• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$@#! My Transfer case rear output seal!

99StockerAZ

NAXJA Forum User
I just put new springs and shocks on my budget-boosted 99' last night. I drove to work this morning and home this afternoon and I saw smoke coming from underneath. It was fluid from the transfer case dripping on the exhaust. The vibes weren't that bad but I guess that rear seal just couldn't take it anymore.

SO....

Will ordering a SYE kit fix this? I might as well do that at this point if it will fix the problem.

I have an np231, btw.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes. A full case SYE kit should as it comes with a compete new tailcone.

Your choice is a hack and tap or a full case. A hack and tap is the cheapest by wont solve your seal problem. A full case is considerably stronger also.

I started with this one:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10482.html

Then moved to this one:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/18676-60.html

A full case is only $100 more. Ask around. I bet SOMEONE on here won an Iron Rock Offroad gift certificate at one of the NAXJA events this year that they aren't going to use and would sell you for well under that value.

Last edited:
Your choice is a hack and tap or a full case. A hack and tap is the cheapest by wont solve your seal problem. A full case is considerably stronger also.

I started with this one:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10482.html

Then moved to this one:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/18676-60.html

A full case is only $100 more. Ask around. I bet SOMEONE on here won an Iron Rock Offroad gift certificate at one of the NAXJA events this year that they aren't going to use and would sell you for well under that value.
Oh sorry, I meant drive shaft. I know you can use an XJ front drive shaft but is there any downside?

Thought you were talking about the t-case output shaft.

I have always just used a front DS on the rear since I got the SYE.

I've got a spare rugged ridge kit that's missing the yoke I'd sell cheap. It was only run for a few hundred miles before I went to a JB Conversions.

Thought you were talking about the t-case output shaft.

I have always just used a front DS on the rear since I got the SYE.

Thanks.
I've got a spare rugged ridge kit that's missing the yoke I'd sell cheap. It was only run for a few hundred miles before I went to a JB Conversions.

Thank you for the offer. I think I'm just going to order the advance adapters kit and have it overnighted. I need to get this thing back on the road.

Just go with a full SYE and be done with it, you can find them in the 170-200 range... Not a terrible install.

A front DS will work just fine for you.

Just go with a full SYE and be done with it, you can find them in the 170-200 range... Not a terrible install.

A front DS will work just fine for you.
Yep. Like you guys said I should have just counted on this from jump. I'm just debating whether I should have a local shop build me a driveline.

Do I need any additional parts to fit a stock front shaft to the yoke included with the advance adapters kit?

Yep. Like you guys said I should have just counted on this from jump. I'm just debating whether I should have a local shop build me a driveline.

Do I need any additional parts to fit a stock front shaft to the yoke included with the advance adapters kit?

Nope, but you may need to rebuild it and get it balanced. Places around here charge as much for that as it was for me to just buy a new driveshaft. You can rebuild it for under $100 and then take it in to get balanced as well.

$#!©, weak ass factory tail-cone bolt broke when I was assembling my transfer case! It was the last one I went to tighten after I snugged them up.

It wouldn't tighten down and just kept spinning and me being tired AF and worn out from wrestling the transfer case out my brain didn't stop me in time. If I would have tried to back it put it might have still broke but I probably would have enough of a stub to get it out with a pair of vice grips.

Everything went great with the SYE, otherwise. The bearings, chain (no stretch), and other stuff seem to be like new.

Gotta get an Easy Out in the morning and get that mother humper back on the road. Got tires waiting for me at Discount.

Out of curiosity, why did you take the T-case out to install the SYE kit?

A front DS will work great. Pick one up maybe have it balanced and throw some new u joints in it and ur good as new.

If you are set on a new DS call up tom woods. Great quality and I had mine 3 days from the time I called.

Ps you won't be sorry about the AA SYE, good quality kit.

Out of curiosity, why did you take the T-case out to install the SYE kit?
Because the people I listen to said it was cleaner/better and allowed you to inspect the transfer case more thoroughly.

It wasn't too bad. If I ever have to do it again it'll be a much easier job after having to figure out all the tricks the hard way.

I will say that it may be easier to do without yanking it but I think it's worth it to get the case in a clean environment and clean all the mating surfaces easily. Plus I felt like a "real mechanic", lol.

Back