• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mounts (bomb proof)

XJRob

NAXJA Forum User
I have had it with my OEM type replacements from the local parts place and looking at getting Rusty's urethane mounts. I read the article on Jeepin.com which gave good reviews, just looking for other opinions on these.

The OEM style ones I have now have a "lifetime warranty" but I don't forsee replacement of these every 2-3 years; looking for something with a little longivity to it.

How bad are the vibes?

Vibes are noticeable....you'll figure out what is loose real quick.

I have the MORE rubber versions, and even those are fairly noisy.

I got mine because I had a new rad and didnt want the engine moving into it, so I'll stick with them.

Fergie

I had the Rusty's poly mounts on my old 91 -- some vibes but I didn't think they were that bad. When I need to replace the mounts on my 99, however, I think I will go with the MORE rubber units as I have heard nothing but good about them.

www.rawbrown.com has a nice looking motor mount. I believe the bushing is a LCA bushing also, making bushing replacements plentiful if you ever need to.

I forget which brand poly-urethane mounts I have, but the shake the whole jeep. Not that bad, just noticable. It now looks from the outside like I have a mild cam as at idle there is a slight shaking. Get any brand urethane, they are worth the money.

I got the MORE's after replacing the factory ones twice. Had them for a 1 1/2 yrs. now. They're nice and sturdy. It took me a week or so to get used to the vibes though.

If you realy want some bomb proof motor mounts here are some that I fabed up, we put them on our 4.0 MJ tuff truck, they have held up great! Even after running through a tuff truck compatition. With first place.
The pictures are at: photos.yahoo.com/triple4x4 its in the album named France crap to aw4. The second and third picture. Let me know what you think.

You guys are crazy if you think the vibes from the poly motor mounts are that bad. I run a set of Rustys Polys in my XJ and the vibes are barely noticable. I've felt worse from dying U-joints!

Well it depends on what brand you have as to how stiff the urethane is. also I would think with a softer suspension you would feel the vibes more because they would rock the truck more, like on my tj with a skyjacker soft ride with poly mounts. Also it depends on how sensitive you are to change or how observant, my vibes are not bad by any means but I can tell a difference.

I used the Prothane mounts when I dropped the stroker in and they do transfer vibrations back though the unibody at idle. It seems to smooth out once the rpm's increase. I don't notice any thing while driving.

I replaced with MORE Bombproof Rubber (torsion style) These use a common rear leaf bushing IIRC.

When new, they vibe a bit more than the stock (weak) rubber mounts, but after a few months they either have broken in - or maybe I've gotten used to it.

Newbie Alert!

How are you guys breaking motor mounts? Just hard wheeling? Bashing around? Or is it a "weak point" I don't know about.

Thanks.

Dirk Pitt said:
www.rawbrown.com has a nice looking motor mount. I believe the bushing is a LCA bushing also, making bushing replacements plentiful if you ever need to.
X2 - call this guy

I had the MORE rubber mounts in my XJ for 5 minutes. At idle the vibes were unbearable. I would suggest using factory mounts, and replace the trans mount at the same time. A bad trans mount will wipe out engine mounts much quicker.

Dirk Pitt said:
Looking at the "phase 2" mounts...

The bushing is a custom extrusion, a bit softer durometer rubber, very plush, and much better than stock rubber retention and support, but it's not a LCA bushing. It still looks like bushing replacement is possible if nessesary.

--ron

FrankNBrew said:
I had the MORE rubber mounts in my XJ for 5 minutes. At idle the vibes were unbearable. I would suggest using factory mounts, and replace the trans mount at the same time. A bad trans mount will wipe out engine mounts much quicker.
after they break in (a week or two) those vibes go away 80%.

I have the bombproof, at first they had crazy vibes, but they are ok now.

wescam said:
Newbie Alert!

How are you guys breaking motor mounts? Just hard wheeling? Bashing around? Or is it a "weak point" I don't know about.

Thanks.
It is one of the many weak points in jeeps. Along with the cracking header/ manifold and many others, bad motor mounts will spell the end for the already weak exaust manifold.

wescam said:
Newbie Alert!

Thanks.

It's VERY common on xj's. I've seen it on many XJ's.

Back