• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

muffler for stroker

I installed a 40 series FM 2.5" cat back on the XJ and you can hear me for miles.
Plenty of flow and sounds super good at 4AM (just ask the neighbors).
I'll admit it gets old sometimes, but w/ the windows down and subs on kill you don't really hear it.
Had a 50 series FM installed on the wifes ZJ and you can't hear it once she rounds corner.
She's mad because she can't hardly hear it from inside. I told her I could hear it outside, but she didn't like that answer.
Thinking about swapping them, but it will take cabbage that could be better spent somewhere else.

I installed a 40 series FM 2.5" cat back on the XJ and you can hear me for miles.
Plenty of flow and sounds super good at 4AM (just ask the neighbors).
I'll admit it gets old sometimes, but w/ the windows down and subs on kill you don't really hear it.
Had a 50 series FM installed on the wifes ZJ and you can't hear it once she rounds corner.
She's mad because she can't hardly hear it from inside. I told her I could hear it outside, but she didn't like that answer.
Thinking about swapping them, but it will take cabbage that could be better spent somewhere else.

Not Into Bearing It For Miles, Blocks Or Even Much In The Cab.

Sounds LikE Magnaflow For The Win.

Dump the exhaust at the bumper too

Flowmaster 44 is the only Flowmaster muffler I care for. Very nice tone and not obnoxious. Sounds best at idle and low rpm and kinda mellows out in the high rpms. Muffler itself is built very tough.

As well, check your exhaust manifold for cracks. Those could also turn up your exhaust sound volume. However you've a stroked engine, I'm sure you already have.:passgas:

An 18" magnaflow with tailpipe is what you what. It has a nice smooth tone that has no drone. I had a flowmaster and it was annoying after a few months. I was actually kind of happy when it rusted out after a year and I had to replace it with the magnaflow.

I like my Gibson. It's quiet and after the initial novelty of a different sound (compared to stock) wore off I can't even tell there is something different in the exhaust.

ZERO DRONE

If you are looking for a rice rocket pretending to be a V8 sound this is not for you.

I like my Gibson. It's quiet and after the initial novelty of a different sound (compared to stock) wore off I can't even tell there is something different in the exhaust.

ZERO DRONE

If you are looking for a rice rocket pretending to be a V8 sound this is not for you.

Exactly what i don't want. Gibson sounds like a good option too.

I don't need everyone to hear my sweet exhaust. ..

I have a Gibson.. it is just meh... no real definition to the sound it produces.... just noise really. But at the same time my engine is far from stock. I'm probably going to replace it with a Magnaflow.

Here is a short video of the Gibson exhaust: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQW_eWPY_s0

Magnaflow mufflers are inexpensive, have a lifetime warranty, and you have a welder so go for it. I would say 18" oval body is the smallest you would want. Altho, sounds like you are aiming more towards a 22 as far as quiet goes

Every Flowmaster I have seen splits around the case and has that annoying drone. Stick with the Magnaflow for a nice "crack" at WOT and quiet at cruise RPM. Make sure to size your inlet/outlet and exhaust tube size proper for your engine output. 2 1/4" for up to 225hp, 2 1/2" for 225 to 275hp. Too big will hurt your low/mid torque.

Every Flowmaster I have seen splits around the case and has that annoying drone. Stick with the Magnaflow for a nice "crack" at WOT and quiet at cruise RPM. Make sure to size your inlet/outlet and exhaust tube size proper for your engine output. 2 1/4" for up to 225hp, 2 1/2" for 225 to 275hp. Too big will hurt your low/mid torque.

Thanks For The Tip About Pipe Size. It Is Producing Right Around 275Hp.

Is It Ok To Use The Stock Cat Even Though It Necks Down To 2.25"? Not Sure If I Can Even Run A 2.5" Cat In Calif..

The cat in/out are on the small size for 275hp. I'd be more worried that cat was sized to the engine potential output of 180 hp-ish. It may cause some issues as you have increased the flow 35%. It's also very old if original. We don't have any type of vehicle inspections here in Florida so I have no idea on what CA will want...

Thanks For The Tip About Pipe Size. It Is Producing Right Around 275Hp.

Is It Ok To Use The Stock Cat Even Though It Necks Down To 2.25"? Not Sure If I Can Even Run A 2.5" Cat In Calif..

May talk to Cal? Last I knew 4643 was street legal/smogable. Yes it is a renix, however the definitely need flow for the conditions they run. The only way to run a 2.5" cat on your heep at this point is if it is CARB legal for your make/model.

Bummer, thought it might need to be make and modle specific

As long as the cat is high-flow I do not really see it being an issue. Yes, 2.25" out is technically a bottleneck, but you can run 2.5" exhaust the rest of the way.

In theory, it all comes down to your smog person. If your cat is new or looks new, they are definitely going to check numbers. If it is filthy and looks factory, they most likely glance at it.

You may be able to search, or someone else in CA may have a PN for a CARB legal 2.5" cat for XJ. Otherwise, maybe have a legal cat to swap in when smog time comes. Or move/register your heep in a county that only requires smog upon change of ownership.

Did a quick search for CARB legal cats, and they are the same for XJ and ZJ; for all engines 4.0, 5.2, 5.9 so I really do not see a high-flow replacement being an issue for the stroker.

MagnaFlow 447206 is a 2.5" universal CARB legal cat fits late model XJ's and is 128 and change at amazon.

Last edited:
Cool deal thanks for the info. Am i right to think if my stock cat is good enough for a 5.9L v8 then it's good enough for my 4.5L?

And then i imagine 2.5" cat back is as good as it gets

I absolutely loved the nice low rumble the Iron Rock Offroad catback system had in my 00 2-door. I loved it so much in fact that I'm going to ditch the flowmaster 40 that I have on my 93 that I dont really care for. I didnt notice any horrible drone, and I drove that XJ from Virginia Beach to Minnesota and then to Arizona.

I've ran a 2.5" Magnaflow Delta and a 2.5" Borla Pro-XS muffler, both SS for $60-70, with the 2.5" MBS SS tailpipe($130 shipped). Just recently, I picked up the Banks SS 2.5" cat-back for $240 and I like it a tiny bit more than the Borla. Now to get the header and front half up to 2.5" from 2.25". . .(trip to MBS)

Last edited:
Back