• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mr IMORTL’s Wild Ride!

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
Mr IMORTL’s Wild Ride!

Part one - intro

Once upon a time, there was a simple man. He worked all week so he could enjoy time with nature in his Jeep. His name was Mr IMORTL. But Mr IMORTL had a problem. He had 2 Jeeps. One of them was in pieces in his garage. Because of the extra Jeep, Mr IMORTL’s wife was very unhappy at not being able to park her card in the garage. So on a weekly basis he would hear: “When are you going to sell the Jeep? Has anyone asked about it? Have you sold the Jeep yet? How ‘bout now? How bout now? How bout now?” and so forth…

This went of for about a year until a fellow Jeeper was in need. You see Jeeper xXJx blew his engine and needed another one and needed it quickly. Mr IMORTL was very happy. Mr IMORTL’s wife said she would believe it when she saw it happen. But Mr. xXJx had a problem also. Mr xXJx was in the US Marines and was stationed in 29 Palms, California and had no way to get the Jeep from Mr IMORTL’s house. He didn’t have a trailer or a vehicle to tow one. But Mr IMORTL was desperate. He REALLY wanted the Jeep out of the garage. So Mr IMORTL offered to use his other Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow the dismantled Jeep to MR xXJx’s house. And to help him out even more offered to tow his other Jeep with the blown engine from where it broke down to the base so he could work on his Jeeps that night and get them running. You see his other Jeep had been his daily driver and he needed it back – quickly.

Part two – Finding a trailer

The deal between Mr IMORTL and Mr xXJx was agreed to on Thursday so the search was on to get a trailer that would hold an XJ. Ideally Mr IMORTL was looking for a flatbed trailer to get the whole thing off the ground. Mr IMORTL went to 2 different rental places and both told him that they would only hook a flatbed trailer to a 3/4 ton truck. Mr IMORTL had no clue why they would not rent him one. He was only towing a Cherokee. The Grand had a towing capacity of 3600 Lbs and the XJ only weighed 2700. When he asked, the guy said, “You are telling me you are only hauling a Cherokee, but I have no clue what you are really going to put on there. And if you put something much heavier on there and crash, you could come back and sue me for putting on there in the first place. But they would let him rent a car dolly. So car dolly it was.

Part three – Reassembling the Jeep

The Jeep in Mr IMORTL’s garage has been ransacked for all of its aftermarket parts. The rear axle was taken and an 8.25 left in its place. The rear spring packs were apart. The transfer case was out and it was on jack stands. Mr xXJx jumped right in and started whipping things together. Within 30 minutes he had the transfer case in and cross member in despite Mr IMORTL’s complete lack of organization - with nuts and bolts strewn across the garage laying where ever he let them fall when disassembling what ever he was taking off at the time. Then the spring packs went back together with some jostling… tires back on the axle. Axle, U-bolted on. Tied up loose lines hanging down for the tow.

Part four – The trailer

The trailer seemed pretty straightforward, put two wheels on trailer, tie down, tow. But the Jeep was parked in the garage front first and it needed to be towed from the front. So Mr IMORTL and Mr xXJx decided to put the Jeep on the trailer backwards to pull it out of the garage, park it in the street then put it on the trailer correctly – front first. Things seemed ok. Mr IMORTL needed to remember how to back a trailer up since it have been about 8 years since he had to do so. He finally remembered it was – turn the bottom of the wheel the way you want the trailer to turn. 3 tries 3 minutes later the trailer was in position.

The Jeep had no brakes – normal or emergency being that they had just put the rear axle on – which didn’t even have the drum or brake assembly on. But it winched up the trailer just fine, but a little crooked. No big deal right? They were only going to bring it down the driveway about 25 feet to the street. But Mr IMORTL’s driveway has a slight slope. So they decided to strap one of the tires to the trailer and leave the winch to the trailer attached just so it wouldn’t fall off on the short trip.

Slowly Mr IMORTL starts down the drive. 5 feet – all is well. 10 feet all is well. Coming up to the dip of the drive for the street. Foot already on the brake, but give it a little more. A scream! WHOA! Full Brakes… But that made it worse. The Jeep was not falling off the back, but coming over the tire stop. Remember the tires weren’t on the trailer straight – well this was a bad thing. When Mr IMORTL slammed the brakes, the Jeep came up and over the trailer and stopped only when it hit the trailer winch.

Houston, we have a problem… Now the jeep is sitting on the rear axle which is just about high-centered on the trailer beam between the trailer tire and the Grand Cherokee. Immediate laughter is heard from a neighbor 2 doors down who was watching the entire process. After 3minutes of laughter from all of them, Mr IMORTL jumps in his other XJ with a Mile Marker 9500SE winch. He determines that there isn’t enough room to get between the Jeep and garage it came out of . MR IMORTL drive on his lawn, practically to the front door to get into position to winch the Jeep off the trailer. This was not and easy process because they weren’t winching straight but at an angle so as to practically pull the Jeep over the trailer tire to get it off… This took 3 attempts and ultimately took Mr xXJx and the neighbor to help push it to get it off. From there the Jeep was winched to the street and maneuvered so as to hook up to the trailer correctly. All straps checked, pins put in place and safety chain hooked on. Shit, they were ready!

