• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MP3 to radio mod?

reelbigdundy87 said:
I have an iPod and just purchased an FM transmitter from eBay. Needless to day, it is a horrable signal. I thought of a cheaper way to play the iPod on my stereo (donse't have the headphone jack on the face of the deck). I was looking at how the Sirius radio's play on the stereo and there's an FM modulator available at Best Buy. All you need to do is plug the OEM antenna into the modulator and plug the new antenna into the deck and when you want to listen to your iPod plug it into the headphone jack that comes form the box. There would be no signal loss due to a poor wireless signal and there wouldn't be any huge holder taking up the cigarette lighter, just a little black plug coming from wherever you wanted.

I got an FM transmitter from Wal-mart for iPods, it was about 70-75 bux. Works excellent!! It is "Dlo" brand, and it has a display for what channel it is on, and then the wire unplugs from the display so you can use the cord to attach to a computer (it's got a USB connection on it). I usually keep it on 86.9 (lowest station it has), and it works excellent. Once in a blue moon, it won't work that great on that channel, in which case I just change the channel and it works excellent. I highly recommend it.

My girlfriend has a "MOnster" FM transmitter, and it's kinda weird. YOu can only preset like 3 channels to use...so it kinda sux. That one gets interference way more often. I do not recommend this one, although it works great most of the time.

Oh, and they have a pretty good range. I can keep the ignition on in the jeep and run the iPod, and about 100' away in the garage I can pick up the signal clear as day on the radio. The only downfall is that I have to go all the way out to the jeep to actually operate the iPod if I want to change the song! I've also been driving behind my girlfriend while she was using the FM transmitter and picked it up on my radio! I'd say that it must transmit about 100-150' away.

Back