• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ/XJ door speaker mounting depth ?

sportsguy

NAXJA Forum User
What is the mounting depth here? I'd like to mount a 6 1/2" speaker, but I have no idea, before I buy, if the windows will cycle all the way down with a 6 1/2" speaker in place and, obviously, I need to consider the mounting depth.

Any have these measurements?

Just looked over my 90 FSM and the best i can tell you is that the space was meant for a 5 1/4" speaker. I put aftermarket 5 1/4"s in my XJ and they had much more backspacing then stock, and my windows still work just fine.

I can't give you exact measurements, but if you just make the existing hole large enough for 6 1/2 they will fit in fine. I have 6 1/2 in mine. The hole is essentially directly under the vent window so it won't interfere with the operation of the main window. Ooops, I guess I am assuming you have a pre 97. Couldn't tell you about those.

I have 6.5" Infiniti reference 2 ways in my 95 XJ behind he factory grills with no issues. All I had to do was play with the speakers a little bit to get them to line up right in the factory spot and then drill some new holes. It really wasn't a big deal at all. If you look closely at the door, you can see the tweeter is pushing the grill out a little bit but its really not noticable unless you are looking for it.

sportsguy said:
Thanks guys - I'm off to look at 6 1/2" speakers :)

I've got Infinity 5002i 5.25" speakers all around in my '01 Sport and have no issues with the windows rolling down.

Having said that, comparing the 5002i with the 6002i (same thing only in 6"), the 6002i appears to have a mounting depth of 2.25" vs. 2-7/16" for the 5002i - the larger speaker actually requires *less* mounting depth. There's also a 6002si that's the same as the 6002i, only in a shallow-mount (1-7/8" depth) format; this may work for you. It looks like there's no shallow-mount equivalent to the 5002i, FWIW.

One caveat about the 6" speakers: you may have to cut out the existing speaker hole in the door frame to make it fit. I seem to remember trying the 6" units in there and they wouldn't quite fit - so I ended up using the 5.25" ones instead. Installation was pretty easy, but you will need to drill screw holes for them as they won't quite line up with the factory mounting holes.

And yes, I am a big fan of these speakers - I've had the 6002i all around in my car for the last two-plus years, which led me to get the 5002i for the Jeep after I picked it up. Even with them connected to the factory tape player, the sound is great. Can't wait to get a decent head unit in there in the next few months.

casm said:
I've got Infinity 5002i 5.25" speakers all around in my '01 Sport and have no issues with the windows rolling down.

Having said that, comparing the 5002i with the 6002i (same thing only in 6"), the 6002i appears to have a mounting depth of 2.25" vs. 2-7/16" for the 5002i - the larger speaker actually requires *less* mounting depth. There's also a 6002si that's the same as the 6002i, only in a shallow-mount (1-7/8" depth) format; this may work for you. It looks like there's no shallow-mount equivalent to the 5002i, FWIW.

One caveat about the 6" speakers: you may have to cut out the existing speaker hole in the door frame to make it fit. I seem to remember trying the 6" units in there and they wouldn't quite fit - so I ended up using the 5.25" ones instead. Installation was pretty easy, but you will need to drill screw holes for them as they won't quite line up with the factory mounting holes.

And yes, I am a big fan of these speakers - I've had the 6002i all around in my car for the last two-plus years, which led me to get the 5002i for the Jeep after I picked it up. Even with them connected to the factory tape player, the sound is great. Can't wait to get a decent head unit in there in the next few months.
I agree with the infinity's- these speakers run good of of low power, and im pretty sure they have cast frames insted of the cheap stamped-steel crap that will warp a little if you try to squeeze in 6-1/2 without cutting the stock spot- beware, many 6-1/2 are pretty deep- and there are many 5-1/2 equally as deep.

Thanks guys - I was actually looking at the infinity 5002i's today when I went to the shop - they were on sale.

I appreciate the feedback.

The actual mounting depth is just over 3 1/4"...

I installed my 6 1/2's yesterday - Alpines and the mounting ring they supplied meant zero cutting of the door sheet metal.

The door panels on the other hand...LOL We'll see how that turns out today...

Back