• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My first ever major project on my 99 XJ...

Anywho, sorry to side track the thread NCJeepGirl83. No go find a bigger curb, rock, neighbors car and flex that bad boy a little more. It's got more than that girl! :yelclap:

It sure does! Even WITH the sway bars on! drive around till you find a tree stump or a big rock or something.

Hey thanks guys! As for neighbors' cars, my neighbors across the street always park their POS cars on the curb which makes getting our cars out of the driveway a bit difficult...

And as for small cars, everyone else in my family drives SUVs, and I'm not about to flex on the 911!

NCjeepgirl83 said:
and I'm not about to flex on the 911!

Aww... come ON!!! haha... it's all good...:cool:

yeah looks good i'm running 31's with a 4.5re superflex lift and i don't think it looks bad but i know it helped with my mpg going back and forth to work every day i save the 33's for the wheelin' oh and i broke off a bolt on each rear shock had to torch 40% of the rusted and seizd off so much for reusing the bolts, front end took longer for -cut and burn- HAHAHAHA

axxdet said:
yeah looks good i'm running 31's with a 4.5re superflex lift and i don't think it looks bad but i know it helped with my mpg going back and forth to work every day i save the 33's for the wheelin' oh and i broke off a bolt on each rear shock had to torch 40% of the rusted and seizd off so much for reusing the bolts, front end took longer for -cut and burn- HAHAHAHA
punctuation is a virtue man... :farmer:

Does anyone know if Con-ferr made more than one style of roof rack for the 99 Cherokee? The one I've got looks huge right now but then it's in my garage and not on the Jeep. I just hope it'll fit and not be too big/wide, etc.

Also, is it ok to go ~50mph in 3? Will it damage anything?

Also, is it ok to go ~50mph in 3? Will it damage anything?

that should be fine... anything above that though, you'll probably want to click it into D.

Does anyone have any idea why there would be less vibes in 3rd than D? Just curious as I've been experimenting between the 2 today...and definitely noticed a decrease in vibes in 3, as well as a very slight increase in accel (I think)...

take a guess ...higher rpms, your output shaft on your transfer case is under more power which --in my opinon would not allow it to vib...i notice when i take my foot off the gas to use the brake or slow down is when i hear the "vibe" its not under any power and is being allowed to bounce "vibe" but i'm not a mech. soo you'll have to draw your own conclusion

god bless america

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Does anyone have any idea why there would be less vibes in 3rd than D? Just curious as I've been experimenting between the 2 today...and definitely noticed a decrease in vibes in 3, as well as a very slight increase in accel (I think)...

Do you have SYE (slip yolk eliminator)? or did you shim the rear axle any? Where are you at on the spedo when the vibrations occur? When I had my RE 3.5 put on it vibrated pretty good between 40-50 then they used 2.5 degree shims and it vibrates in a narrower bad around 32-35. I don't have SYE yet but will get it to handle some of the vibes and hopefully the slop/clunk when deccelerating. Then again I may have a bearing going out somewhere creating the slop/clunk.

bmanga said:
Do you have SYE (slip yolk eliminator)? or did you shim the rear axle any? Where are you at on the spedo when the vibrations occur? When I had my RE 3.5 put on it vibrated pretty good between 40-50 then they used 2.5 degree shims and it vibrates in a narrower bad around 32-35. I don't have SYE yet but will get it to handle some of the vibes and hopefully the slop/clunk when deccelerating. Then again I may have a bearing going out somewhere creating the slop/clunk.

No SYE but she did buy shims... did you even read the thread or just the first page and then post?

Katie less vibs because of change in engine RPM(higher in 3 then D), you will also lose fuel mileage in 3. If it is still vibrating with the t-case drop and axle shims the only thing I would suggest is a SYE.
I didn't want to install one on mine because I was planning on changing t-cases at a later date so I got a RE Hack and Tap with a front XJ drivshaft and I do not have any problems with it.
94233.jpg

fubar XJ said:
You should only use OD on the freeway. It generates heat and is hard on the trans at speeds lower than 50 mph. The 4.0 is most efficient in the 2K-2500 rpm range. People actually ruin their transmissions using OD while driving around town.
Thats a new one to me...I guess my AW-4 should have died along time ago...but what do I know I've only been a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge tech for 16 years now.

rob92xj said:
Thats a new one to me...I guess my AW-4 should have died along time ago...but what do I know I've only been a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge tech for 16 years now.

