• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modified wheelbase/suspension guys....Front bumpstops, how to go about it?

Just bringing this one back to the top because I need to do what Wes was talking about. I also have Clayton's long arms and need to limit my comression to keep the new 35s off my fenders. When the front axle cycles up the pucks on the bottom won't hit the tower on top.

Wes, if you have remedied this, please let me know what you did. Pics if you have any.

Thanks,
Crunch

I was just getting ready to flip him crap about asking again. :D

I believe he went the route I did. At least he made me lookup where I bought them and how much I paid. :)

Remove the factory rubber stop and make a plate to go in it's place. There is a hole down the middle that is pretty close to the same size as the tower. You can then trim the insert to tune the compression. I didn't and the tire just barely clips the flare when stuffed hard.

http://www.bajaconcepts.com/brpnewsite/index.cfm

I used a pair of urethan coil spring inserts. I measured what lenght I needed and ordered the length that was closest to what I needed. I had a heck of a time finding them and when they were shipped I recieved two sets mistakenly so I have another set lying around. I can't remember the length of them but if your interested let me know and I'll measure them. I can't tell you how well they worked though, I sold the Jeep shortly after I installed them.

Hey Wes,

I am definitely interested in them. I haven't yet measured what length I need but I'm sure I can make them work. Did you get them from Prothane?

It sucks you sold the XJ. Are you building something else?

Hit me backchannel if you like to talk about getting rid of those bumpstops.
[email protected]

See ya,
Crunch

Hey Lincoln,

In your old post you had only been on a ramp with these inserts. Have you been on the trail and really twisted it up yet? If so, did it give you an idea how much they compress with a real load?
Mine flexed real nicely and came right to the fender lip when crawling onto my friend's 40" Boggers, then I got it on the trail, twisted it up and crushed my fenders. That was with the 33" XTerrains, now I have 35" MTRs and don't want the custom siping previously experienced.

Thanks,
Crunch

I only left about 3" between the tower and and I'm getting about 5" verticle up. It's real tough to say because when it articulates it doesn't use as much of the stop. I have the 10" inserts and I think I'm using a 6" lift spring or very close. I don't think it would come that close to the metal lip with how mine is setup.

There is a noticable slow down when traveling at speed. I can't really tell while crawling. I'm guessing that they compress about 1.5-2".

I did notice when I ramped it going up forward compressed it much less than backing up the ramp. I had plans to cut the 10" inserts off until I backed up the ramp and I have no plans to now after 1 1/2 years. I think they would be easy to cut with a recipocating saw while they were in.

Also, I'm using a ford lower mount and there isn't that 1" or so raised part in the center. I have some 3" aluminum stops if you'd rather go that route. The bolt in the middle and pretty well fill the center of the spring.

Hey Carpenter, a question

First, what size tires and rims(bs and width) are you running? I want the trxus mts in 34 or 35, but those look kinda fat to me.

Second, I have about 4.5-5" of lift and fender cutting w/34x9.5s. I put 2 hockey pucks on each side using black silicone type adhesive. I haven't wheeled it hard, but when flexed, the upper stock bump stop doesn't hit them squarely, and therefore broke them off. I don't think they're a good idea, even bolting them down. I'm looking for a better way too.

CB

Back