• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice/help from regular rockcrawlers

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I had my first opportunity to do some minor rockcrawling. It was great, to say the least. Aside from a minor disagreement my passenger-side front door had with a rock, the only damage I incurred (that I know of) is I managed to produce a lip on the outside edge of the axle-end LCA mount. I came off a rock pretty hard and it bent the bottom edge. I didn't have my rock rails on (I'm reworking the design), but they wouldn't have helped anyway.
What do you guys do/use to protect your LCA mounts, if anything? It doesn't drive funny or anything, so I'm not TOO concerned about it. I figure I'll just hammer the lip back down and maybe plate the sides a bit.
BTW, the only reason I'm concerned at all about it is that it's my daily driver. My wife went outside this morning and said "W.T.F. did you do to the door?!" Of course, she doesn't really care, she just knows I usually don't do any real body damage and it was all the funnier because she rarely swears.

Mini-skids. I know JKS makes some along with a few others. I just welded 1/8" plate to mine. JIM.

Big OOPS--I'm sorry. I meant to write that I bent the frame-end, not the axle end. Big difference. I already have some 1/8" plate across the axle ends of the mounts.

Timber said:
Big OOPS--I'm sorry. I meant to write that I bent the frame-end, not the axle end. Big difference. I already have some 1/8" plate across the axle ends of the mounts.

Cut the frame end off, and build new ones.

Better yet, build some radius arms (long arms) for the front. You can do it relatively cheap. Rod ends and bushings from www.polyperformance.com or other sources. Then some bracketry and lentgths of steel (either round or square stock, debate is in the air) and you are in business.

On the MJ mounts, you cut off the stock mounts, then weld these in their place.

Are they that much beefier? and do you know of anywhere to buy them? The MadXJ page lists part numbers, but doesnt say where they are from...? Dealership?

JNickel101 said:
Are they that much beefier? and do you know of anywhere to buy them? The MadXJ page lists part numbers, but doesnt say where they are from...? Dealership?

which were ordered as stock replacements for the Jeep Comanche (MJ)...
Part numbers for the lower MJ brackets are: PN 55005148 and PN 55005149
Those certainly look like Jeep part numbers if you put in a space after the PN.
I'd try the dealer.

OR, you could log into the MadXJ Group and ask Scott yourself ;D

Ron

Ah, yep, they are....lol...thanks :)

Checked prices on allchryslerparts.com and the left side mount is about half the price of the right side mount....$27 for the left, $47 for the right......

I totally forgot about the MJ mounts.
I'd do long/radius arms, but I'm only running an inch and a half of lift and I don't want to go higher--yet.
Thanks, guys.

Timber, thanks for bringing this up - now I have a new mod to do too :)

Back