Part five – The Wild Ride!

The plan was for Mr IMORTL to drive down Ontario Street in Corona Ca to the 15 Freeway. Taking the 15 to the 91 to the 10 to 29 Palms. An estimated 2 to 2.5 hour trip at a slow and steady 55 mph. Mr xXJx was going to stop for burgers for muching on the trip so Mr IMORTL stopped on the side of the on-ramp to the 15 north. While there, he did another once over on the trailer and rigging. He put another 2 clicks on the ratchet straps to each tire. He was pretty sure they were about as tight as he could get them without breaking the ratchets. He was still confident this was going well and with the mishap as the garage things should go smooth from here on.

While driving down Ontario, he had noticed the Jeep in tow tended to bounce when going over bumps. You see, the Jeep in tow had no shocks installed – front or rear. But Ontario was a rather bumpy road. There were a few parts where the street took major elevation changes while on a corner. The Jeep bounced a bit but settled back down just fine. The road had a 45 Mph speed limit. For the first mile or two, because of traffic, he never got above 30 Mph. But a little further he hit 45 and it was right a that point in the road where the hump of the cross street throws you up in the air just as you need to make a tight right bend right where the light post is for the corner. Just at this point on the street the lanes get very narrow. He knew that he would have been in trouble if there was a car in the lane right next to him because he was probably going to need both lanes to get through the corner. This was a critical moment because if he couldn’t get through this, he wasn’t going to be able to take the freeway. The corner came up, he had driven it 100’s of times in his other XJ that’s lifted with big tires, so he knew how to take the corner. He looked left, No Cars, Great, “We’re doing great” he thought to himself.

When the towed Jeep hit the crest he saw it heave up like it hit a ramp the towing jeep missed. Bounce once, Bounce twice, Bounce thrice. About 15 seconds later Mr IMORTL stared breathing again. All was well. The Jeep settled down just fine and he was still doing 45, almost 47 going into another corner. “Wow! We’re all right. We can do this” he thought to himself. Burgers bought. They were ready to get on the road. Mr IMORTL accelerated up the Ontario Street on-ramp. 15, 25, 35, 45… All was still going well, he looked in his rearview mirror as he merged and noticed how light traffic was on his side of the freeway and how packed it was going south. He was very happy because he hated traffic as most people do. But this was also good for a reason he was about to fully realize very soon.

He merged into the first lane and then to the second immediately because the first lane was about to be an exit only lane to Magnolia. Merge complete - moved to second lane, all is well. Mr IMORTL looks down to check his speed as this part of the freeway was a downgrade. A brief glance at the speedo shows him he’s doing about between 60 and 63. he really didn’t get to get a good look because just at that point he felt the back of the Jeep move ever so slightly. One of those “seat of your pants” feelings where you can just tell the rear isn’t quite following the front. He has felt this before, but usually in deep sand and when it was on purpose. As he looked up from the speedo, he noticed the towed jeep was bouncing from side to side on the rear tires. Not side to side fish tail style, but side to side along the center of the vehicle as someone were rocking it like you see in the riots before they flip it over. “WTF!” goes through his mind. Time slows down… Ever so slowly… He had been told what to do in a slide. Wheels into the turn. Counter steer. What were you supped to do if it was bouncing right to left? He could see the bounces getting more pronounced and for some strange reason he was counting the bounces. One, two three four, five, higher, higher, higher. The instant his eyes darted up from the speedo his foot was off the gas. Five bounces later his foot touched the brakes. Not hard, just enough to start slowing down. That stopped the Jeep from bouncing higher but instantly whipped the trailer to the side starting the ride.

