• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA Member entering Four Wheeler's TTC

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Our own Dan Starc is entering Four Wheeler's Top Truck Challenge 2004. Here are more details from the man himself. Please support his efforts to get into TTC...it'll require a little action on your part, but with nearly 5000 of us here to vote, I bet we can help him out.

Thanks!
Woody
NAXJA President

Dan wrote:

Hi Folks

Some of you may already know, but after years of avoiding this, I was finally convinced to enter my Cherokee in Four Wheeler Magazine's Top Truck Challenge 2004.

I know, no 44-inch tires, no chrome, no 24-inch lift, no shiny paintjob, no fancy 60K rig…still, it may have what it takes to compete.

I also happen to believe that the driver & crew may be a factor in the competition as well.

Sure enough, as soon as we entered Top Truck Challenge, the folks from Four Wheeler came up with a new competition better suited for us, called Real Truck Challenge…too late, we had already entered Top Truck. We don't care, we just want to compete.

And compete we will. I am determined to do very well or break a lot of parts trying. Either way, we will put on a decent show, I guarantee it.

My rig has been around for a while, I have competed in national rockcrawling events over the years (yes, in a Cherokee) and I have loaded it with a lot of the right stuff. A stroker-6, coolers for everyhting, 35-splines inner & outers, high pinion Dana 60s, beadlocks, skidplates, gears, etc, etc, I won't bore you with details, just know it works. Some of you have 'wheeled with me d know the rig's capabilities well.

I am just asking you to vote for us when you get your next copy of Four Wheeler Magazine, due out in a week or so. You have to cut out the page, fill it out with ten entrants of your choice, including us. Tell your friends. Buy extra nagazines. Call me or email me and ask me to send you a copy!

I was told we may be the only Cherokee in the competition this year, so this is a bigger incentive to get voted in and represent Cherokees everywhere!

You can see some pictures of my rig here:

www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/Da...J/ALL2-pix.html
www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/Da...XJ/ALL-pix.html
www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/Da...004/ALLpix.html

This is a friend's website and he was nice enough to post them for me.

Please forward this email along to all your friends! Don't be shy.
Thanks for reading this, and if you also vote us in, double thanks!

Take care and hopefully you'll see us competing this year.

Sincerely,

Dan Starc
[email protected]

Last edited:
You can count on 4 votes from the Buckyxj household. Also the links didn't work for me and I would like to see some pics.
DIG IT!

I will make sure to vote for you. Good luck and take lots of pics!! :clap:
Stefanie

Top Truck Challenge: Where-When-How?

Hi Everybody

Thanks for the support, I hope to get enough votes to show up and represent Cherokees well.

The event is in Hollister Hills ORV Park in California in early June.

I can take a small crew with, so local, SoCal, and not-so-local ;) XJs who may want to stop by for a day or more (the event lasts a whole week) are welcome to come along, as Four Wheeler Magazine closes ORV the park for us!...again, that is if we get voted in. So please vote!

To vote, you have to get the latest copy of Four Wheeler Magazine, which should be getting to the stores about now (3rd week of February), select ten candidates to compete, fill out the form on the page of the magazine and send it in. I know it is not the easiest way of voting there is, but rules are rules...

Here's more info on the whole subject from a thread somewhere else.

Originally Posted by woody
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19860

Again folks, thanks a bunch for voting us in.
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676
Kirkland, WA
[email protected]

You can see some pictures of my rig here:
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/ALL2-pix.html
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/ALL-pix.html
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/DansXJ-Feb3-2004/ALLpix.html
This is a friend's website and he was nice enough to post them for me.

Dan Starc said:
The event is in Hollister Hills ORV Park in California in early June.

I can take a small crew with, so local, SoCal, and not-so-local ;) XJs who may want to stop by for a day or more (the event lasts a whole week) are welcome to come along, as Four Wheeler Magazine closes ORV the park for us!...again, that is if we get voted in. So please vote!

Hey, I'm a local to Hollister, well sort of. If I promise to bring a case of beer every day can I come along? :sunshine: Ok, seriously, do you take bribes? :wave:

I am such a wannabe.....

Bryan

PS you got my vote, my wifes vote and my 19mo old daughter's vote too.

you got my vote...and friends too.......you have one awesome rig!!!

Ive had a subscription to fourwheeler for a few years now and have been WAITING for one of you guys to enter top truck!!!!

cant wait to see ya go!! :clap:

good luck!!

CaptTrev

Thanks Capt Trev, thanks Bryan and yes, you are welcome to come along IF we get voted in...so vote! :)
Thanks again you guys.
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676

Dan Starc said:
Thanks Capt Trev, thanks Bryan and yes, you are welcome to come along IF we get voted in...so vote! :)
Thanks again you guys.
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676

One question, did you list the George Foreman on-board grill as a custom mod on the spec sheet? ;)

CRASH

P.S. The WCGIC will show up to help support your effort if the Tank makes the big show.

CRASH said:
One question, did you list the George Foreman on-board grill as a custom mod on the spec sheet? ;)

CRASH

P.S. The WCGIC will show up to help support your effort if the Tank makes the big show.

