• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 90 XJ "Sheleighly"

AKghandi

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys this is my first jeep and I'm sure I'll need some advice.

anyways here goes.

This is how I bought it, bone stock 90' cherokee limited. 4.0 242 30/35

GDWsCw.jpg

Did a little repair work on the brakes, the whole self adjuster assembly was missing.

jOKiDm.jpg

This is much better, it actually stops.(I did flip the yellow spring to the correct orientation)

uN0qDP.jpg

Then this wonderous box showed up, RC 4.5" x series.

Lklcab.jpg

And then these showed up. 33x12.50 Good Year MT/R w/ kevlar.

89ZnYn.jpg

Got the lift installed on St Patricks day, that plus my heritage is where the name came from.

r0K38x.jpg

Then I got the tires put on and I got an alignment

MqSZ4v.jpg

I did a little trimming and made some ghetto flares

qUdVEP.jpg

I dont have any more pics at the moment but the flares came out really well.

Current issues; rough idle, low idle, HORRID MPG, 10mpg when it was stock.
and sadly I think I can hear a wrist pin noise.

Last edited:
Nice build, here's what I have found with rough idle. The plastic tube for both the MAP sensor and the PVC breather off the valve cover. It's clogged!!! I swapped mine out with 3/16 brake line. Easy to clean and way better. The tube on the map sensor, look at it against light. It probably looks like a spring,,,, just cracked and no good. I use rubber tube. Then check where the map connects to the throttle body. They come out. That's what always messes up mo idle.

I'm in anchorage

And yeah im off to a good start, though I I'm afraid to wheel it with the 35 in the back

I know where to get an 8.25 but its a matter of money.

Well, I did some work on the motor. turns out my "cracked exhauast" was actually the EGR tube just hanging out. the cast boss in the intake manifold was broken off.

So I crimped and welded the EGR tube then filled the hole in the intake with quick steel. then ditched the EGR vac lines.

Not ideal, but it was my only option, When money allows I'll pick up a new tube valve and intake mani.

also went ahead and welded the exhaust manifold up as it was also showing some cracks.

while I was at it i replaced the CTS MAP IAC and TPS. I replaced CPS a while ago.

After much tinkering and a low idle i just adjusted the throttle stop and re adjusted the TPS. idles nice now.

Here is where things get weird, I'm gettin worse MPGs. they were at around 12 with the tires, and now Im down to around 9.

the engine runs much stronger now, as its getting proper 02 readings and not sucking in straight air at cruising.

The 02 looked pretty new but who knows.

Does the 02 ground through the exhaust manifold? I painted mine while I had it apart.

Heres a vid that shows what I mean with the EGR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDT9bEk3Jc

In other news I'll be getting a 29 spline 8.25 here in a week or so

A while ago I installed a Curt front mount receiver hitch

NwPK4i.jpg

DaAhMV.jpg

KtqgiT.jpg

I installed it as per the instructions, then just for an extra bit of strength i welded it along the sides.
WIbYSG.jpg

I am by no means a welder, but they came out ok.

SuogGN.jpg

Well I have been rather busy the last few weeks fixing all I can on the jeep.

New O2 sensor, helped but no matter what i do i seem to get about 10 mpg in the city

I replaced all the wheel bearings chasing a clunking noise.. its still there, oh well. time for U joints.

I went through the cooling system replaced all the hoses and the thermostat with a 180* dip**** previous owner had the system full of almost pure antifreeze. now it never gets above 210, and the cooling fan hasnt come on once.:grin:

And heres the exciting stuff... as Jason would say, winchins' wheelin.

6iA0xc.jpg

KDVpNq.jpg

Smittybuilt, XRC2 9.5k water proof winch with syntetic line
Weighs 46lbs :rock:

wrl2Ik.jpg

And I ordered a cradle for it, should be here tonight. I like this one because it doesn't have the annoying handles and it has a little skid on the front.

I also discovered I have a "Trac Lok" LSD in the rear, So I ordered a new set of clutches for it. not as good as a full locker, but its still a D35 and I dont wanna lock it.

Last edited:
Today I successfully polished a turd.

Before:
WkXukH.jpg

After an ATF scrub down:
vRLvrd.jpg

UW20cx.jpg

After a buff and wax:

ut5cY4.jpg

zDf9nI.jpg

2Lv3mT.jpg

02yVnK.jpg

Yes I tire shined, I had it and figured why not. this is the cleanest it will ever be.

Perfect? hell no. A lot better? HELL yes.

I also got my winch all set up. I drilled a new set of holes in the cradle shaft so it would sit as tight to the truck as possible.

6cARNd.jpg

euw8B7.jpg

bTeH0S.jpg

I tried it out last night and stretched the cable, works beautifully.

its rated for 9k straight line pull with just the bolts, and I welded it on both sides of the frame. I think it should be good enough.

I'm not a fan of that winch mount. You may want to tie it to the frame a bit more.

I pulled out a 3/4ton 90' subruban buried in thick muck up to the axles with no complaints. had to strap the rear hitch to a tree, pulled the rear tires off the ground because the tree was up a small hill.

Bsdi1d.jpg

Wasn't that stuck, a front locker would have helped, and lower gears. barely had enough power to spin the tires in this muck. its coal silt.

Converted the cooling system to the open style, was a really easy job thanks to the Autozone radiator having a threaded bung for the fan switch. just had to replace the heater core lines and add a cheapy coolant recovery bottle.

With the new aluminum rad and the 180* t-stat the temp never gets above 200.

Also I think I figured out part of my bad MPG and running issues.

The vacuum line to the FPR while good looking and a tight fit was CLOGGED... I knew it was something stupid..

Back