• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler heat shield

The best thing is an air bake cookie sheet.

Hey Royal, did you get it? How do you attach it to muffler? My '92 didn't come with a heat shield like the newer XJs, but I've always wanted one. Got pics?

Hey Lavern I bought the aluminum baking sheets but haven't done anything with them yet. I plan on drilling holes in the 4 corners and bolting them to the floor with 1/4" spacer between them and the floor so air can flow between for cooling. I'm gonna do this to pretty my whole passenger side of the jeep above the exhaust.

Oh, so this is going to be on the inside?
When I re-did the floor of my XJ after flooding it out I used 1/2 inch closed cell foam as padding & discarded the nasty factory stuff. This stuff really blocks heat from the tranny tunnel or muffler. But I wanted something under the XJ to go between muffler & underside.

Oh, so this is going to be on the inside?
When I re-did the floor of my XJ after flooding it out I used 1/2 inch closed cell foam as padding & discarded the nasty factory stuff. This stuff really blocks heat from the tranny tunnel or muffler. But I wanted something under the XJ to go between muffler & underside.

They go underneath. You can bolt to the floor from the bottom too ;)

oh ...
yeah well, my old ass '92 hasn't taught me that. Anyways, the terms "cookie sheet" & "bolt" just usually don't go together for me ...

And yes, I suppose I just told the world that I don't know what an air bake cookie sheet looks like! Google here I come :spin1:

Hey Lavern I bought the aluminum baking sheets but haven't done anything with them yet. I plan on drilling holes in the 4 corners and bolting them to the floor with 1/4" spacer between them and the floor so air can flow between for cooling. I'm gonna do this to pretty my whole passenger side of the jeep above the exhaust.

That's what I did with machine screws and aluminum spacers from home Depot. Works great. Floor above my muffler gets warm but not hot

What year Cherokees came with a Heat shield attached to the under side of the floor above the muffler? My 96 doesn't have one and I am in hopes of finding one at the J/Y.

Back