• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mostly Renix Tips

Hi. I’m pretty new to this forum as you can see. I’ve been reading lots of threads and learning a great deal.
My Jeep is a stock 1989 Cherokee, 4WD.

Thanks, Cruiser54, for creating the excellent thread with your Renix tips. It’s very valuable information you have shared. The explanation of how good ground connections are essential for proper ECU function was especially enlightening for me.

I’ve put the suggested ground wires in but also have a question. Maybe it’s a stupid question, but here goes….

I replaced both battery cables awhile back because the insulated covering on them was bad. The negative cable was attached to the stud on the firewall side of the dipstick tube along with the other electrical connectors (maybe 2 or 3 of them?) you mention. In contrast, your description in Tip 1 mentions that the negative battery cable is “fastened to the engine block just forward of the dipstick stud”.

Does it matter if my negative battery cable is grounded to the same bolt/stud as the electrical connectors on the firewall side of the dipstick tube? Would it somehow be better if the negative battery cable was connected to the engine block at a different bolt/stud? Or does it all come out the same whether the negative battery cable is grounded at the same bolt on the block or a different bolt on the block from those other connectors?

There are 2 bolts that attach a support bracket for the heater hoses just forward of the dipstick tube. I could easily move the negative battery cable end and attach it at one of those support bracket bolts if it would be better to have it grounded separate from the other electrical connectors.

Here’s a photo of what bolts I have in there:

You can see my negative battery cable coming up from below at the far left and the dipstick tube just to the right of it.

Thanks in advance for your recommendation. Should I move the end of my negative battery cable to a different bolt on the block or is it fine where it is?

Thanks, Cruiser. I'm glad the negative ground cable is fine where it is.

Yes, I did add an extra ground cable (4 gauge) to the battery's negative terminal. I originally scraped the paint and attached it under one of the bolts on the top of the long cover over the radiator. Oddly, about a week after adding that ground cable I discovered the radiator had started leaking on the passenger side in the bottom corner. It was dribbling coolant on the driveway without the engine even being started. I presume that was just coincidental timing and not some sort of weird cause and effect, right? It did seem strange that the radiator leak started soon after that ground cable was attached to the radiator cover.

Since the radiator was going to have to come out, I moved the additional battery negative ground cable to one of the vacant holes on the inside of the passenger side fender. I scraped paint, then attached it under a screw & washer there.

I also scraped a little paint, then added a 4 gauge ground cable from one of the intake manifold heat shield bolts to one of the hood hinge bolts on the firewall.

I wasn't able to get to the engine end of the braided cable ground to clean it, but I did clean up the firewall end. I realize this ground cable isn't so important now since I added the sturdier ground from the heat shield to the firewall.

Back