• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving auto shifter back?

Sorry guys, no updates. I got sidetracked by family events, working on other projects and I am now back in school. Ill be home again in 3 weeks, so I will update it then.

I did drive it a bit (in and out of the driveway to park it) and everything seemed to work with it loosely positioned 5'' back from stock. Hardest part will be to make a new cover for the hole in the floor, and I cant imagine that to be more then a 10 minute job.

cool. i am going to try and mod something up for a console as well as relocate the stock ebrake handle. this wont be until after the semester ends.

college sucks!

cool. i am going to try and mod something up for a console as well as relocate the stock ebrake handle. this wont be until after the semester ends.

college sucks!
Since my ebrake does not work, I think I will either remove it completely, or cut the handle down about 3''.

However, I really do need to get an operating ebrake, but thats yet another project:doh:

Here are some pictures of consoles for some ideas. A friend of mine has a die for 1'' tube, so I think I will be using that for most of the structure of my dash and console.
95965_PB240061_122_1118lo.jpg

95980_Donalds_Truck_162_122_718lo.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03284.jpg

IMG_1172_3_1.jpg

IMG_1213_1_1.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

console013.jpg

intsm.jpg

normal_DSC01515.jpg

ubkon_dash.jpg

CRUISENIGHT223.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Most of those are buggies, but the same general principles apply. I just wish the heater wasnt so big, and there wasnt so much damn wiring either. Reminds me of the space shuttle!

i agree...

i want my shifter to be raised and in a location where i can be strapped in tight sitting back. with my left arm propped on the console lid and have the shifter in my hand. and be able to shift from 1 or D to R with ease.

but of course thats all talk...

I'm 6'6 and have had a 2 door 5 speed, a 2 door manual, and a 4 door manual and have never had any issues reaching the shifters on any of them...and the 2 doors have their seat tracks back further than the 4 doors also.

What is the issue y'all are having with the factory position of the shifter handles???

try strapping in with a 5point harness... im 6'4 and run honda prelude seats that are all the way back and when strapped in i can barely get it out of reverse. i have to slip the right side strap off to reach it.

Well, that makes more sense!

i agree...

i want my shifter to be raised and in a location where i can be strapped in tight sitting back. with my left arm propped on the console lid and have the shifter in my hand. and be able to shift from 1 or D to R with ease.

but of course thats all talk...

I just did mine this weekend, made a new gated shifter and it sets between the seats. Don't want to post pics til I get it 100%. I need to change up the linkage, thought of a better idea after I had it all put in. I guess that's R&D or maybe T&E(trial and error). The shifter has the OD-R feature, which with an electric manual control will give me 1-R or 2-R or 3-R too. I am going to have to relocate the e-brake of course but that's no big deal.

I just did mine this weekend, made a new gated shifter and it sets between the seats. Don't want to post pics til I get it 100%. I need to change up the linkage, thought of a better idea after I had it all put in. I guess that's R&D or maybe T&E(trial and error). The shifter has the OD-R feature, which with an electric manual control will give me 1-R or 2-R or 3-R too. I am going to have to relocate the e-brake of course but that's no big deal.
sweet... cant wait to see some pics...

Alright, so I finally got around to doing this. I moved it back about 5'' which put it right where I wanted. I maxed out the tranny cables, but it still shifts fine.

001.jpg

I just used some metal I had lying around, cut it, bent it, and welded it to the stock cover. Cut a hole in the floor, and dropped it in. Simple, and works awesome. No more unhooking my harness to shift.

Just finished this up and got it installed in my XJ. Will be doing a new bracket to relocate the e-brake next. Shift from OD position-Reverse and back, actually any forward gear in the OD position to R when using my electric shifter too. Also I'll make a console to cover everything back up.
IMGP0008.jpg

Just finished this up and got it installed in my XJ. Will be doing a new bracket to relocate the e-brake next. Shift from OD position-Reverse and back, actually any forward gear in the OD position to R when using my electric shifter too. Also I'll make a console to cover everything back up.
IMGP0008.jpg

hows this going?

Sorry I forgot to update. Got it done, new shifters and made a custom plate and relocated the e-brake. Still need to make a e-brake cover and a place to mount the shift selector switches I had mounted in the console.
IMGP0042.jpg
IMGP0044.jpg

Sorry I forgot to update. Got it done, new shifters and made a custom plate and relocated the e-brake. Still need to make a e-brake cover and a place to mount the shift selector switches I had mounted in the console.
IMGP0042.jpg
IMGP0044.jpg

anyway you could video how well this works? i am really interested....

thanks.

Back