• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mufflers

Georgia Mike said:
Not trying to start any arguments here,but a Flowmaster on a 4.0 sounds nothing like a 5.0 Mustang. I've got a 5.0 Mustang with a 2 chamber Flowmaster cat-back system,and it has it's own unique sound,mainly because of the crossover pipe. I hate these mufflers! If I could find someone to buy 'em from me for a fair price,I'd swap 'em out for the Aerochambers in a heartbeat! :skull1:

I can vouch for the Flowmaster 40 not sounding like a 5.0 Ford. Although it has a nice deep throaty V8 like sound on a Jeep 4.0L six ... the Flowmaster 40 is annoying with that resonating sound through the interior---these were originally designed for 1/4 mile jaunts.

"Dynomax Super Turbo" sounds very similar to the Flowmaster ... WITHOUT the noise resonating through the interior. Dynomax is Walker's high performance division ... and Walker made the original Corvair (Spyder) Turbo muffler ...

"Aero Chambers" are probably the best over-the-counter design for flow, noise suppression and durability ... unless you want to spend some serious bucks for custom DOT drag racing muffler. I have 562ci/650hp pumping through my 3" Hooker Aero's ... although they are kinda loud in my Hemi ... it's primarily because of the diameter, they're dumped at the axle ... and there's no back seat in the car.

As far as the "Spin Tech". No offense ... BUT ... I wouldn't install a "Spin Tech" on my Toro-Suzuki lawnmower.

If you like that annoying, ear deafening, Flowmaster drone ... have at it.

I run the flowmaster 40's on the CJ and I'm glad it's not a DD, the do sound way cool :D though when the ole oddfire is putting along on the trails, when I push the skinny pedal it wakes them bears up for miles around though.
Running the gawd awfull fenderwell headers puts them in prime mash testing position and I've dropped the full weight of the jeep on them many a time and the only proof is a scratch or 2 in the paint on them.
I ran a 40 on my old trooper with a header, that little 1.9 made enough noise to drown out the howl of the 32" Bias ply swampers at 60 MPH.... and the interior of a cherokee is almost as much of a resonance chamber as that was.
Mike B.

I can vouch for a Mustang's Flowmaster tone versus Jeep's Flowmaster tone, the two are NOT the same. The mustang's tone is much deeper and louder, especially when I had a racing CAM, it was very lumpy sounding. But it was a mean sound to it. Had to sell my 'stang... it was a money pit.

Money pit = whenever I punched the pedal to the metal, I could literally see the fuel gauge needle drop lower and lower. :(

Big Bear said:
SPIN TECH :yelclap:
Ditto spin tech. 4 years with same muffler, most difficult trails and lots of rock hits. sounds great, no resonating. Does run hot and needs a heat shield if you run it up close to the bottom of the car.
Never will wear out.
try www.spintech.com
GRNT

I definatly wouldn't do a 40 series in a daily driver.

I had an x style exhaust with dual 40 series in my 69 mustang that dumped right before the rear axle. It sounded super awesome outside, just like a winston cup car, that mean high pitched v8 snarl. However it was loud enough and resonated enough to give me headaches while driving. It was much quieter after I put the tailpipes out the back. It made my Cobra sound like a Honda though :)

I'f you're not scared of alittle noise , crawl under you're xj and begin:step number 1.unbolt you're muffler.#2cut off the flange that bolts to the cat.#3throw muffler away!#4take flange to muffler shop have them weld flange to some 2.50 dia.or larger pipe and bend it to fit#5enjoy!

mike harris said:
I'f you're not scared of alittle noise , crawl under you're xj and begin:step number 1.unbolt you're muffler.#2cut off the flange that bolts to the cat.#3throw muffler away!#4take flange to muffler shop have them weld flange to some 2.50 dia.or larger pipe and bend it to fit#5enjoy!

Heck, my stang sounded like a NASCAR stock car... everytime I started the car, it had to be inside the garage, had to muffle it somewhat, otherwise it would make the car's I had outside to go off. It would still make the car alarms go off anyways... used to piss off the neighbours! :viking:

Gary E said:
I definatly wouldn't do a 40 series in a daily driver.

I had an x style exhaust with dual 40 series in my 69 mustang that dumped right before the rear axle. It sounded super awesome outside, just like a winston cup car, that mean high pitched v8 snarl. However it was loud enough and resonated enough to give me headaches while driving. It was much quieter after I put the tailpipes out the back. It made my Cobra sound like a Honda though :)
I had the exact same setup in my 73 Ranchero GT and it was awesome!! My wife hated riding in tho, couldn't stand the resonation(is that a word?), but I loved it!! I have the same setup on my 71 Torino GT but with tailpipes and it's way too mellow, but they are 50 series. I need to louden it up! :) I think I'll try the Hooker aero muffler on my XJ since it's a daily driver and the wife likes to drive it.
Mike Harris(the other one)

I just replaced my stock muffler with a Hooker Aerochamber. The Aero has a nice mellow consistent sound at idle and up to about 2000 RPM, but as you start driving the sound goes away and becomes real quiet. There is a definate difference in the throttle response now, even at the higher RPM's.

RIGIDXJ said:
I just replaced my stock muffler with a Hooker Aerochamber. The Aero has a nice mellow consistent sound at idle and up to about 2000 RPM, but as you start driving the sound goes away and becomes real quiet. There is a definate difference in the throttle response now, even at the higher RPM's.
Do you have the stock exhaust pipe or did you go with a larger diameter?
Mike

Back