• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My fan went through the radiator last night

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
From what I can gather it happened when I did a WOT shift from 1st to 2nd. Stopped for dinner about a block later, coolant pouring out of the radiator, definate signs of impact at the fan.

Obviously I'm going to need a new radiator, but what else? I'm assuming the motor mounts are shot since my engine moved that much. How hard is it to replace motor mounts? Is it worth the cash to upgrade to the MORE mounts?

Thanks in advance.

just wondering, are you running a transfercase drop?

nope

Im just curious how a T-Case drop would affect this?

a t-case drop tilts the entire t-case/transmission and engine back making the bottom of the fan come slightly closer to the radiator

check your tranny mount also.

this same thing happen to me two years ago at the Johnson Valley get together.

changing the mounts is not hard, just time consuming.

Search on here or look in you FSM for directions on how to change them.

Maybe not M.O.R.E. but at least the polyurethane motor mounts from someone. They will last as long as your engine will and they will keep forward flex to a minimum. As suggested the tranny mount should be changed as well. They also come in the polyurethane too.

IslanderOffRoad said:
it happened when I did a WOT shift from 1st to 2nd.

Why? :)

And be prepared for added vibrations if you go to poly mounts. I put some on for one day, and couldn't stand it. Many people have no problems, as they get used to it or the vibes lessen over time. But my vibes were rattling the windows.

Went back to rubber, and have not had an issue in 5 years.

MORE rubber bombproof engine mounts and a new trans mount FTW. I can see WOT shifting a ricer but why an XJ?

So no body here holds there XJ to the floor and lets it shift on its own? Shit mine does it every time I drive it lol.

BlueCuda said:
So no body here holds there XJ to the floor and lets it shift on its own? Shit mine does it every time I drive it lol.

So do I but mines an automatic. WOT shifting is when you shift a stick without backing off the throttle. I did it all the time in my SRT-4 ACR I just sold.

It's a lot of bucks for just one side, but I've been known to run a poly mount on the driver's side only to keep the vibes down. The passenger side doesn't take nearly the same load.

TNT said:
So do I but mines an automatic. WOT shifting is when you shift a stick without backing off the throttle. I did it all the time in my SRT-4 ACR I just sold.

I did back off the throttle for the shift. I do have a 5spd...The two lane road was going down to 1 lane on the other side of the intersection... I felt like being first.

mikeforte said:
Maybe not M.O.R.E. but at least the polyurethane motor mounts from someone. They will last as long as your engine will and they will keep forward flex to a minimum. As suggested the tranny mount should be changed as well. They also come in the polyurethane too.

I've heard too many negatives about poly mounts and vibes... the MORE Bombproofs with the rubber insulators are what I'm gonna go with. Tranny mount I'll probably just get from NAPA.

TNT said:

Gotcha, didn't read his sig lol.

I got the Brown Dog poly mounts, and I don't notice the added vibes too much (and I'm VERY anal about NVH).

Ordered the following:

CSF 3 Row All Metal Radiator
MORE Bombproof Motor Mounts
NAPA stock replacement tranny mount.

Got the radiator in, so I installed it

new rad :sunshine:
IM002251.jpg

IM002252.jpg

Damage to old rad, there are at least two tubes that are cut open, plus the damaged fins and strap

IM002253.jpg

IM002254.jpg

Fan clutch lost some teeth

IM002255.jpg

I'm thinking I might be able to get that old rad repaired, then I can sell it or have a spare, what do you guys think?

I wouldnt think repairing a radiator is worth it. But it also depends on how cheap it is to repair.

Back