• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My little welding / fabrication project

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just figured I would post up my little project of the day. I just wanted to have a nice sturdy welding cart, and a medium duty fabrication table. The basic layout is similar to another guy's on the GarageJournal.com, but I did my own little detail to work better for me. It's obviously not finished yet, but its what i was able to get done beofr the wife got home. I have everything to finish it, except for the top. I will get that soon.

You can see in the background my old welding cart.... I whipped it up real quick when we first moved here with some scrap angle iron I had. Its WAY underbuilt even for just a welding cart. With two welders, and a full size argon tank, the small frame and little casters are at the limit for sure!

I used 11 guage 1.5" square tubing for the main frame, 1" 11 gauge square tube for the acillary and cross supports, and 3/8 rod left over from another project for the push handles and clamp hangers. I also had a set of decently heavy duty casters that i have been saving for a project like this. Time will tell if they are strong enough, if not I will re-group.

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

DSCN1503.jpg

DSCN1504.jpg

DSCN1505.jpg

DSCN1506.jpg

DSCN1507.jpg

DSCN1508.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

~James

Stump you do excellent work. This and the laptop mount.

Looks good, depending on what you're planning on using it for I might reconsider those caster wheels for ones a little bigger and stronger if it's going to have alot of weight on it.

agreed, flex is a bad thing in this case! It does look like a solid platform, though. I too, would look into larger wheels if it will ever leave the pristine floor or the Louvre... err, garage you built.

Nice. shipped to 29550?

Threw some paint on today after finishing up a few little things, and grinding the top smooth so the top sheet will sit nice and flat. Got everything on it right now. I will see how it does, then add to it/change things as needed. It rolls WAY better than my old cart.... :D

Stll have to weld on the top, and get a couple cylinder mounts for the back.

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

Threw some paint on today after finishing up a few little things, and grinding the top smooth so the top sheet will sit nice and flat. Got everything on it right now. I will see how it does, then add to it/change things as needed. It rolls WAY better than my old cart.... :D

Stll have to weld on the top, and get a couple cylinder mounts for the back.

DSCN1516.jpg

Few questions.... what will the top be? Thick plate? More info/pictures on the nifty kool RC toys in the Bacground! Ever seen the Blazin Blazer? I want to bring it back to life for the boys.... I think you are the man for the job!

The top will be 3/8th thick steel. I have to go pick it up next week.

I have been into R/C since 1993. Professionally since 2002. Those are some of my race boats in the background. I also fly airplanes and heli's. I started with cars way back inthe day, but dont mess with them too much anymore. I remember the Blazer very well. You could sell that for a small fortune no matter what the condition. Unfortunately, it would also cost a small fortune to restore depending on how bad it is.

I dont mind hijacking my own thread... :D

I used to modify engines for hundreds of folks, several of the top racers around the world. I have held a few world speed records, and have been world champion twice in a couple classes. I ran a business for about 2 years from Germany that made specialty one off parts for the boats, modified props and engines, and sold tuned pipes, hulls, electronics etc.

enginebuildingdayatO-2.jpg

Some boats

DSCN1322.jpg

Few planes

DSCN1327.jpg

Top plane reminds me of my sig cadet II I had a long time ago.

Good looking, functional cart. Digging the RC stuff too. I gotta take a pic of my "2 stroke solution" for ya! :wave:

Love the cart :worship:, makes me wonder if I should forgo the cart for my new welder and TRY to learn by building one myself. Used to run R/C cars back in the day even won a few races, now I just have a R/C truck to play around with and chase the neighbors annoying dog! :laugh3:

Maybe the ATL people should do a meet and great would love to meet some of ya! :scared:

Check out the 'garage get together' thread, a few of the ATL people will be there for that. Its not too far from you. And, I have done two ATL meet and greets, the last one was in Marietta! We will do another one soon, ~ James

Nice work Stump. That looks really good.

looks like you could use some extra room in that garage, good thing I cleaned out mine last weekend, I have a whole bay if you wanna store that cart for a few years?
Seriously though, that is lookin gooooood.

Back