• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More than 85 MPH!!

Pleiner87 said:
has any body else looked down at your XJ's gauge cluster and wanted to see more than 85 mph? In the U.S. the 85mph speedo is in all of our xj's up to 1997 when it was changed to 100mph, my '95 YJ's speedo goes to 100mph! I have looked around and noticed that in the UK cherokee's speedo goes to 120 MPH as the main measurement and kilometers as the secondary (like we already have). My question is has anybody tried to get their hands on a european cherokee's gauge cluster? The way most chrysler things are i bet it would just carryover and plug in.
Only uk and u.s. special service cherokee's are in MPH, others like germany, china, or canada are in KPH. soo... anybody want to work out a foreign speedo exchange program???

Ummmm....:scared:....you obviously don't have a lifted XJ....nor have you ever driven one.

85xj4dr said:
I guess it depends on your suspension and how tight everything is. No jeep acts the same. I still wouldnt chance it though.
Lol....BS. I don't care how "tight" your suspension (basically your ball joints and bushings) are...ALL XJ's are wobbely as hel! without sways. Sure, you can have higher spring rates that will help with compression of the springs a little bit...but they are all going to be like you're riding on toothpicks duct taped to the axles...lol.

I'm not saying you can't drive it...currently I have NO sways on b/c the bolts that hold the front sway brackets on have 3 out of 4 snapped off. I have scared myself a couple of times on some dangerous curves.

keep0njeepin0n said:
Ypu're positive the main unit was MPH??? It could be that the main unit was KM and the secondary was MPH...find it hard to believe that the UK uses MPH since the United States is the only country in the world not on the metric system.

UK uses MPH and signs distances in miles. Count down markers (at junctions) can be in either yards or metres. Truck speedos are in MPH, but the speed restriction is in km/h.

Fuel is sold in litres, but economy is calculated in miles per gallon (UK gallon).

Vehicle weight is measured in metric tonnes, but dimensions are commonly feet and inches.

As to speeds, my diesel XJ can just about manage the motorway speed limit here in France (130km/h), but 90-100km/h feels a lot safer.

since it turned into a how fast I can go thread....I had the xj up to around a buck on 37's 4.88's. Friend in left lane verification :D

haha so far we had our xj (stock) up to 80 mph. now my 85 ramcharger,31's but other wise stock, hit the peg & never bounced. it stopped at 85 mph, im guessing the peg is around 95 & sure i was doin a minumum of 100 mph. gotta love the turnpike!!!
never saw a cop the whole drive. (pittsburgh,pa to philadelphia,pa in 5 hours!!)
right now i couldnt get the jeep up to 1 mph. it has died & i cant figure out why. (see my post "what hose?")

just to add to the how fast i have been aspect. I had mine lifted and disconected on 35's up to just over 100 and dont plan on doing it again. i was passing and the guy decided to try and push me off the road then speed up. So i just kept on it till i was past him.My friend behind me had the accurate speed since mine is way off right now.

Blaine B. said:
I don't really understand why a speedometer over 85 is necessary.

You know you're speeding. And you don't care, because you are speeding....so....

Plus how much time do you spend over 85 that it'd be crutial to have a speedometer reading higher?

The only reason for needing a speedo over 85 is for one to have bragging rights so their skinny little buds know whos the man.
The answer to the OP is NO, I dont need to impress anyone.

My jeep is probably the fastest here... and y dad can probably beat up your dad:D

Ray H said:
The only reason for needing a speedo over 85 is for one to have bragging rights so their skinny little buds know whos the man.

eh...my maxima already shows 160 (it can only do 140 topped out) so I don't really need the XJ to show 85, since I never take it over about 60 :)

FYI, 100 Kph is very close to 60 Mph.

yep, it's almost exactly the same.

I've only had mine up to about 85MPH, just to see what it could do... I didn't want to go faster, cause there are plenty of cops around, and I was getting vibes... I easily could have though.

Ray H said:
The answer to the OP is NO, I dont need to impress anyone.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective, doing 85 MPH around here will (mostly) let you stay in the middle lane, sometimes you have to move to the right lane with the trucks, to let a Smart past.
I usually cruise between 80 and a 100 depending on traffic, sometimes a bit faster to get my pass finished and get the heck out of the way. There is invariably some guy coming up behind you doing 120-140 MPH.
You got to love the autobahn, if you have the gonads and the skills to survive.

8Mud said:
I guess it's all a matter of perspective, doing 85 MPH around here will (mostly) let you stay in the middle lane, sometimes you have to move to the right lane with the trucks, to let a Smart past.
I usually cruise between 80 and a 100 depending on traffic, sometimes a bit faster to get my pass finished and get the heck out of the way. There is invariably some guy coming up behind you doing 120-140 MPH.
You got to love the autobahn, if you have the gonads and the skills to survive.

Man i wish i had the gonads and the skills for the autobahn.....o yea, and a car that would go that fast to begain with. I would love to try it. My mom was on that road a few years back for a vacation, she said she was going 100MPH and people were honking at her to hurry up.

My brother sent me that 125mph cluster from UK two years ago and I put it in my 94. Mine has the mph as primary and the kph on the inset. I had to run 3 3-6" jumpers on the back of it to convert the connections as I only used the speedo from the cluster and kept my 94 housing(the idiot lights are on the right side of the UK versions). I'll take a pic of it today when I swing by my parents.

0404_22z+XJ_Cherokee+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg

Jeep meet Autobahn
JeepSpeeds best friend

Here in italy we have a speed limit on the high way of 130 KM, 80MH, but my Cherokee on the speedmeter is written 180Km on end of the scale, 111MH, and before l made some modification on my Cherokee, in stock version l could run until 179KM, 105MH, but with original tires. Now that l have got the 31" tires, anf lifted with a 3.5", l don't feel to run to that speed.
Anyway l think there in US your Cherokee's goes like our in europe, just that there you have the police problem, l mean there the law is made respected more then here in italy for example.

My '84 J10's speedo will get some double takes as it's a 160 KMPH one modded to read MPH. LOL! (It'll be capable of 120 mph if the 38" tires can handle the speed)

I wouldn't try doin 120 on 38's unless your life is in danger of being squashed by a big rig!:scared: .................or something like that.....

Back