• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mods leading up to stroker later on.

Thats just very hard to believe. All those mods and zero hp gained. Yet you port a head and ls1 valves boom 27 HP increase.... I would maybe believe it if you told me that without the head work he has i would instead see a 10 HP increase or something but nothing at all? Ill see for myself im about done installing everything.

BUT, regardless if these mods somehow dont give any power they are mods that are basically needed to compliment what a stroker needs anyways so i wont be disappointed. Not everyone can just throwdown money for a stroker right off the bat im trying to slowly work my way up to the point where i only need a few internal pieces to actually have everything for a stroker. Like crank, rods, pistons and maybe head work and cam if i dont already have that done by then.

I DD this jeep so its a work in progress id be happy if i could do headwork and a cam now that will also work well when i stroked it, for the most part thats all i was asking in this thread but oh well lol.

You weren't really asking. You were looking for validation in what you already decided you wanted to do.

Actually.....i havent decided at all, im still up in the air to how im going to do the head work, cam and what stroker route im going along with a few other things but alrighty then.

So i've talked about it a few times over the years, one of my best friends is a design engineer at Banks and designed a lot of their 4.0 mods (as well as they sponsor our race car).

I was just chatting with him and he sent me this article, he claims is the most reliable on 4.0 stuff.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-0911-jeep-4-liter-engine-myth-busting-true-lies/

5hp from a 62mm throttle body, only after doing a cold air intake, header and catback.

I'm actually surprised it is that much.

No gains from late model manifold at all.

And of course, there will be no gain from going to a larger injector unless you increase displacement, as the o2 will read rich and it will just scale the fuel back again. Same with increasing fuel pressure.

Those were one of the sources ive read about the mods a while back, as to why i find it hard to believe you were saying no power increase at all. I knew the throttle body alone was a decent mod but i was reading it was only worth doing the 99 intake if you did everything else along with it such as throttlebody,injectors and higher fuel pressure. If doing just the 99 intake alone then yea you arent going to have much of a difference at all.

5 hp after doing all of those other mods is basically no power. ;)

We're running somewhere upward of 400 horsepower on our motor with a 62mm throttle body. I can't believe a 200 horsepower motor isn't going to get by at the factory 58.

5 hp after doing all of those other mods is basically no power. ;)

We're running somewhere upward of 400 horsepower on our motor with a 62mm throttle body. I can't believe a 200 horsepower motor isn't going to get by at the factory 58.

Its actually not 58 only the bottom taper of the TB is 58mm. The rest is 61 mm i believe this is a DD so complete different spectrum i just want some more up hill and towing power.

4.56s with a 5 speed

You'd get more out of going to 4.88's.

(12% gain).

The engine won't care about the extra RPM's, and there's no hit to MPG.

i already have a hard time doing 65-70 without it revving too high. The gearing is perfect for now.

i think at around 65 im around 2500 rpms or something like that so for most areas where traffic flows at 70-75 its up there pretty good for a 4.0

Thats not high for a 4.0 at all. Downshift to 4th and run for a while, you'll see that it is very happy at 3000-3200. My camping rig sits at about 3100 on the highway.

We regularly run at 4,000 for an hour or more at a time and over 6,000 when passing people.

So i've talked about it a few times over the years, one of my best friends is a design engineer at Banks and designed a lot of their 4.0 mods (as well as they sponsor our race car).

I was just chatting with him and he sent me this article, he claims is the most reliable on 4.0 stuff.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/154-0911-jeep-4-liter-engine-myth-busting-true-lies/

5hp from a 62mm throttle body, only after doing a cold air intake, header and catback.

I'm actually surprised it is that much.

No gains from late model manifold at all.

And of course, there will be no gain from going to a larger injector unless you increase displacement, as the o2 will read rich and it will just scale the fuel back again. Same with increasing fuel pressure.

My issue I see was not all these mods were meant to increase hp. Over time it seems people starting thinking that.
Injectors weren't meant for hp gains, the 4hole was just meant to help better atomize the fuel to burn better. Help idle and maybe mpg not hp.
Also the 99'+ intake wasn't meant for hp but to allow a bit more low end torque from the smoother and smaller(higher velocity) tubes.
Now remember I read about this and learned about this a few years ago, maybe it's changed but as of today, it's seems like everyone thinks these mods were all about hp gains

I bought an entire blown up engine from a 2000 tj for 100 bucks so it had everything i needed for these mods basically,well worth it. using the 99 intake is worth it alone just by having the better serpentine belt adjustment compared to the crappy old style.

My issue I see was not all these mods were meant to increase hp. Over time it seems people starting thinking that.
Injectors weren't meant for hp gains, the 4hole was just meant to help better atomize the fuel to burn better. Help idle and maybe mpg not hp.
Also the 99'+ intake wasn't meant for hp but to allow a bit more low end torque from the smoother and smaller(higher velocity) tubes.
Now remember I read about this and learned about this a few years ago, maybe it's changed but as of today, it's seems like everyone thinks these mods were all about hp gains

WHERE, OH WHERE could we have got the idea that these mods were for power? Oh yeah, first sentance of your thread...

I'm slowly doing mods to my jeep to get a little more power since it keeps gaining weight and I need to pull a utility trailer around every now and then. Trying to do some mods for more power now while leading up to what I need to have for a stroker in the first place.

My engine is a completely stock 4.0 with 150k miles.

I have a 62mm bored throttle body, and a catback exhaust. Did I add any hp? Probably not, but throttle response has definitely increased. I had a cold air intake for awhile, but got rid of it because the shield I made was scraping on the hood. I noticed the engine lugged up hills better and I didn't need to downshift as often. Again, probably no hp gains, but certainly throttle response gains. My dad even commented on it after driving it once, and he didn't know I did anything to it. I will probably put the CAI back in once I fix the heat shield.

I tried the 4 hole injectors, and didn't notice too much. I might've had a 1 mpg gain, but I didn't run them long enough to tell. I had 2 sets of injectors from precision injectors and they leaked down over night, making cold starts require more cranking. After two sets that had the problem I just returned them and put the stock ones back in.

I wouldn't recommend these mods if you are looking for more HP on the dyno, especially with a stock engine, but I would say they are worth it if you want a little more throttle response.

My engine is a completely stock 4.0 with 150k miles.

I have a 62mm bored throttle body, and a catback exhaust. Did I add any hp? Probably not, but throttle response has definitely increased. I had a cold air intake for awhile, but got rid of it because the shield I made was scraping on the hood. I noticed the engine lugged up hills better and I didn't need to downshift as often. Again, probably no hp gains, but certainly throttle response gains. My dad even commented on it after driving it once, and he didn't know I did anything to it. I will probably put the CAI back in once I fix the heat shield.

I tried the 4 hole injectors, and didn't notice too much. I might've had a 1 mpg gain, but I didn't run them long enough to tell. I had 2 sets of injectors from precision injectors and they leaked down over night, making cold starts require more cranking. After two sets that had the problem I just returned them and put the stock ones back in.

I wouldn't recommend these mods if you are looking for more HP on the dyno, especially with a stock engine, but I would say they are worth it if you want a little more throttle response.

Funny you mentioned that i had 2 sets from the precision guy also i wasnt so impressed. Im running the factory deka simens ev6 now from a 2000 and they are only the 1 hole so ill see what they run like, regardless if these add power now. Later on they will for sure help with cam, headwork, stroker. Not decided yet if im going to do cam and headwork now then stroke later or if i should maybe just buy an entire stroker crate engine and be done with it.

Back