• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MT Tires for snow/ice

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I know that mud terrains arent great in snow/ice but What would you consider the best MT tire for snow/ice?

I hear a lot of good things about the trxus mt's....

Thanks!

Mike

mud tire good on snow and ice,= oxymoron. are some better than others, yes i'm sure, but how much snow and ice is in Palm Springs? ones things for sure, for any real traction at all, get a tire with siping. a true snow tire, is as far away from a true mud tire as you can get.

i never had a single issue with my bfg mt's in the snow or on ice.

a few years back, a buddy and i drove up the blue ridge parkway after a snow/ice storm to get some good pictures. the dep of transportation doesn't touch the parkway and most of it was a solid sheet of ice:

PICT6075.jpg

they aren't gonna let you drive like an f1 car, but i drove appropriately for the conditions, and made out very well

I have had BFG MT's and AT's in the same size on the same XJ. After driving a few years on the MT's I switched to the AT's and was amazed at the difference in snow and rain performance. The AT's are the best by far. The only thing the MT's did better was to dig down to the ground under the snow. The AT's do a much better job of staying on top of the snow allowing me to drive around in deeper snow than I could with the MT's.

It works better to stay on top of snow than dig in because less time is spent spinning, which is easier on the driveline and once the snow gets deep enough your axles will start to drag if you can't stay on top of the snow. Airing down is great for deep snow as are the biggest widest tires you can fit.

For street use a taller tire about 10.50" wide or less works the best for me.

I have Maxxis Big Horns and I love them. We had back to back blizzards 35" in the first and 20"+ in the second. My Jeep was aboutt he only thing driving around. They are great in rain, snow, sleet, ice. And they are good on rocks, sand, logs and everything else I threw at them yesterday until the motor mount broke and the fan hit the radiator.

My BFG MT's were better than expected on snow and ice (33x10.5R15) although i now just use the MT's in the non-winter months. I bought a second set of tires and rims for winter BFG AT's (33x9.50R15). I realize not everyone has this luxury and if i had to choose one tire only to run year round, it would without a doubt be the MT's.
A great tire that i have run in the past and think you would like is the Cooper Discoverer ST, it is the most agressive AT i have ever seen.

Thanks for the replys guys!

I will be moving back to Oregon in a few months so that is why I ask this. I have driven in snow practically my whole life but never with a Jeep. I always had Subarus.....

Now that Bubba mentioned Maxxis Bighorns I will probably go that route, they are pinned for studs which will be a lot better in the ice. And, you cant beat the price $485 shipped to my door.

Thanks again!

Mike

Studs are overrated, IMO. Just slow down a bit on ice and most AT's or siped MT's will work fine. Plus, in addition to only being able to run studs from November to March, they ruin the pavement. We don't need studded tires in WA state with our mild Winters, they should just outlaw them.

Back