• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My POS 91xj build

mudderx

NAXJA Forum User
So Im looking at getting a cheap beater xj and need some advice. Its a 91 with a 93 engine in it. Problem is dude says it needs a timing chain? but it runs drives ok to 45ish? Its a disco d30/d35,non abs, and will have an OME 2.5" lift after the 4.5" lift gets swapped out, so it has potential after some axle swaps. Could the timing chain issue be a noncompatible or bad sensor instead? He said he modified the harness to run the new engine and swapped in his intake manifold, but I havent heard it run yet so I dont know. Im getting the xj as a project regardless but could use some tips on the engine swap part. It comes with a spare block with a recent chain (will just need some gaskets to throw on the good engine?) If thats truely the issue I can swap the good timing chain parts from the 91 to the 93 motor right? Thanks
notworthy.gif

Re: Looked at a cheap 91 xj today

Avoid this like the plague. You would be way better off just finding a bone stock unadulterated rig. They can be had for under $1000 if you keep your eyes open on craigslist. At the end of the day this rig will end up costing you a ton.

I tend to agree with US on this one. really what id be looking at with this rig is the lift. nothing else on it is really worth it. bodys are cheap, motors are everywhere. if the harness is messed with...EKK if its the lift you must have then I say go for it. xj are everywhere, and remember what the prices are on used parts when negotiating a price on this one. you might be able to pick up a better one and throw a used lift at it cheaper or same price as this one. then you would have less of a time bomb of a rig.

my .02
Bronze.

91 and 93 are both HO motors so theoretically it should bolt right in. he shouldn't have had to modify anything

no offense but looks like its been rode hard and put away wet. if you truly are going to build it its going to end up being a full top to bottem build. if its a pr ho body with ho engine it with a cut harness chances are its not done right.

Looks like a straight forward swap, he took out a 4.0l HO and put in a 4.0l HO.

Whatever is wrong is probably something stupid that he overlooked.

Ya I was thinking 91 was a renix lol. :doh:

Ok I was wrong he swapped sensor not spliced plug into harness. It hasnt been run without the air box its just torn apart from the swap. For $400 I dont really care as long as it drives lol. He says shop said the timing chain is "stretched" but it comes with a good condition used one.... I "found" a newer D30 and I have an extra 8.25 with it sooo I just need dude to swap out his lifts and I can drive the new money pit home and gut it. :) Its gonna be a pos work jeep/wimpy wheeler and aside from body damage and hack job flairs its solid. Plus its ugly enough it will match my '98 ;)

How would one know if an engine had a stretched timing chain? And what actual problems would one cause?

Considering it comes with a spare block, $400 doesn't seem like a bad deal for something just to take out and thrash, a work vehicle or just a backup rig... assuming the rest of the drivetrain is decent...

Supposedly it runs fine until a certain speed/rpm then it misses/sputters/chokes/loads up. He says it lost timing and his shop says the chain is "stretched". Im thinking it could also be a bad distributor/cap/wires/coil or a bad sensor, unplugged sensor or vacuume line etc. It was actually my old engine that I gave to my wifes uncle who sold it to dude. I know it had 165k or so on it and ran but it sat for a few years and I dont know what dude did wrong. Yet. Deal is he puts it back together and I drive it home. Then I will begin chasing issues while I strip the interior and bedline it.

On a side note can anyone rename this thread "my pos 91 build" lol

Last edited:

stretched chain wont cause that issue kinda sounds like a plugged cat converter or something but a chain will be able to run ok till it skips a tooth

Run ability problem sounds like an EGR malfunction. But still don't think it's worth $400.00. I sold a 92 in way better shaper then that for $500.

Pulled the distributor and set it at #1 and tdc, turned oil pump to 11 o clock and bam! She lives! Best effin $400 I ever spent! LOL I almost feel bad. :D

Spent the day tearing out the nasty headliner, taking off the fender flares, changing the oil, replacing a rear side window, washing the moss off and repairing the fuel evap system so maybe it will pass emissions and I can get tabs for it.

Getting ready to tow her home with an antique tow bar...

1466051_10201302003893588_120640063_n.jpg

Back