Ya this is a little out there isn't it? I have never heard a word about this. Wouldn't that be a design flaw too? The average driver would never take it out of D causing mass tranny failures by this logic.

lancey3 said:
Ya this is a little out there isn't it? I have never heard a word about this. Wouldn't that be a design flaw too? The average driver would never take it out of D causing mass tranny failures by this logic.
It would be very misleading indeed, in the early days of OD transmission it was true but the owners manuals stated in town and when towing use D not the OD shift lever position.

rob92xj said:
It would be very misleading indeed, in the early days of OD transmission it was true but the owners manuals stated in town and when towing use D not the OD shift lever position.
So disregard all of this? I would trust you, the technician, over most people.

I don't know a lot on this subject, running in 3 or OD, but I can tell you this. I just drove from PA to Arkansas and then from Arkansas to PA pulling a trailer with a quad on it with some other junk. I have 4.10 gears and 31's. The only time I would take the Jeep out of OD was when I was going up a steep hill. Most of the time I didn't do it, the Jeep did. When the Jeep would downshift, I would reach down and put in 3 until I was at the top of the hill. Then I would shift back to OD.

It is an 1156 mile trip door to door. My gas mileage wasn't that bad either. I spent $171 in gas coming back from Arkansas. Like I have said I have 4.10's which help, and I also have a Magnaflow muffler.

Now that I am home I run the Jeep in OD where ever I go. I had someone tell my wife the same thing, "you should run the car in D instead of OD around town." I think that's a bunch of crap!! If that was true I think it would be a design flaw from the factory. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Update:

Well I just got it back from Tarheel 4wd today, they discerned that the noise I was hearing when I took my foot off the gas pedal was coming from my transfer case, so they took it apart and found that my chain was stretched and about to go bad (in their terms, my t-case was disintregrating). So $500+ and several hours later, I have a new chain on my t-case, new seal, and a new alignment.

The guy (Phillip) at tarheel said he measured my rear axle and said I didn't need axle shims, that they were at the right angle, 3* already, and 4* shims were a bit too big anyway. So I exchanged them and got a whole $9.99 off my total.

He also said that several techs drove my Jeep and didn't feel any vibrations, which I'm guessing is good (Tim you need to come down and see if you can tell a diff.)...

Luckily, my folks haven't enquired yet as to the cost of that...which is good, and I hope it stays like that. I already owe them a fair amt. of $ as it is... :(

It seems to drive about the same, apparently it was pulling to the right before and I never noticed it. But I'm still hearing the same noise as before when I take my foot off the gas pedal, like a grinding/vibrating noise, but it only seems to be happening between 40-50mph or so, whereas before it was getting worse and happening between 20-50mph or so.

And I still feel like I'm hitting either the front or rear axle on my driveway curb when I back out of my driveway, b/c there's a distinct loud bonk! noise, but it's only when I'm reversing in a driveway...:confused:

I guess it could just be me being paranoid, but honestly I'm not entirely happy with the way it drives and if I hadn't sunk a small fortune into modifying it, I probably would take it back to stock...:gonnablow

Anywho, that's the progress so far on it. Will keep everyone updated as to any new mods/additions etc.

sounds like you need to become friends with a good technician.....

Have someone who knows a thing or two about jeeps sit in the passenger seat while you do everything you were explaining. They might be able to tell you that something is normal, or be able to find where a sound is coming from. I know you've done this before, but try to find someone who will help you out until you find everything. and some things you just may not find... it happens. you'll find it later if it breaks.

500$ just for a chain installed(which you more than likely didn't need)....I hope they included lube in that price.

Back