• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my improved high flow cat

I bought my '93 from a guy that lived in the mountains here and wasn't required to get emissions. It passed for 2 years then on the 3rd year, it failed and everything I did couldn't make enough difference - so I figured the cat was either dead or plugged. I discovered that it had been hollowed out by the prev. owner. I always notices a stinky exhaust smell. Now that it has a good cat, it runs a bit better and no stink.

Also, if you're looking to get a decent throaty sound from our XJ's, simply put a long glass pack on after the cat. I had an '89 with the Rusty's cat back system and it sounded really nice, not whiney/raspy/ricey..... throaty and deep. All it had was a long glass pack muffler.

That's about the only Rusty's product that I've ever liked.

peeweexj said:
I got a high flow cat too.
Testpipe-1.jpg

I'm with him on this one if you dont have to go through emissions just run a straight pipe with no cat and then put on a 20 dollar glasspack or something.

Have you had any reprocussions since doing this mod? ive heard that there can be some back-pressure problems?

Nav

btw thinkin of doin this as well.. just gotta find a shop to do it for me

Nav

Just for the record. Even if you don't have smog police where you live, removing or tampering with a CAT is a against federal law.

suthernoutlaw said:
i just got it all welded up and back together, i think the flowmaster 40 with hollowed cat sounds great, heres my clip,i had to use my camera so the sound quality isnt that great, let me know what you think....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ1gB-cFTU0

could've just punched it out.....then you wouldn't have to weld it back together....
If I were you I would take the catalyst to your local metal recycler...they give good money for platinum and rare earth metals that are inside a cat....

the sound clip of the hollowed cat and flowmaster sounds pretty much the same as mine which is just no cat and a long glasspack. i would have just got a new cat but couldnt afford one at the time

no, it runs better now than it did before, i can tell its got more low end, i dont smell anything either like people were saying, ill probably leave it like it is since theres no problems

By the by, you wouldn't have thrown out that material from the cat? I'll take it if you still have it!

Just platinum

Back