• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my xj camping trailer

then stop visiting the thread, you don't have to click the link. Lots of good ideas in here so far. Cherokees are a dime a dozen. I got one for $250 last year, and the interior looks brand new, only problem with the exterior is some rot in the rockers from being in Ohio. Maybe I will transfer the interior later and make it into a nice trailer.

Gojeep I like the idea. If I did that I am not sure I would put in a window at all. Fill it in and paint it like a tinted window if you want the aesthetics. Or you could make the section the correct length to use the glass from a rear hatch.

you keep going on about the right to free speech you all so have the right to stop reading this thread if you dont like it :)

Free speech doesn't apply to a privately owned forum anyways. How do you think forums can ban people for being disruptive?

Bob, it's only irritating when you do it because we all know and understand exactly where you stand on the idea of Cherokee trailers. You've stated it plainly and repeatedly. Why would keep returning to something you don't like just to say it sucks, unless you're fully attempting to be an a$$? If that's the case, people have been temp banned for that in the past.

Its like hes just trying to not make friends.:dunno:

Free speech doesn't apply to a privately owned forum anyways. How do you think forums can ban people for being disruptive?

Bob, it's only irritating when you do it because we all know and understand exactly where you stand on the idea of Cherokee trailers. You've stated it plainly and repeatedly. Why would keep returning to something you don't like just to say it sucks, unless you're fully attempting to be an a$$? If that's the case, people have been temp banned for that in the past.

Okay guy but I'd hate to think I would be "temp banned" (double, double probation? You know 'Animal House was filmed in Eugene, OR.) just cause some of you guys don't like my opinions. In the event I build something you guys don't like in the future I completely expect to hear from you....And I won't get mad either....cause that will be a clarifying experience for me....something to mull over. I do keep coming back in hopes of finding something nice. And when I do I be very complementary.

**O that reminds me of a joke_This guy walks into a bar and he's the only one there.....a voice keeps talking about how nice his suit and tie are......finally he asks the bartender if he heard that too.....barkeep says "O that's the nuts, their complementary" ** :D

I would be one thing if there was a safety factor going on here, and you kept popping in to chime in on that that would be one thing. But you dug up an old past to say how much you do not like it based on how it looks. Cool, you made your point and are entitled to it. But you keep coming in here saying the same thing, obviously fishing for someone else who agrees with you. If you do not like the build, and the only thing you have to say is that, fine, you said it, but popping in here over and over to say the same thing is just annoying.

The other way that I thought of 10 years or so ago now is to use two XJ rear sections joined togther like this bad photo shop of mine from back then.

UltimateT.jpg

Good idea BUT if you had that a little bit longer, it'd probably be more useful and also wouldn't require a custom rear window....

You could use two 2 door bodies cut at the B-Pillars and joined. That would eliminate custom glass, and be long enough to install a sleeping platform. You would also get excellent access and ventilation by popping both hatches. Just have to make sure the tongue is long enough to clear the towrig.

You would also have to fill in the forward wheelwell closest to the towrig.

Someone with chop skills wanna tackle that?

the axles wouldn't be close enough doing it that way.

you could do some custom leaf mounts and bring the axles a bit closer. then custom do the arches so it's just one long wheel opening...plastic weld sections in to keep it looking "stock".

the problem is that one set of leaves would need to be farther out than the other set, or they'd need to be custom built.

you could do some custom leaf mounts and bring the axles a bit closer. then custom do the arches so it's just one long wheel opening...plastic weld sections in to keep it looking "stock".

the problem is that one set of leaves would need to be farther out than the other set, or they'd need to be custom built.
Could make it a dual axle, or else run just weld over part of the wheel well on one and lay the fender over the welding work to keep it looking stock and just sand down the welds real well.

Oh... the places you could go.

I'm going to have to start wearing a surgical mask when I visit this thread. I'm starting to worry about catching a serious case of bad taste. :eyes:

why, you already have a terminal case of idioticy

Custom windows should not be a problem. On that XJ I actually ran a polycarbonate ( similar to lexan ) rear window. Just cut the shape out with a jigsaw and the job was done. Wont break either. DO this for the side windows and maybe the front window as well as might get stone flicking up from the tow vehicle.
I did have to be careful when I used it for the rear window as it was so much lighter the hatch clipped my jaw as it flung open with the pressure from the gas struts! You don't do that twice and kept a hand on it after that.

I was talking about a dual axle setup

Okay guy but I'd hate to think I would be "temp banned" (double, double probation? You know 'Animal House was filmed in Eugene, OR.) just cause some of you guys don't like my opinions. In the event I build something you guys don't like in the future I completely expect to hear from you....And I won't get mad either....cause that will be a clarifying experience for me....something to mull over. I do keep coming back in hopes of finding something nice. And when I do I be very complementary.

**O that reminds me of a joke_This guy walks into a bar and he's the only one there.....a voice keeps talking about how nice his suit and tie are......finally he asks the bartender if he heard that too.....barkeep says "O that's the nuts, their complementary" ** :D
No, you wouldn't be temp-banned for having a different opinion. As it would seem to me, it would be more for continually cluttering a thread just to say it's ugly over and over again, and not taking the hint when you're told to drop it.

Bobdog, your commentary makes me want to cut my XJ in half just to spite you.

To the OP, nice trailer! I think Ill start looking for a rare, pristine XJ to hack into pieces and make my own :D

Back