• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my new hiding place

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
So today I got pulled over for rolling throuhg a stop sign. Well apparently the cop thought that was enough cause to search my car. Well I had nothing to hid but he didnt even look in my overhead light and he did a fairly good search. If you take down your light you can hid stuff in your celing of your xj!!

Well I had nothing to hid but he didnt even look in my overhead light

What were you hiding in your overhead light?

You obviously had something up there, because its not every day that you say "oh, he forgot to look in my overhead light!" Also, why would your overhead light come to mind anyways?

What were you hiding in your overhead light?

You obviously had something up there, because its not every day that you say "oh, he forgot to look in my overhead light!" Also, why would your overhead light come to mind anyways?

Like I said I had nothing to hide, but last week I changed my bulbs and thought that would be a good place to stash something.

So today I got pulled over for rolling throuhg a stop sign. Well apparently the cop thought that was enough cause to search my car. Well I had nothing to hid but he didnt even look in my overhead light and he did a fairly good search. If you take down your light you can hid stuff in your celing of your xj!!

You must be some sort of mouthbreather for A) him to want to search your vehicle and B) allowing him to search your vehicle. ;)

Out of curiousity's sake......

What could have happened if he told the cop, "Not without a warrant" then?

then he would just be a citizen exercising his rights.

Why did you let him search it? WTF were you thinking?
BTW: Idk what the laws in your state are... but in Indy the cop doesnt need a warrant, but something like probable cause.

Course by refusing a search he wont let you off with a warning for anything. You'll end up getting for anything and everything he can, just because he can.

You dont have to let him, but sometimes its better than the other options.

In NJ if you get pulled by a state trooper and refuse, there will be a flat bed there in under 10 minutes, they have gotten too lucky on many occasions with major drug busts to pass it up. On the flip side if you break down a flat bed tow truck takes about 2 hours to get there on interstate 80.

In my opinion, which is worth just that. You should never allow them to search your ride. Lock it up, make sure to lock it, call an attorney immediately, file suit. IF you have nothing to hide, you should stand up for OUR rights. To allow someone to search you is to give up the rights guaranteed us by our constitution. I carry a copy of the constitution, and read it often. Next time it happens give the officer a copy, and tell him you plan on defending it. As for now, call the department he is from, and let the man in charge know what happened, and tell them you do not appreciate it and want them to understand that it is a violation of our constitutionally guaranteed rights to do what they did. As for me, I carry my stash in my pocket, and never carry over a misdemeanor's worth.

I dunno about other states, but in GA if you refuse they call in a drug dog who sniffs around the outside of your car. If he signals then they can search your car. And apparently alot of departments teach their dogs to false signal so they can search your car even if the dog doesn't smell anything.

I dunno about other states, but in GA if you refuse they call in a drug dog who sniffs around the outside of your car. If he signals then they can search your car. And apparently alot of departments teach their dogs to false signal so they can search your car even if the dog doesn't smell anything.

Apparently? Is that like saying you're talking out of your ass? :)

In CA if not in other places they only need probable cause to search your vehicle and the cause could be just about anything including not giving your consent to the search. So your choices are a: give consent and let the cop take a quick look or b: deny consent and have the cop detain you till the supervisor and warrant show up.

Basically if they want to look they will.

In CA if not in other places they only need probable cause to search your vehicle and the cause could be just about anything including not giving your consent to the search. So your choices are a: give consent and let the cop take a quick look or b: deny consent and have the cop detain you till the supervisor and warrant show up.

Basically if they want to look they will.

That's been my understanding as well. I have always planned to say, "Can you let me off with a warning when you don't find anything?"
dunno.gif

Billy

bjoehandley said:

NEVER LET THEM SEARCH YOUR CAR WITHOUT A WARRANT, EVEN IF YOU'RE BEING ARRESTED! THE SUPREME COURT AND THE US CONSTITUTION ARE ON YOUR SIDE!
Read this article from the LA Times three days ago.
LATimes said:
Justice John Paul Stevens, speaking for the court, said that merely arresting a driver does not "provide a police entitlement" to search the vehicle without a warrant.

@XJ98Jeep: Having a dog sniff the outside of your car constitutes a search. Without a warrant, that search is invalid and inadmissible in court.

@Gerr: Excercising your CONSTITUTIONAL rights is NOT probable cause! A hunch or suspicion is not probable cause either!

Back