I'll help on the support crew, you will be cooking on the grill after you win, right?

hinkley

That's awesome, Dan! Looks like I'll be picking up a copy of FourWheeler and sending in my vote! Best of luck to you.

Dan has asked me to crew, spot, strategize, wrench, co-drive if necessary, and generally work my butt off on this venture. I've always had Top Truck in the back of my mind, but was never crazy enough to actually enter my rig. Now I have a chance to go and thrash someone else's rig. :D

Dan's rig is set up well, with dual D60's, a stroker, and all the good stuff. It should be pretty reliable, and will perform very well in some of the categories. With hard work and some luck, we could make a pretty good showing.....but first we have to get voted in.

With Dan crazy enough to enter, with a well prepared rig, and the WCGIC there to offer support, we'll show them what a REAL XJ can do. :D

More on Top Truck Challenge XJ

I have actually driven it from Kirkland Washington to Vernal Utah, competed in the then-ARCA (now RCAA) Rock Crawling Championship, and drove it back home. Did the same driving it to the Farmington New Mexico Finals and competing. 2,500+ miles round trip both times. I was the only one out of 60 competition rigs who did this. No, I did not break a thing.

I have actually towed my 24-foot, 6,000 lb travel trailer behind it to Moab and back, wheeling down there for 2 weeks during the stay, twice. Another set of 2,500-mile round trips.

I think the rig will be able to do well in some events but not so well in others (Tank Trap, Mud Bog)...we'll just have to see. I have a great temporary snorkel, plus I plan to relocate the TCU and ECM. Anybody out here with ideas or previous experience in this matter guys & gals? I'm all ears...

My spec sheet to be published is pretty minimal, I did not specify a lot of the mods as there are too many "little things" that make this rig what it is. It is still a standard-design XJ (no weird suspensions, etc) and as Richard said it is extremely reliable. As an example, the oiling system includes a pressurized auxiliary tank with 4 extra quarts which are automatically dumped into the motor (or not) as the pressure drops slightly under operation in extreme angles. This system also holds those 4 quarts at 40 psi and it automatically gets dumped and circulated through the engine every morning before startup, just by turning the key. I also use a giant oil filter, what would be NAPA's equivalent to a 1773 or 1515 (slightly smaller but still much larger than stock). Watch it, both of these filters require the replacement of the nipple onto which the oil filter screws into the block (Chrysler part # 53007564 or 53007563, it's the same part, costs $5 and takes 2 minutes to replace with a 1" socket)...So my oiling system has around 10.7 quarts instead of 6.

The rig has seen snow, sand, trees, muds, boulders, slickrock, you name it. It has rolled and survived almost completely unscathed wiht the first exo; it has rolled and survived completely unscathed with this exo, built with the help of a buddy who builds NASCAR frames & cages. Can't even break the glass in a roll.

I am glad that Richard accepted the invite, I think we'll make a great team. Al of those XJs in the area at the time of the event are welcome to stop by, we'll figure out a way around crowd restrictions ;)

I have now a larger George Foreman that accommodates more burgers, plus has a bun warmer...not that size always matters...

I like the "Tank" nickname for the rig; another friend suggested "The Judge".
I can go either way. Suggestions anyone?

BTW I think Four Wheeler magazine may be coming out today with the voting forms...I hope they picked a decent picture of the rig! I only had a few of the with enough resolution to make them acceptable, so we'll have to see...

Hey Mark, bring the "XMJ" when you come visit us at Hollister! I will do all the cooking so don't worry about anything...just for us to be there well be good enough for me! If we get voted in, we plan to bring our travel trailers and stay at the park, sort of a Headquarters.

Crash, the grill was omitted from the spec sheet. I don't need to tell them yet; it is an "ace up our sleeve" for now, in case we need it during judging...heheh... ;)

Well, enough talk.
Thanks all and hope to get your votes for this year's event, especially if we are the only XJ there...

Thanks again,
Dan Starc

The Four Wheeler TTC '04 issue is out! Get ready to vote!

Hi All

I just saw the April 2004 issue of Four Wheeler Magazine which happens to contain the voting form. There are 50 rigs chosen, from which 10 will compete. There is only one Cherokee XJ, mine. It is listed as rig #2, NUMBER TWO, please remember this and vote my rig, Richard G and me in!! :worship:

To recognize the correct magazine issue, there is a blue Ford F-150 on the cover and the letters "FOUR WHEELER" are in bright yellow. I am counting on the hardcore XJ crowd to vote for us even if it is because we are the only XJ entered this year.

The picture of my rig posted on the magazine plain stinks compared to most of the ones on these links:
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/ALL2-pix.html
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/ALL-pix.html
http://www.wagoneers.com/XJ/rigs/DanStarc-89XJ/DansXJ-Feb3-2004/ALLpix.html

This is because I did not have good resultion on most of my pictures...oh well...

Again, thanks to those who regularly buy the magazine and participate in the voting. I appreciate your support.

Sincerely
Dan Starc
NAXJA 676

Back