• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modding a lund visor to fit my XJ

KaiserMan

NAXJA Forum User
Started a small project today. Hit the swap meet at Tweeter Center in Mannsfield anc after measuring 20 or so Lund sun visors I came up dry. Everything was either far to wide or to narrow to fit an XJ/MJ. So toward the end of the day I found a soild, crack/gouge free non lighted visor from a 73-91 full size GM truck. Picked it up for $5.

Basically, besides being to wide and not fitting over the drip rails, it fits well. All of the mounting points fit up to the roof and a-piller fairly well. I've got both the left and right sides cut off about 6" into the visor. Tomorrow I'm going to start modding the end caps to fit around the drip rail and roof rack rails. Then I'm going to cut the center down to fit and my father (former pro. body man) is goint to give me a lesson in fiberglass. Should come out pretty well when it's done from what I've seen so far, and it sure as hell beats spending $300 for a correct one.

Pics tomorrow....probably.

Last edited:
I've got a love/hate relationship with Lund visors. Somedays I really like the way they look, some days I don't care for them.

But I do like they way they make the roof look longer and lower. Not sure if I will like the effect it has on viewing traffic lights though.

Going to pick up some stainless #12 sheet metal screws to moaunt it, and seal them up with a bit of silicoln(sp).

There's an XJ at the my local junkyard with a visor on it if you want me to grab it save you the trouble of modding that one. Also, I was at that swap meet today too. I got a good deal on a 401 intake and couple truck tool boxes.

There's an XJ at the my local junkyard with a visor on it if you want me to grab it save you the trouble of modding that one. Also, I was at that swap meet today too. I got a good deal on a 401 intake and couple truck tool boxes.

That would be awsome! I justs spent the last 3 hours working on my Lund. Not going to happen. The roof contours are just so different that I can't get it to line up straight front to back or side to side.

Still need that shock tower for your J10 btw? Was it a pass. or a drivers?

I scored an NOS in the box pair of stainless window vent shades for my 63 for $15 at the meet.

Thom.

i think they look kinda cool, but i know i'd end up cracking the poop out of it on the trail

Yeah, that would probably work better since it stays slightly pliable. I think I have a few tubes left in the garage.

Yeah I used to install a lot of visors back in the day. I found it sealed better plus the bolts they supplied would still rust out under the silicone and it would allow slight movement. I worked on a couple that flew off vehicles before switching to the wind. glue. Its what I'll use if I ever install the one I have in the basement.

Back