• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

monotonous oil change Debate..

Joe, How'd you know which "certain engines" i was thinking of? Volvo only got their act together with failure resistant PCVs halfway through the run of their "white" motor. The new 3.2 I6 should be just fine for *long* intervals, I think...

Anyhow, I'm feeling inspired by this thread to see how long I can go with Jeep service. I've been doing every 3K for a while but no more.

Joe, How'd you know which "certain engines" i was thinking of? Volvo only got their act together with failure resistant PCVs halfway through the run of their "white" motor. The new 3.2 I6 should be just fine for *long* intervals, I think...

Anyhow, I'm feeling inspired by this thread to see how long I can go with Jeep service. I've been doing every 3K for a while but no more.

I'm up to 9 months/3000k miles now.

I need to get out more often! :roflmao:

Go to Bobistheoilguy.com They have a bunch of knowledgeable geeks over there. One guy just ran his wife's van to 10k on dino Walmart supertech. Typical soccer mom, and the used oil analysis showed he could go farther. I use Rotella for the additive pack, and will no run it out to 7500 miles with no worries. The oils have improved light years since my Jeep was built in 87
Yeah,
the synthetics don't even hit their potential until 10k which is why I change mine at that time. Mobil1 since new.

I am with Old Man on this one. I use a Frantz Filter on my diesel Excursion (15 qts oil) and I have been thus far pleased by the visual cleanliness of the oil. It gets dark but does not get jet black as is typical with diesels. I will change oil in the future based on analysis, however, I expect to get 50,000 miles out of the oil. I spoke to the gentleman who has started the company that is remaking the Frantz filter. He does not even change his oil anymore. He said he was doing the analysis deal and finally gave it up because the results always came back as either as good or better than new oil. I know that sounds crazy but that is his claim. Do a search on Frantz filter and oil analysis or Blackstone report. You will find some interesting reading. The oil additive package is maintained sufficiently by replenishing the oil that is lost by changing the Frantz filter and the regular filter which he changes both at 3000 miles. The cost and trouble is minimal for oil changes because you are basically just changing the 2 filters and adding oil. And, the Frantz filter is simply a roll of toilet paper. I'll be adding another one to my automatic transmission and putting one on my XJ when I start driving it again. You can find the filters on eBay for a good deal or you can buy new at www.wefilterit.com. They are also happy to answer questions.

Nelson

If I was a long haul trucker with a KW, I might be into long intervals. I change mine twice a year at about 5,000 mile per OCI. Call me crazy, but I like changing the oil and it gets me under the Jeep to look things over. Plus it gives me a reason to use the Fumoto drain valve I added:). Oil is Rotella, Wix filters.

Something worth adding. A coworker of mine owns an older Trans Am with a factory LS-1 engine. He rebuilt the engine recently. The car had 225k miles on it at the time. He said that when he took the engine apart he found that the factory hone (cross-hatch) was still intact. Because of this he did not do any cylinder work. He only changed the rings. There was also no sludge. I asked him what oil he used and how often he changed it. He said he used a synthetic blend and he changed it every 7500 miles. He has owned the vehicle since new.

An engine builder weighed in on another blog and stated he could tell what engines had used synthetic oil and what engines had not due to sludge.

Nelson

I think it's the quickie oil change places e.g. Jiffy Lube that push 3000 mile OCIs.

Now I will change the oil in my BMW about every 7500 miles which is half as often as BMW recommends. I have no valid reason for doing this but 15K just seems too long. In the Heep I run synth Delo or Rotella and a CM filter; I change the oil about once a year but that is more of a time based than mileage based thing - I probably only drive it 5K miles a year or so.

The Frantz filters are great. Ran them on my diesels. Need to put one on the Jeep.

Nothing filters oil better then a roll of Charmin!!!

The Frantz filters are great. Ran them on my diesels. Need to put one on the Jeep.

Nothing filters oil better then a roll of Charmin!!!
And when you are done with it, it helps the hemorrhoids :flame:

I used to go every 3000 on all of my Jeeps, but now I switched to a larger oil filter and added an extra 1/2 quart to the fill and am experimenting with 6000 mile intervals.

For reference - 233,000 on the ZJ - 145,000 on the XJ - 162,000 on the WJ

I take mostly short trips in mine. Oil looks good at 3K. I started running the factory 7500 interval, changing the filter at 3K and topping up, changing oil at 7500. Still looks great. I think this next filter is going to go the full 7500 and I'll see how the oil looks.
This is with dino oil, maybe accidentally some synthetic blend once upon a time. I've used 15w40, 20w50, 5w30, 10w30... Rotella T, Wall-Mart "whatever's cheap. At 145,000 miles I pulled the rocker cover the other day to change the gasket. Super clean under there. I mean.. new engine clean. Cleaner than dishes I've eaten from.
Only thing I've noticed any difference with is a quality conventional 10w30 + STP oil additive. Engine runs noticably quieter with the STP in it.
If I was putting in a new cam, I'd run STP on every oil change on that engine. I don't seem to have done any harm skipping it for the last 75,000 miles or so but I'll use it from now on.

I added a quart of Lucas oil additive to my dd (98 xj) last week. The stuff is bad luck. 2 Days later my alternator crapped out, my radiator started leaking and my distributer bushing went to hell. All in the same day. You have been warned...

Back