• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my XJ stage 2 build thread

steering box replacement is out of the question unless i cannot put a bolt back on the new pitman arm haha. so am i a greenlight for cutting throught he arm and into the steering shaft? (just a little, obviously)

Uh, with all the time your spending trying to get that pitman arm off, you could of just took the whole box off. That's what I did, took it to my local mechanic and he pulled the pitman arm off in about 30 sec. I asked to pay him something and he was like "for what?"

okay guys so the plan for the rear end was to put in these 2" Rubicon express blocks i have for 7" of lift, and then have a shop gear it to 4.10 to match the front. This was to cost me about $650 for the gearing, but for that i can get an 8.8 in there!?!?!?! What the hell was I thinking! Anyway, you will be glad to know that I have yet to do this anyway, so Im going to try and look for someone who will do that 8.8 swap for me, any ideas? How hard would this be to do myself? Id have to pay some1 to weld the stuff as i cant do that.

I know I mentioned this in one of your other threads... but again, WHY do you need 7" of lift? What size tires? With that RE4.5" kit you have you should be able to clear anything that D30 can handle...

PS: Blocks are horrible.

7", because I like a lot of lift, i want mine big. blocks, because they will keep my rear packs and shackles at proper angles.

Anyone got any input on that 8.8

M.O.R.E

your regearing to 4.10? on 7" of lift? what size tires, 32s? 33's like 4.56, and with that retarded ammount of life your gonna need huge tires to avoid looking like one as well

its going to be on 35s, its a stick. Ive driven a stick on that ratio and loved it. Also drove on on 35s and 4.56s and hated it, too touchy. Plus gas mileage is a lot better, and it still kicks ass offroad in 4low.

I cant find M.O.R.E.'s website, what is it?

your regearing to 4.10? on 7" of lift? what size tires, 32s? 33's like 4.56, and with that retarded ammount of life your gonna need huge tires to avoid looking like one as well
I'm glad someone agreeds with me.
I cant find M.O.R.E.'s website, what is it?
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

Trust us, rethink the 7" thing. More lift doesn't give you "more cool" factor. Ideally you want to be lifted at the lowest height amount possible that gives you a good balance between clearance and stability.

Last edited:
I dont rock crawl, and dont say "trust us" like i dont know what im talking about. because my xj is definitly not small to most peoples standards, but i want it bigger. And yes, i do know what i am doing. If you arent here to help a fellow jeeper, then get off my thread

Pound sand...

People are giving you tips cause they know what works and what doesnt. Take their advice as constructive criticism and dont get all but hurt about it...

Have fun with your pavement pounder. :thumbup:

I've been nothing but nice, IMO. If you look back, I've answered almost every question honestly. Just trying to help you so you don't end up regretting anything. 7"+ of lift severely changes the on and off road driveability of an XJ. If you don't want my help... fine, so be it.

Oh, BTW, Nominated.

I dont rock crawl, and dont say "trust us" like i dont know what im talking about. because my xj is definitly not small to most peoples standards, but i want it bigger. And yes, i do know what i am doing. If you arent here to help a fellow jeeper, then get off my thread

easy!easy!we are just trying to help you out! you plan on wheeling? or wheeling and flopping or rolling? I'm on 33's, 4.5 inch and she's still tippy on the side hills,etc. I could not imagine 7" of lift,but to each his own. I believe ruffstuff makes a simple 8.8 swap kit. I did my own

Last edited:
i dont know what nominated means, but i have driven XJs on 8" of lift and loved it. Ive got my steering, track bar, even their respective angles down. I also know what an ax15 feels like on 35" tires & i like that too, im simply stating this is what i want, as for being a pavement pounder, does this look like a pavement pounder to you?

DSC_0425-1.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

Not trying to be a smart ass, but that would be on 32" tires and 3.07 gears, didnt bother me one bit. Im looking at 35s and 4.10s, a muchhhh deaper tire:gear ratio.

Anyway, ill retract my anger either way...

i dont know what nominated means, but i have driven XJs on 8" of lift and loved it. Ive got my steering, track bar, even their respective angles down. I also know what an ax15 feels like on 35" tires & i like that too, im simply stating this is what i want, as for being a pavement pounder, does this look like a pavement pounder to you?
[pic1]
[pic2]
Not trying to be a smart ass, but that would be on 32" tires and 3.07 gears, didnt bother me one bit. Im looking at 35s and 4.10s, a muchhhh deaper tire:gear ratio.

Anyway, ill retract my anger either way...

Nominated = Member Thing ;)
The XJ in those pictures is no way on 8" of lift and I'll beg to wager that with 8" of lift, it would have been anywhere near as stable.
As far as ratios/tire size goes, I'm not arguing there, if you've got a setup you like go for it, but it may not be the setup I'd run. 4.56s would get you closer to the stock ratio with those 35s and AX15.
The only thing I was saying before was that 7"+ lift in really ridiculous and not needed. A little trimming and bumpstops on 4.5-5" is plenty for 35s. That is the last time I say that.

To each his own... Happy Jeepin'.

For the record, I never called it a pavement pounder. That is too low of a blow. :laugh:

Nominated = Member Thing ;)
The XJ in those pictures is no way on 8" of lift and I'll beg to wager that with 8" of lift, it would have been anywhere near as stable.
As far as ratios/tire size goes, I'm not arguing there, if you've got a setup you like go for it, but it may not be the setup I'd run. 4.56s would get you closer to the stock ratio with those 35s and AX15.
The only thing I was saying before was that 7"+ lift in really ridiculous and not needed. A little trimming and bumpstops on 4.5-5" is plenty for 35s. That is the last time I say that.

To each his own... Happy Jeepin'.

For the record, I never called it a pavement pounder. That is too low of a blow. :laugh:
Mall crawler?

mall crawler? look at the pic buddy, its not a mall crawler. and that is on 4.5" of lift as it was up untill recently.

Can we get back to the other tech now?

Back