• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MONEY PIT!!!

camarors8992 said:
So right at this point in time i just want to find out why the boot came off. 2 days before this happened I got the jeep stuck, the whole underside was in the snow. Maybe there was a rock that cut the boot and at highway speeds it just ripped apart ??

I'm not sure why you're complaining. When you take a nearly stock jeep offroad and get it stuck you're bound to break something.

Don't think of it as a broken part. Consider it an upgrade opportunity.

Also, I'll go on the record as saying there is nothing wrong with blocks... that measure 1" or less. YMMV.

I wheeled my Jeep nearly stock for 4 yrs in some pretty gnarly (not the Hammers or anything) terrain, got stuck more than a few times (damn mud!), and have yet to break anything. But now I've said that, my t-case will vibe itself apart on the 2 mile drive home today...;)

When I started my lift I used the F150 springs up front and made a bastard pack for the rear out of S10 rear springs and never thought the Jeep rode too bad. In fact my wife said it rode better in her opinion.

camarors8992 said:
I just can't take your advice seriously right now, you seem VERY biased against the blocks and seem to just throw the blame on them...

Easy there, tough guy.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you asked for help and advice, and I'm trying to offer them.

Yes, I am throwing the blame on the blocks. Because that is my personal opinion of what's causing your problems. You asked, I answered. I'm sorry if my advice interferes with your shiny tailpipe.

If you want a second opinion, feel free to ask around. But you're going to find a LOT of people around here who share my low opinion of them, many of whom have had first-hand bad experiences.

One guy who had a dramatically bad experience was, ironically, YOU.

I would have hoped that the accumulation of my advice, others' advice, and your own personal experience might persuade you to ditch the blocks. But you seem to be truly determined to make them work.

So I'll just wish you good luck with that, and let us know how it works out for you.

Robert

By the way, my "toldja so" comment was directed at SouthTexas, not at you. I was agreeing that your Jeep really is nice looking. Nice stance and I love the wheels.

Robert 771 said:
Easy there, tough guy.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, you asked for help and advice, and I'm trying to offer them.

Yes, I am throwing the blame on the blocks. Because that is my personal opinion of what's causing your problems. You asked, I answered. I'm sorry if my advice interferes with your shiny tailpipe.

If you want a second opinion, feel free to ask around. But you're going to find a LOT of people around here who share my low opinion of them, many of whom have had first-hand bad experiences.

One guy who had a dramatically bad experience was, ironically, YOU.

I would have hoped that the accumulation of my advice, others' advice, and your own personal experience might persuade you to ditch the blocks. But you seem to be truly determined to make them work.

So I'll just wish you good luck with that, and let us know how it works out for you.

Robert

By the way, my "toldja so" comment was directed at SouthTexas, not at you. I was agreeing that your Jeep really is nice looking. Nice stance and I love the wheels.

No, No, I didn't mean for that to sound dickhead like. I apologize about that, that's not how it was meant. I just meant it as, everyone hates blocks and is so quick to point the blame at them. I understand why the are bad, and I know if that was my problem that i would remove them. However,I don't think the blocks were the cause of my boot coming off like chuck norris on a bad day.LOL Unless of course the boot ripped because the driveshaft doesn't go as far over the output shaft as it used to ? Even then, shackles or an AAL would put the rear end in the same location it is now. That's why I'm not blaming the blocks. However, the boot could have been ripped when I got it stuck several days ago. I'm going to fix everything, leave the blocks under there and see what happens. Close to $300 to fix everything. :(

PS: I really like my shiny tailpipe. lol

camarors8992 said:
No, No, I didn't mean for that to sound dickhead like. I apologize about that, that's not how it was meant.

S'arright, you've been having a few bad days. I know I've been there...

camarors8992 said:
...shackles or an AAL would put the rear end in the same location it is now. That's why I'm not blaming the blocks.

See, this is the part I think you're missing. Yes, a 2" lift will put your axle 2" further from the bottom of the jeep, no matter how you lift it. But when the rig is in motion, all kids of different forces and motions come into play.

When the spring "wraps," it can take on a mild "S" shape, and let the axle rotate under the jeep, so that the pinion is pointing up more towards the floor.

This change in angles moves the u-joints out of alignment. This small motion (in the wrong direction) can create some enormous stresses and vibs, especially at highway speeds.

From there, lots of bad things can happen really fast. Including wagging the ds like a dog's tail, and destroying the boot. Or the ujoint. Or the driveshaft. Or ripping the back half off your transfer case and making you leave your pride n joy on the side of the road in the hills of Kentucky. Ask me how I know...

camarors8992 said:
However, the boot could have been ripped when I got it stuck several days ago. I'm going to fix everything, leave the blocks under there and see what happens. Close to $300 to fix everything. :(

That's certainly a possibility, too. A small tear, at 3000rpm, will turn into a larger one. And swat the sh!t out of anything around it (like an O2) on the way.

$300 sounds steep though. Is that just to weld the bung back in the cat? And a new sensor, and exh hanger, oh yeah, and the boot...

Guess it adds up, huh?

camarors8992 said:
I really like my shiny tailpipe. lol

Well, a man has to have his principles. Everybody makes fun of my snorkle, too. But I like it.

Robert

Back