The ride began in the 2nd of 5 lanes. When Mr IMORTL first entered the freeway the road was clear. Two cars about 4 or 500 yards ahead lane 1 getting off the freeway and 5 doing about 80. He remembered that there were a few cars coming up about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile behind. But at the speed he was going he was sure they were getting pretty close. First the Jeeps rear slid a bit right, no prob - slight counter steer. Then it jumped back left, farther. “WTF!” he thought to himself. “I counter steered, that should have helped” but it didn’t. As it went back to the right, he steered into the slide again, this time it wasn’t so slight. It was as if he was on a slick track and he was in a nice little slide. But he was ok, still in his lane. But the towed Jeep lurched left again and this time is was hard. It was jumped from all the weight on the right rear and sprung it over to the left. So now it wasn’t only fishtailing, it was bouncing again. This time he sat up in he seat and got ready for some shit. As the jeep went left it felt like the towing Jeeps rear tires had zero traction. Counter steer – jeep is still going straight and in lane 2 but the next bounce and fish tail was coming and he knew it. As soon as he felt the jeep begin to drift he knew it would be big. And it was. A quick glance in the rear view as he shot across lane 3 showed that the traffic had not quite reached him yet. The counter steering had kept the towing Jeep going straight down the road. Even when the jeep slid sideways across lanes 2 and 3 the jeep was still pointing straight. But that wouldn’t last much longer. As the trailer came left, I could see that it was on the driver side wheels and at the angle it was such that could only be on 2 wheels - Going sideways. It didn’t stop. It was going. And was taking Mr IMORTL and his Jeep with it. With the steering wheel locked right, the rear was sliding so quickly it wasn’t enough it keep it heading straight. The whole train starting sliding sideways across lanes 2, 3 and 4. He was looking at the embankment on the side of the freeway that was - one of the 30 degree dirt hills that are cut to make room for the freeway – Sliding sideways, tires wailing and screeching he thought back to the few crashed he has seen on very similar embankments where a family is standing there while their camper trailer is destroyed and mangled half way on the hill, still attached to their totaled tow rig. The images are very clear in his mind – still sliding sideways now just past 90 degrees going to 180. He has a sense that the towed Jeep and the trailer are on 2 wheels as sliding. He is just about sure one or two of his Jeeps tires are barley touching if not off the ground too. For a brief instant he braces because he is sure he is about to barrel roll 2 Jeeps down the 15 freeway. He does a quick guestimation of speed and guesses he is still probably doing at least 35 to 40. How many times would he roll? He didn’t know but the jeep was still leaning hard. A plan emerges: “If this thing starts to go over, dive for center console, grab the gear shifter or transfer case shifter and hold on. Close eyes to keep glass out. For god sake, keep head down.” But the Jeep kept on sliding. Around it was going, still sliding right. He was now facing the opposite direction on the freeway looking at oncoming traffic. Rapidly slowing, the fear of flipping had passed in about 2 seconds and he was now watching the trailer whip back left while he was still sliding right… “That is very weird” he thought. “How can that be?” WHAM! (not the lame group) was the sound of the trailer jackknifing left. “OH SHIT!” he said out loud. Just then the Jeep jumped back right again whipping the towing jeep a full 270 degrees in a spin coming to rest half on the shoulder and half in the first lane. All traffic had some to a stop with a few of the people in front already having their hazards on. The trailer was fully locked in the jackknifed position. Jeep facing the center divider, trailer facing oncoming traffic. Oddly he notices the CD is still playing and Steven Lynch is singing about “Beelz”. He giggles to himself for a second. Then has to pull around driving against traffic to get the trailer untangled from the rear bumper and finally off to the side of the road. When he gets out of the Jeep, he is probably in shock because he gives 2 thumbs up to Mr xXJx and the entire line of cars stopped in the middle of the 15 north. MR xXJx jumps out of his car and yells “Holy Fuck! Are you ok? I thought you were going over for sure man” Mr IMORTL tells his he is just fine but has re-thought the plans to tow him all the way to 29 Palms. Mr xXJx understands. Then Mr IMORTL offers to use his AAA and have the Jeep towed for him. They drive at 30 Mph to Magnolia and call the tow truck.

att00001.jpg

The End

I dunno man... I can't stay focused long enough to read all that...

What's it saying in 15 words or less :D

Wonder how Mr IMORTL got the seat cover cleaned after it was PULLED OUT OF HIS ASS... :D :D :D unless they were brown to begin with...

sorry man, i just couldn't read all that...:shocked:

IMORTL said:
Mr IMORTL’s Wild Ride!

att00001.jpg

The End

look at me behind that fat arse tow truck guy, picture this im 5'8" 195 Lbs and that tow truck guy is about as wide as i am tall.........lol!

you know ken what i got out of this day is......

i think your a nazi.

RichP said:
Wonder how Mr IMORTL got the seat cover cleaned after it was PULLED OUT OF HIS ASS... :D :D :D unless they were brown to begin with...

leather man.....easy clean up

xXJx said:
i think your a nazi.
that doesn't sound to good...

I prefer "I'm Fucking Craig, Craig Christ!"

Wow! Glad you are ok man! How did the tow rig fair?

That was an intense story. I am glad all is well, same thing happend to a guy coming down kellog hill yesterday with a 16' lowboy trailer we watched it flip down the hill. Glad you guys are all right.

Maybe I am wrong, but it sounded like you could have slowed down and stopped to rethink your situation long before you were sliding sideways down the freeway. That was a funny story. I am glad you, and everyone else on the road were ok. Too bad it was not on video:)

88flexj said:
Maybe I am wrong, but it sounded like you could have slowed down and stopped to rethink your situation long before you were sliding sideways down the freeway. That was a funny story. I am glad you, and everyone else on the road were ok. Too bad it was not on video:)

or not i think shocks, a sway bar on the jeep in tow and mabey a heavier towing vechile would have prevented all of this.

wow. good details but too much. :) Glad things worked out.

Back