• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

f9edd5403e11e8f86b84fa6f243479ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Thanks.
For the most part my welds are getting better through the years.
The miller 235 is a baddass machine. Its pretty easy to lay down some solid weld with it.

I finally pulled tge trigger after alot of research on clutch fibers plates and machined ends to fit more fibers per pack.

Pictured is a 10 fiber pack to replace the oem 6 fiber pack.

Ive also collected other miscellaneous stuff that i could pick up local at the idaho transmission ware house that doesnt come in the rebuild kits.

Game on i guess. Ive been cleaning my garage in preparation for this build ive got about 20ft of bench will use it all on this project.

e151efdd22637cfe7150c1106ce72083.jpg

Slowly but surely. had over drive unit apart and back together a few times. Vhecking rechecking.

Now prepping over drive case and transmission shell for final assembly

4" exhaust pipe tool has to be long because intermediate shaft is in over drive for aligment 830lb spring in there
426aa8599009b804a55f64a88ea8e444.jpg

This ended up being a woops had to have fibers and steels in before compression
7008f5bdca7a9b03827381275068f26d.jpg

2cdd84d34b09359269b1f0840fa85c05.jpg
30e8dac2b1aa9de034a52079588d0641.jpg

Clearances hitting in the proper ballpark confidence slowly building

Overdrive brake clutches assemble outside the drum inside the case

The 47re picture book is a must have tool that im constantly looking through

Im curious how a f150 or aw4 rebuild would go now. Two auto transmissions im interested in.

The 47re(727) is pretty simple just lots of parts and a few clearances to hit swapping various steels in and out to hit clearance.

This transmission should be beast now. Added fibers over stock count fresh fibers steels, bearings, bushings, seals throughout.
I also recalibrated the valve body boosting low rpm pressure curve and upping line pressure through the curve. Upgraded seals to maintain this pressure.
New slightly lower stall tourqe converter with billet apply and bigger frictions. Yes ive seen inside it. Its a beast compared to oem convertor.
Convertor was glued together local with my wants inside.

Not jeep stuff but its similar maybe. What im currently knee deep in.

Kudos for actually wheeling your rig :thumbup:

What part of Idaho are you in?
Just got back from a 4wk road trip fishing through Idaho and Montana.

Thanks
I hit the trails a fair amount though 2 wheeled dirt machines have been distracting me.
Last season i was breaking dana30 shafts left and right. This season has been better.

Boise area

Picture is on 33s i think was first ride on 4.88s and grizzly front locker broke a front shaft maybe 2 seasons ago. Idk
90531c84f473a8a8cd72f6dae6159670.jpg

Well its official.
Transmission is back in my truck and feels good pulls like a freight train through all the gears with quick clean shifts.

Im stoked.

I need more fuel now to take advantage of turbo i have under the hood.

Thats seat belt and low washer. This truck wont trip a check engine light even when it should
53d43e0ad88abc0e6c9bf5ab523b7d71.jpg

Good job.

That is a great skill to have added to your toolbox.

I'm guessing the 47RE came out and went back into your Dodge Ram truck with the cummings diesel. I'm very impressed, I don't think I could take that chance to build one of mine....although I do have a couple extra transmissions laying around I could experiment with. And an old C-4 trans out of an old Mustang with a rebuild kit to tryout. Wish me luck

Yes its the cummins trans

49a9cd7951408aecf4e87dd987bbd2f3.jpg

This is test drive up the mtn max tranny temp only reached 150 pulling over drive at 65. For some weird reason i no longer have cruise control.

Anyone can do it. I picked up the atsg 47re book clearance specs end play blow up diagrams step by step disassembly and assemble guide.
I made all the tools to press stuff apart and together.
Over drive unit was my only uncertainty i ended up taking it back apart to go back over it in the book to make sure i had it assembled correctly a few times.

Then tge forward clutches stack together with gears on the shaft and drums i scratched my head trying to figure out how to line two seperate clutch packs on the the spined shaft but they are assembled as two seperate units then married.

Thats 16 fibers to line up with theyre steels inbetween things did not follow to the book to a t since i have machined pressure plates to allow more fibers per pack. So then bouncing around the net to learn good clearances.

Really no different then parts in a axle. Assembled parts have to hit a range of numbers in a window

Ive got 100 miles on it now fingers crossed i get 100k out of it.

Back