• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTV

tbburg

NAXJA Forum User
So, Music Television turns 30 today. I'm part of the Geezer generation and have freely used the phrase,"when MTV still played music videos.", which is kind of funny, because I never watched it much.

Anyway,..

Does anybody still watch MTV?

Did any of you EVER watch MTV?

Hell yes,I was 22 at the time,greatest thing ever(there wasn't any "paid programming" then).

MTV was awesome back in the day, tracer music videos and cheesy gameshows ha ha i haven't watched an MTV channel in probably 8+ yrs, seems they were more worried about this reality tv crap.

all day vh1 did a bunch of specials airing old mtv moments.

i watched the first full hour of mtv ever.

the first 15 minutes was a space shuttle launch. followed by video killed the radio star, then pat benetar.

kinda nifty

just watched Senna this morning, watching the ratzenburger fatality was the first time ive even thought of mtv. mtv is for lameos you see...

I remember watching it when it first aired. Was pretty cool back then.

MTV was awesome back in the day, tracer music videos and cheesy gameshows
Game shows,..
Back in the day?..
You came to it late, my friend. :roflmao:

Game shows,..
Back in the day?..
You came to it late, my friend. :roflmao:

ya MTV started in 81 they had short stupid gameshows that appeared around 83-84 and more longer ones 86-87 on.

that to me is back in the day, so i guess if coming after a few yrs after its start then yup i came to it to late :laugh2:

what happened to the music videos?

what happened to the music videos?

California people happened

I dont think I have watched more than 15 mins of MTV ever. I dont watch much TV unless its movies (Netflix).

California people? OK...

My folks cancelled it at our house once my little brother started walking around the house doing Beavis and Butthead impersonations all day...

California people? OK...

My folks cancelled it at our house once my little brother started walking around the house doing Beavis and Butthead impersonations all day...

not the jeep people the stereotypical California idiots with their reality tv shows.

I used to watch videos on mtv and then beavis and butthead and liquid tv. Once the reality shows started like that dating show in and the game shows it was all down hill I think. Plenty of nights when I was a kid I would have friends over and mtv would just be on as the thing to watch.

I remember the DAY it started with the Buggles
I was a MEMBER of the MTV CD club (Same as Columbia House just MTV run) .... and received an MTV beach towel for completing my required purchases.
(Click link to see - too large to post)

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.231383722.jpg

I remember when they stared to run COMMERCIALS between the videos.
(Rat bastards for stopping the music for selling out to THE MAN for operating money lol)

Yah I remember when they played music - now they suck and I have not watched it in many years.

Yah - I can remember when it started - I was working in the old man's record store at the time (and we'd just hung TVs on the wall to show it, turned them on all at once.)

Originally? Cool. Music videos (real music!) no commercials.
Later? Kinda cool. Music started taking a bad direction, game shows were silly.
Still later? I didn't bother watching the game shows or the ersatz "reality" shows (never have,) but I did enjoy B&B, The Maxx, and Aeon Flux.
Now? I don't think we even get it. At least, I've not bothered to look for it. Not worth the trouble.

VH1 came out about the time MTV started heading downhill - watched it while it was videos, but they took the same path as MTV and I probably lost interest in it fifteen years ago...

(Oh - and I do have copes of Beavis & Butthead, The Maxx, and Aeon Flux... Probably the only thing salvageable from MTV anymore...)

Back