• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modded a bought bumper...

Thanks guys! I'm happy with everything but really the paint. I used a German spray paint (Hammerite) thinking it would be pretty good. At almost 20 bucks a spray can you'd think so... Well, Maybe it was cold where it was drying but after almost 4 days it is still "soft". Its dry but won't take much to rub it off. :( I don't know if it was the primer (also same brand for this product) or what but it sure doesn't seem like what I would expect from over a hundred freakin' bucks in paint. Oh well... if it causes issues I will have it blasted and powder coated or something... Other than that I'm happy. :)

I hope you never need to change a corner bulb ;)

Looks good, better than I was expecting. I like it!

Just noticed you're only using the stock 6 mounting bolts. Not the best idea with a winch. I'd think about welding on some extension plates to tie in the steering box bolts and some other holes on the framerails.

Bumper looks nice and beefy though, great work.

Just noticed you're only using the stock 6 mounting bolts. Not the best idea with a winch. I'd think about welding on some extension plates to tie in the steering box bolts and some other holes on the framerails.

Bumper looks nice and beefy though, great work.

JCR bumpers come with frame tie-in plates that "pre-bolt" to the frame rails and adds the reinforcement that XJs need.

JCR bumpers come with frame tie-in plates that "pre-bolt" to the frame rails and adds the reinforcement that XJs need.

I like how everyone assumes that the stock 6 bolts are the weak point of a bumper... Mine only uses the stock 6 bolts as well but I copied jcr's idea and lengthened the frame tie in plates.

I hope you never need to change a corner bulb ;)

Actually... if you mean the marker lights on the outside of the fenders, They can still be removed. I'll have to add a better pic of how I did that. :) As for the turn signals below the headlights, I believe there is still plenty of room for those to come out as well.

And relating to the 3 bolt questions...
Ben824 pretty much nailed it. The JCR kit adds mucho beef to what is kinda a joke from the factory. There are like the layers of compressed sheetmetal that the factory uses to hold the original tinfoil bumper on. The JCR kit uses 3/16s or 1/4" metal on BOTH sides of this. That thick plating grabs two extra holes in the front "cross member" on the inside as well as running down and along the outside to pick up 4 additional bolt holes along the way. The factory holes are really only used to save having to try and drill new ones and as locators. You probably have 3/8s to 1/2" of metal now for those "6" bolts (3 per side, now grade 8) to retain the winch. I can't imagine how anyone could add more beef to that without having an actual frame jeep??? *shrugs*

I like how everyone assumes that the stock 6 bolts are the weak point of a bumper... Mine only uses the stock 6 bolts as well but I copied jcr's idea and lengthened the frame tie in plates.

It isn't the bolts that people assume to be weak (though a grade 8 upgrade here is always a good idea), it is what the 6 bolts mount to. The layered sheet metal that the factory used to make the "frame" rails and the bumper mount is not strong enough to handle the pulling of a winch or even just a mount to put tow points. Even the Jeep knew that wasn't enough when they added tow point upgrades to these Jeeps they utilize nearly the same design as the aftermarket. I have factory tow hook brackets and they are identical to any aftermarket tow hook brackets and only different from frame tie-in plates in that the tie-in plates utilize the steering box bolts also to spread out the load.

Please tell us how you think 6 tiny bolts can handle the forces of winching without shearing.....

Please tell us how you think 6 tiny bolts can handle the forces of winching without shearing.....

Tell me how your going to sheer 4 1/2" bolts and 2 10mm bolt through a 1/2" of steel... especially when each 1/2" bolt has a sheer strength of almost 18,000 lbs plus the 2 10mm bolt behind it that has a sheer point of 10,000 lbs...

It's not the bolts that are the problem. It's the thin sheet metal that is the unibody. Frame tie-in plates solve that problem

Who is "everyone"? Like everyone or just the dude you're talking about?

Tell me how your going to sheer 4 1/2" bolts and 2 10mm bolt through a 1/2" of steel... especially when each 1/2" bolt has a sheer strength of almost 18,000 lbs plus the 2 10mm bolt behind it that has a sheer point of 10,000 lbs...

As I said before it isn't the bolts or the mount on the BUMPER that will be the fail point, it is the "frame" mount on the JEEP that will fail. You said you made frame tie-in plates to reinforce the frame just like everyone else, so you are good. Nobody is saying your bumper will rip off. However had you bolted the bumper up without the frame tie-in plates, then yes your point of failure would most certainly be at those 6 bolts since the metal on the JEEP, not the bumper, is not strong enough on it's own to handle heavy winching or pulling.

I started a firestorm! hahaha!
Honestly... if you don't think the 6 bolts are enough then feel free to show me how to add more bolts to a uni frame? And while I'm all for a little overkill... At some point it all comes to a head. *shrugs* Whatever... I'm comfortable with how it is mounted and won't have any issues using the winch. Not like I'm going to be taking my XJ climbing waterfalls or swing it from a tree...lol!

The winch itself have only 4 - 3/8" bolts holding it in place. Would that not be a weak link also?

What is the shear strength of 3/8" bolts? Anyone???

Add this kit or something similar:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/merch...creen=PROD&Category_Code=XJB&Product_Code=UNF

I wouldn't trust the stock 3 bolts for anything more then looks IMO. And like stated its not the shear of the bolts its the thin sheetmetal they go thru.

Exactly... I made templates and cut them out of 1/4" steel

7663008f.jpg

Then 1/4" plates for my mounts...

434F78BE-647A-42CC-87EB-012080CE72FB-461-000000213277B5DB.jpg

Then finished it off like this

0E73D72C-DAC2-44B6-B6CD-FFAD846AE7D8-2686-00000176599386BA.jpg

Back