• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More E-bay bumpers

TomMcD

NAXJA Forum User
Found this last night on flea bay. Direct sale, $399 + $150 shipping or free pick up in So. Cal.

bumper12_jpg.jpg

Listing and more picutres of their products here... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160273466655&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ShippingPayment

They were fast to respond to my question about the thickness of the metal. 4mm ( 5/32 ) for the main pieces, and 5mm ( 3/16 ) for the connectors. I presume he means where it bolts on. He also wasn't sure if this would interfere with a stock gas tank skid plate.

Feedback from the experienced metal mashers please? Is this heavy enough to be safe towing? Are the 'wings' on this '97 up version going to hold up to being drug over a rocks? Or is it likely to push up into the body above it? They also sell a '96 and earlier version that doesn't have the wings.

-- Tom

p.s. If all you have to add is you think it's ugly, thats fine. I'm not going to make you put it on your Jeep.

Would be easy enough to add a few more holes to the "frame" tie-ins. I am wondering how well the "L" shape fits in there though. It was pretty tight with just the nut strips.

Assuming it quality construction and design, the easiest question to ask is - does it use all of the mounting points a standard hitch would?

If so, then you are probably fine (again, assuming that its a quality piece). If not, then look elsewhere. Also, I think you will find that most hitches use 1/4". 3/16's would probably be fine... but that depends on what your towing.

With no additional bracing, those side guards wont last long in the rocks.

Other random thoughts:
1. $550 seems like a LOT to spend on a ebay bumper from an unknown shop. There are lots of good bumper choices out there for not much more.
2. It's ugly :looney:

I like the front one myself. It looks like it needs longer tie-ins, but the quality looks pretty good, IMO.

The rear looks like a European model. If you stopped on the side of the road and opened it, the swing would open into traffic. Most American models open to the passenger side.

yeah, i noticed that their old one for "display purposes" opened to the passenger side, the new ones open to the driver. Kinda neat looking, not sure I'd want to be the guy to try it out though.

Back