• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep Tech Demo

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone.
Any and all criticism is welcome, as that is what drives perfection!

I definately love what I do for a living, and I surely can't complain about anything, really. Although, my XJ has changed quite a bit since I created my demo reel, and I haven't had the time to update my 3d assets accordingly. When I spend 8+ hours a day behind a computer working on things like this, coming home and doing more of it is hardly one of my top priorities. I like to spend my time at home actually working on the REAL JEEP, among other things. I need to digitally trim my fenders, add a snorkel, drop on the new bumper and winch, model a fuel tank skid... ...the list goes on...

I love my jeep so much, and when I gained the skillset I did at school, it just seemed natural that I would make a digital stunt double for it.

I used Maya 6 for all of the modeling and texturing and rigging as well as for the animation. I used Boujou and Matchmover Pro for the camera tracking. I used Shake 2 for all of my compositing. Finally, I edited the reel together using Final Cut Pro.

-andy

kndrewa said:
I need to digitally trim my fenders, add a snorkel, drop on the new bumper and winch, model a fuel tank skid... ...the list goes on...

-andy
Thats sweet!!! Can you digitally trim my fenders so I dont screw them up with the grinder? :D Once again amazing talent you got there

GSequoia said:
I only have one thing to say.

You need to model a rear axle that isn't a Dana 35. You should do a JV animation and see if the axle breaks ;)

Good work.

hahah, when i drop in a dana 44, i will model that... ..until then, shes true to life!

87manche said:
very impressive.

and I dig modest mouse :)

thanks.

the first time i saw modest mouse was at the university of washington in 97.

they played in the gym and i paid 7 dollars.

i just bought a ticket for when they come to chicago in april.

37 dollars, ten years later.

i miss my secret little band...

rocklandxjer said:
as someone who is a 3d modeling junkie... that was the most outstanding modeling ive seen in some time.!

hey awesome!

all feedback is rad, but its great to hear from people who do the same kind of work.

i totally appreciate your comments.

WTF? that was the most amazing Jeep video i have seen in years.... Truly impressive Good luck in what your doing and i almost couldnt tell if the XJ was real or not i had to look really close and the detail was unbelievable.... maybe one day i can drive a XJ on my Xbox 360 that would be awesome! Good Luck!

FitchVA said:
holy snikeys!!! that was/is awesome!

thanks guys!

one of the cool things about working in 3d is that i have the ability to previsualize any modification i do before i drop the cash.

for a while there, before i was working fulltime, i was modeling all sorts of things to see how they would look on the ole xj.

playing with color schemes, paint jobs, seeing what an olympic rack would look like, all that good stuff.

course, this is pretty time consuming, but pretty radical too.

the next thing i model will probably be a mock-up for a rear bumper.

course, i need to learn to weld in the meantime...

..but i really want to make it myself, and i have a great resource with naxja here...

Back