• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting of Full size CB radio?

With my antenna on the driver fender. I ran it through the rubber grommet for the wiring harness up under the dash by the pedals.

What about those who have it roof mounted? Just bring it through a door? or make a hole in the roof and seal it up?

I have the CB mounted between the visors as well. I think its a great location because the speaker is easy to hear, and the radio is less likely to get wet or dusty. Here's a bad picture of mine:
Bama_xj.jpg

I don't know if you noticed but some kid passed out from too much milk in your backseat....you should really lock your doors

I've been trying to figure out how to mount my CB.....center console idea is smart

What about those who have it roof mounted? Just bring it through a door? or make a hole in the roof and seal it up?
i run my wire through the grommet on the passenger side right next to the tail lamp and up the hatch (between the bod and hatch) to a mag mount on the roof!

I don't get why CB manufacturers can't offer a model with a detachable head. I installed a ham radio dual-bander in this weekend, and it made for a nice install with a remote head.... Something like this would solve a number of problems.

7800-1.jpg

7800-2.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to install mine overhead also... it seams like the best place that will not get in the way yet be in easy reach to use.

I need to make up a bracket for it... should not be to hard.

photo2.jpg

That is how I did the one I have in my 92 limited. It fits like a glove.

photo-1.jpg

Here is how I mounted the antenna.

Last edited:
Look into NMO mounts, I'm not sure if one is available for something as large as a CB antenna but they're pretty nice. They bolt through a hole in the roof, preferably with a stiffening panel added to keep it from flexing the roof too much, and then an antenna base screws onto the mount from the outside.

As for where to bring the cable in for fender mounting - on the driver side I use the hole for the hood release cable + carefully applied electrical tape and silicone. On the passenger side, the hole for the factory antenna cable is about 1" in diameter, carefully cut the clamp off the rubber grommet and squeeze another cable into the hole then put some silicone on it and a small hose clamp and you should be good to go.

I ran my antenna up behind the driver's visor and along the molding above the doors (wire fits nicely inside it. Then it goes straight out the rear hatch and it doesn't get crimped since it has a rubber seal around the hatch.

i mounted my scanner between the visor with 2 self tapping screws. and powered it off the factory keyless entry wires. the entry system doesn't work anyway. i ran the antenna wires above the head liner out the back to the antenna. the power wires for the entry, theres a constant hot wire which can be tapped. only catch is when the doors are open it cuts the power......i also have a cobra 75 cb. i mounted the power box behind the dash and mounted the receiver to the unused space next to the gauges. works out perfectly.

Constant hot up there is the pink wire, one of the white wires with a black stripe will be ignition switched power, yellow is interior light switched ground, and there is a constant ground as well, I think it's either black or black with a green stripe if I am recalling this correctly.

Careful about how much current you draw, but I think a regular CB will be fine and a scanner certainly will be.

Back