• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor swap with unused plugs

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
Just swapped a 1998 4.0 into my 1996 which had a 4.0. I have a few plugs in my harness which I am not sure were ever used.

1. The first one is black three prong female plug right next to the throttle body. ( everything on throttle body and surrounding are is plugged in )

2.The next one is on the pass side its a 5 prong male plug right next to the plug for my AW4 tranny.

3. The third one is oval, two prong female very close to the #2 mystery plug.

4. Also, I can't seem to find where the stupid little ground strap on firewall near the centerline of the car goes.

Right now she cranks over with no spark at the coil, and no fuel smell in the exhaust or the throttle body. I'm thinking CPS but we'll see may be bad coil as well. I'm trying to find somone local with the same setup 1996 ish wiring setup so that I can buy them a cold six pack and they can drink it while I crawl around their car and take notes and pictures. Anyone in the cincinnati / dayton are gimme a call 513-315-8085. Life is too short to drink cheap beer. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

THX

Eric

1.The 3 prong connection by the throttle body is the CPS. This is causing your no start issue.

post-32-1177363985.jpg

4.Bolts to the back of the engine. ON top of the Head

post-32-1177363842.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm lets see by the given info its kinda hard to be a 100% sure that you are given the right info,if you have any pics or know what color the wires are you dealing with it would be alot better for us and you,but like Onkover said and he's got pics the #1 is the cps,the #4 is the ground strap from the firewall above the map sensor goes to the last bolt next to the firewall on the valve cover,as for #2 sound like the neautral saftey switch wire but are you sure its a 5 wire pigtail the ones i'm familiar with are either 6 or 7 wires,and the #3 is either the coil,distributor,or the oil pressure sending wire..Like I say if we have pics we could deffently tell you..Good luck and let us know whats going on...

#2 sound like the neautral saftey switch wire
That was my first thought but he said it was cranking just not starting. Would it crank if the two connectors were swapped?

FixnDaily has a good thought about the color of the wires. That info would be vary helpful.

Ok I called my brother (jeeps at his house).

#1 is definitely a CPS plug

#2 is not a NSS I know that is plugged in but it is right next to that plug. This one is still a mystery. ( cruise control maybe???)

#3 is not used as far as I know I looked at a 1995 4.0 tonight and it was not plugged in either and this car was loaded with all the options.

The ground goes where the pic shows . . .coooool

I have pics but don't know how to post them. right now #2 is the only one that has me stumped. Thanks for your help guys. If I can figure out how to post my pic we might totally solve this mystery.

Last edited:
Well as far as #2 it could be a cruise control but not knowing the shape of the pigtail and the colors it hard to say for sure...This is my ? when you put the 98 4.0l in the 96 body did you switch the wiring harness?I"m sure if you didnt most everything will connect except the cps..I could be wrong but between the 2 they have different cps's..If you have the 96 harness> the 98 cps will not work..The pigtails are different the 98 is round and the 96 is kinda rectangle or oval..I not 100% sure but you need to run the 96 flywheel/flexplate and the 96 cranksensor if you are not running both of those already.I've been told and someone correct me if i'm wrong but on these jeeps when you do a different year model swap you need make sure you swap the flywheel/flexplate that is a big key in these swaps beacuse they have different timing knotches on the flywheel,and the cps for the 96 only works with the 96 flywheel.But if you swaped the harness run the 98 flywheel and 98 cps..?Did you swap distributors? You should deffently swap those if you are running the 96 harness!I just did a 93 4.0 to 90 4.0 swap and I had everything swaped but the flywheel and when I turned it over I had no spark..Just make sure you swaped all sensors,distributor,flywheel from the 96 motor to the 98 motor because the blocks are the same but not the components.....

I kept the harness in my 1996 and swapped in my 1996 flexplate. I have the CPS sensor from my 1996. I know this because apparently I did not install it. It was sitting with some RENIX stuff the previous owner was putting on the motor trying to convert it. I put the distributor from my 1996 on it as well. The only odd thing I remember was that when putting the motor and tranny together it seemed like the CPS rubbed on the flexplate a little bit. For whatever reason I did not install it. I guess I thought it was a renix sensor or something ? ? ?

Back