• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nearly have my XJ buggy completed.

NXJ said:
This must be a new trend, roof-chopping and truggying with 31's? :confused1

Bigger plans for it in the future. Just trying to get it safe/stable for now. He bought it as an un-finished project for CHEAP (it was a roll-over, but mechanically sound)!! The roof was already M.I.A.

Hey guys, we're hitting "writer's block" on this one. Made some good progress on his cage, but we're undecided on what to do in the "C pillar" area. Any advice? Opinions? There's a huge space to fill there, and a verticle tube just doesn't look right. Thought about leaning it forward to match the angle of the D-pillar, but that didn't look right, either. We're stumped.

DSC02771.jpg

Why did you place the roof halo higher than the windshield and run the A-pillar tube intersecting the halo so far back? I'm not criticizing your work, just curious.

jjvande said:
cause it costs another $4 each time to fill up...OMG now i can't get my happy meal... I love how people freak about gas prices...
4.00 more a fillup? What planet are you on? I went from 60.00 fill ups to over a Hundred this last gas hike.

Thats over 40 a fill up more. Not 4.

XJSTANG said:
Why did you place the roof halo higher than the windshield and run the A-pillar tube intersecting the halo so far back? I'm not criticizing your work, just curious.

Well, we run in a lot of heavy brush/timber and have a more-than-occasional run-in with tree limbs and such. Just trying to help protect the windshield from impacts.

Edit: That sounded kind of confusing....what I meant was when off-camber in a ravine and such. Seems like we lose a lot of windshields from impacts at the top.

split the difference, go with half the angle of the d-pillar. and a horizontal brace from c pillar to d-pillar about halfway up to complete the look

That's not bad, I kinda like it. I'll run it by him to see what he thinks.

jjvande said:
cause it costs another $4 each time to fill up...OMG now i can't get my happy meal... I love how people freak about gas prices...

$1 more per gallon (almost) x 15-20 gallons = $15-20 more per tank, that's a pretty big differance. with my income, that's a huge differance in my budget.

BrettM said:
yeah, it looks a little funny because the pillars don't lean in toward the middle much. it'll work though, nice work.

Looks like an EB!

atx xj said:
ok so now u cant get 5 happy meals...man thats only enough to cure one or 2 good cases of the munchies...

well when you look at it like that it doesnt seem bad, but who uses all their excess money on happy meals??? More realistically, lets say, since this is a jeeping forum, that those $20 a week were going into the jeep fund. That makes it more of a stinger...

the point wasn't so much the exact amount of money per gallon, but that cali tends to cost about 1/3 more at any given point. for the record, i don't eat out often also because of money, and save money any way i can. but that's beyond the point.

as far as what originally started the gas comment, i think chopping without insane amounts of travel and lift can be a good choice, depending on the application. lower COG is one advantage. also, as in the case of the one i'm going to start on soon, the body may be trashed somewhat, thus requiring massive amounts of body/cage work. not to mention the cost savings possible by keeping it a little less complicated. not everyone needs a buggy with coilover 4-links front and rear. in fact, for most that's rather wasteful.

Those xjs are both pimp!!! Madmax how about some specs on yours----------Kyle

Back