• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my reverse lights won't work!

gperson

NAXJA Forum User
Hello. I'm new here to this forum. I currenty own a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country Edition.

When I place my car in reverse, the lights do not come on. Can anyone tell me what my problem is, and can it be fixed? Thanks so much!!

Automatic? Manual?

If auto, it's most likely your neutral safety switch (NSS). Search on how to clean it.

If a manual, it could be the switch in your tranny. Take it out and clean/repair it or buy a new one. Check your bulbs too.

gperson said:
Hello. I'm new here to this forum. I currenty own a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Country Edition.

When I place my car in reverse, the lights do not come on. Can anyone tell me what my problem is, and can it be fixed? Thanks so much!!

Hello, first off get familiar with the search feature of this board. It will save your from posting things that have been answered many many times on this board.

Backup lights not working is a common problem associated with the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch). Its an expensive part that is relatively easy to replace. Most of us rebuild them. They just get dirty and the springs get gummed up inside causing weak / no contact thus not turning on your backup lights.

You can find great info on GoJeeps website:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/

More specific to your issue, here is a writeup by GoJeep on how to rebuild the NSS yourself:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

keep0njeepin0n said:
Nobody mentioned the light bulbs. The OP never mentioned changing them. I'd pull the bulbs first to make sure they're not blown.

X2 on the fuse. No mention of Jeep not starting in P or N. Don't know if a 93 has the Comfort/Power switch on the dash but if:

1. No reverse lights
2. Tranny switch no worky
3. Starts (turns over) only in P or N...

...it's the fuse...under dash marked TRANS. However, if:

1. no reverse lights
2. won't turn over in any gear.
3. Fuse OK

...it's likely the NSS.

Back