• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mopar performance valve spring question

MunkMaster

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 cherokee with a 4.0

i have a comp cam #68-232-4
i am going to run aftermarket springs and all i can come up with is
the mopar performance springs # 5249464
i ordered directly from comp cams their springs they are wrong, when i called on the phone they told me they don't have any that will work with the engine i have.

my real question is, if i run the mopar performance springs do i need to
run their spring retainers # 4452032 and locks #4529218

head is at the machine shop now so i need to order these soon

thanks

yes you need their springs and locks.

whether that lock or the other depends if you have 1 groove or 3 groove valves.

ok thanks. i originally bought the springs that comp cam told me would work. but they dont so now i am scrambling to get in the right springs and retainers

thanks

my real question is, if i run the mopar performance springs do i need to run their spring retainers # 4452032 and locks #4529218

Yes. However those locks are for single groove valve stems so you'll need different locks if your valve stems have three grooves.

FWIW the machinist that built my head used stock valves,stock retainers and locks/keepers...BUT he used Chevy Vortec springs meant for the GM T-Body injection era heads.They are performance springs and I simply gave him the Cam card and he measured everything and those springs fit the stock retainers with VERY little side slop...under ten thousands.All he really needed to do was cut down the seat to get the correct installed height and match the spring pressures the cam required.I just recently swapped the 4.6 into a new to me 96 2wd auto XJ.I pulled the oil pan off to inspect lower end.The cam lobes looked absolutely perfect.No galling or anything.10 k on motor now.I did use Crower Camsaver Hydraulic Lifters which I HIGHLY recomend.I suggest breaking the cam in by Crane's method.Use Valvoline dyno VR1 oil with Lucas breakin lube then switch to Synthetic VR1 10w30 at 5k .
Yeah i side tracked a bit...but that combo and procedure worked flawless for me.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-1100933.html
Lifters I used...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cro-66031x3-12/applications/make/jeep

Last edited:
Back