• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my mind is made up

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
I've decided to go with custom4x4 front winch bumper.I have'nt decided wether or not I want to go with the tapered one that is 3/16,it's like 20 more lbs.will the thicker steel shell be worth the extra 20.00?I'm not into rock crawling or extreme 4wheeling,just moderate,but I like sturdy parts.Does the tapered ends really make it worth it?will it be better in the long run?t.i.a

I just put in the regular winch, non-tapered bumper last week. The ends do seem to have a little give to them but the winch mount is real solid. If I was real worried about damage to I would have gone with the tapered, I just think the one I got looks better. I put a thread in here a couple days ago with a link to pics if you want to check it out.

Yep, I bought a thin one used and the passenger side shell was already bent upwards on the outer part that goes in front of the fender. I've since bent the driver's side up a little and broken one of the supports that holds the "cover" in place... at the same time, this pushed up my corner marker a bit and bent my fender... all from coming down hard on a rock.

Definately go with the thicker one if available. I have no complaints about the winch mount on mine, however. It's as solid as any winch mount could be, but the outer parts of the "shell" are easily bendable.

ok, I ordered the 3/16 version because this aint no trailer queen!!!After talking to mike at c4x4 there really was no question.I asked him how the regular bumper held up to being high lifted and he said that it would'nt be a good idea to jack it up out towards the ends(only near the winch tray where the bumper is strongest).He said that the 3/16 can take the jack anywhere on the bumper,so that right there pretty much convinced me that it is stronger.Now the only thing I have to do is wait the 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.

i bent up the non tapered one really easily.hen I started building my own line of XJ bumpers. dave

Back