• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ - wiring issue - WTF!

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So replaced a couple gauges in my dash with some US versions .... OK easy enough. Toss the panel back in ... nothing gauges all dead, but it lights. pull panel check plugs, all good, pull wiggle reinsert, plop er back in. Works.
Add a few screws, still works
replace dash bezel still works.
replace radio, now dash clock and radio are dead.
check fuse block, eewwe, wiggle, scrape ... now dash is dead again.
Pull emissions timer since I was down there and it was annoying me ... futz with fuses and prying terminal back together ... dash works, but radio and dash clock are still dead.

Noticed the fuse block has seen some time with various weapons of mass destruction, a lot of the terminals are collapsed.
Not much for corrosion, doesn't look to be any clutch fluids leaks or any signs of previous leaks ... but is there any way to revive the fuse block terminals or do I need to find a new donor?

So did some testing ... it's a wire in the radio harness ... red with gold tracer ... apparently also feeds the clock. it has only ~5V to it so there isn't enough to feed the radio, and not enough to keep the clock on with the radio hooked up.

I'm going to replace all the fuses with new ones as well just to help things as much as I can. Looks like the best route is to run a dedicated power wire for now. The PO's radio install was a butcher job at best, pure massacre by my standards and I suck at wiring.

Anyone have an under dash wiring diagram for an 88 Comanche? With specifics to the clock/radio/cig lighter wiring? No tunes on a 250km drive is just plain suckyness.

yeah found the 88 MJ wiring guide ... looks like it's the ETR circuit (clock and radio only) a red/Tan wire. Hoping swapping the fuses will help but that fuse block is pretty crusty.

I have gauges, clock but no radio right now. Guess I'll have to live with it until I return from work.
Crappy shifts.

Just keeps getting better ... Replaced all fuses, still only getting 5v to radio. Plenty for the clock, not near enough for the radio.
Found the tail end of the cut stock antenna lead. Amd the other end of a craptastic aftermarket replacment that emds in a broken end at the box.
Also while heading up island to work the wipers decide to stop working ... In a rain storm ... Yay.
Turns out the circuit breaker was a little rusted out and snapped a leg off. Had to mickey duck a not so "universal" jobby in there till I get home next week.

IMAG0696_zps390dcc37.jpg

Yeah, that's really a marret in there ... WTF? There are more in the rear trailer harness spaghetti to fix as well ... I mean really?!?
IMAG0700_zpsbd5d1e1e.jpg

IMAG0701_zps84930203.jpg

All from this (SAE temp and oil pressure on cdn metric panel).

IMAG0695_zps3ae839a8.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck. I pulled the carpet in my '92 to check for rust and when I reinstalled none of the dash lights work. Blinkers, radio and fuel light work fine. Driving me nuts.

Back