn't been exactly smooth with the other Dr, so dates are still tentative, meaning I can't do much planning ahead for lodging and such. It's also the reason I'm missing NAXJA's CO trip for the first time since we started this organization.

If we head towards the four corners, I figure if all else fails I can still tuck up in the San Juans and be happy (though the wife insists on "some place warm" this year after getting snowed on last Aug).

Anyone have any suggestion on where to go, or what to do in the Four Corners area? We plan on a rafting trip someplace, as well as the Mesa Verde tour, but I'm rather flexible beyond that. I want to get my son to experience Indian culture some. At 8 he thinks all Indians still live in tee-pees. I spent two summers working at a Navajo mission school in Farmington, NM when I was a kid, so I want him to know what things are really like.

We plan on tent camping and hotel stays depending on where we are, though without set travel schedules I know rack rate hotel stay will force more tent time that the wife will like. Anyone know of great campgrounds in the area? Is Bryce Canyon in Utah worth the extra travel time for a ten to fourteen day trip from Missouri?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Bones :skull1:

Hillbilly Penthouse:
0199-vi.jpg

first off i've been working in the four corners area for about a month and all i can say is lots of water it's been 100 to 110+ temperatures the whole time, even the locals say its abnormally hot. as for what to do there's not much besides rafting, although you are about 2 or 2 1\2 hrs from 8 state and national parks.

So Bones, is that your new XJ? How did everything work out on the old XJ?

Mesa Verde doesn't have any off road trails. They do have some campsites. Warning, it gets hot as hell down there. If you are into desert, you can go over to Hovenweep and check out the ruins, but you really have to watch the off road stuff down there. Most of the land is indian reservation and they can be pretty nasty. Fines can hit $1000 for screwing around off the trails and they don't take no for an answer.

Still the same XJ, Still haven't settled with insurance. Started having back trouble after I got back home (disk herniation the Dr says is from the accident). I was just released from physical therapy last week, though I still have things I have to do to keep up the strength. Insurance still thinks I only need about $1200 for everything (ESI's were $500 ea x2 and the MRI was about $2000, plus the months of physical tx and chiropractic). I bet they'll wish they settled back in Aug now. The biggest problem is that I haven't taken the Jeep off-road since the last CO trip because I don't want them blaming anything on the new adventures. Sucks, I feel like a prisoner of the Nissan Murano clan (for all your adventures "on road").

F'n insurance.

Bones :skull1:

Another "on-road adventure"
0187-vi.jpg

old_man said:
So Bones, is that your new XJ? How did everything work out on the old XJ?

Mesa Verde doesn't have any off road trails. They do have some campsites. Warning, it gets hot as hell down there. If you are into desert, you can go over to Hovenweep and check out the ruins, but you really have to watch the off road stuff down there. Most of the land is indian reservation and they can be pretty nasty. Fines can hit $1000 for screwing around off the trails and they don't take no for an answer.

we got there last year at 5 after 5 and they closed at 5. make sure you get there in mid or early afternoon.

then on the way throught NM a trannie blew up on the way home.

Monument Valley.

Navajo Tribal Park. Straddles the AZ-UT state line. Spectacular scenery, and you can be where they shot a lot of the old John Wayne movies. You can drive your own vehicle around the valley if you stick to the loop road, or you can hire a Navajo guide and go farther afield.

Nearest town is Kayenta, and there is a motel (maybe more than one by now). Not sure about camping, but I'm sure you can check it out.

I feel your pain Bones--literally.I'm dealing with 4 bulging discs,one of them also having a partial tear,from my December wreck.Go to see the lawyer on Aug. 2nd.Chiropractic isn't helping anymore so I go to see the neurologist right after Cofest.Bummer you cant make the event.

Bones The whole area is very nice...and HOT in august. Id also suggest Monument valley for a day or overnight trip and at the south end of monument valley is canyon de chelly. I think I can hook you up with your own personal guide navajo to take your own jeep through. It is the place of the Navajo death march and where Kit Carson quit scouting for the Military.

Mesa Verde is also a great spot

Great wheelin at Farmington along with the best BBQ in NM

There is a ton to see and do, what kinda stuff interests you? and your family?

I'm assuming you want to do jeeping and camping and see something off the normal tourist path, right?

There is a primitive campground at Toroweep Point on the north rim of the Grand Canyon that is a stone's throw from here:
orig.jpg

For Moab-type wheeling and scenery without the Moab crowds and civilization you could go do the Hole in the Rock Trail. Hike over to Moqui Canyon in the dry upper reaches of Lake Powell for some good Anazasi ruins. On the way you could also hit Arch Canyon and Hotel Rock.

Back